Prosecutors Ask For Hearing On How Baez Is Getting Paid

Taking a stab at a prediction. The Judge will have a hearing. JB will be required to disclose the dollar amounts for his services and how payments are received, but not the specific service rendered -- the description beside each line item for the billing. JB will probably have to produce the retainer agreement and any updates in a closed session or in chambers.

I agree there will be a hearing and JB will not be required to disclose privileged info such as descriptions typically logged by billable hours. Yes, to the retainer and the source of payments; maybe on the amounts, is my prediction. This guy is incapable of citing an authority to support his cause, it appears and it's not the court's job to do his homework for him. I'm guessing the state will have more at hearing. Also, am betting the court will want a proffer from the state as to evidence of same. But I think they've got it or wouldn't have filed.

And as they're finding out how much and from where the money is coming, how about going ahead with the ZG case and financial crimes cases, so that while there's some money out there, maybe ZG and Amy and BOA and others can get a slice.

From your keyboard to the prosecution's monitors. Not only should those victims be allowed to recover damages while recovery may be possible, it offends me on a personal level that the defense likes to tout how innocent KC is; no previous contact with the legal system. Duh, cos you got it postponed!! Otherwise, she'd be convicted of uttering a forged instrument!

I know! Whine whine whine but no decent points and authorities! What about framing an issue, background facts with supporting exhibits, citations, prayer for relief and a proposed order? A major national murder case and none of these! Shocking! :waitasec:

The question to me is not that it's not in KC's best interest, but it's not in JB's best intereest. jmo. I have NEVER seen any motions as poorly written as his appear to be. I don't think "It's not fair" is a legal excuse. My daughter can write a better motion than he can and she's only in a Junior College.

The question to me is not that it's not in KC's best interest, but it's not in JB's best intereest. jmo. I have NEVER seen any motions as poorly written as his appear to be. I don't think "It's not fair" is a legal excuse. My daughter can write a better motion than he can and she's only in a Junior College.

So can mine. And she's in kindergarten. Ok, well at least her big sisters can. :)

And as they're finding out how much and from where the money is coming, how about going ahead with the ZG case and financial crimes cases, so that while there's some money out there, maybe ZG and Amy and BOA and others can get a slice.

ZFG's damages occurred and she has suffered since all this began. She deserves something for the hell that KC's use of her name has brought upon her. I see no good reason to hold off on this case until after the murder case. Her civil suit is not dependent upon the results of a murder charge. Her damages occur from KC and the Anthony family throwing her name out into the public as a kidnapper. Whether KC murdered her child or not has nothing to do with the fact that KC gave her name out as a kdinapper back in July. And then her family continued to spin the ZFG name.

Well, what's so bad is that he NEVER cites case law in his motions or replies.

I can ask my little one to loan him some of her crayons if you think it may help...

ETA: NM She's too smart to risk not getting them back. :)

I just hope the details do come out. I knew JB wasn't doing this for free and he didn't seem worried that Casey supposedly had no money coming in.

I bet there is a huge paper trail.

I wonder if everyone on the defense team are aware of where their pay is coming from? No one seems worried about getting paid. If no one else, I would bet that LKB knows where the money is coming from.

I bet Mrs. JB will be interested in the amount of money involved here,and the source,especially when it comes to the big"D",and I don't mean defense.

I bet Mrs. JB will be interested in the amount of money involved here,and the source,especially when it comes to the big"D",and I don't mean defense.

*thinking*

....the big "D"...????? the big "D"...????? OH!!! That big D! :blushing:

You aren't kidding! The one time I remember when he did, the case law he cited didn't even apply or back up his argument!

The A's have made money for pics, interviews, and video in my opinion. KC is an adult and they would not be responsible for her debts incurred for her legal defense. What happens if after the trial KC declares bankruptcy without paying the lawyers or the experts since it will be the A's that are getting paid? KC's previous behavior shows that she doesn't mind owing people money if it benefits her!

Commending all the legal eagles who brought forward the interesting issues from esteemed Baez's most recent motions!

1) Who lets a client make a statement *in her own handwriting* regarding guilt or innocence in a side motion that affects her criminal AND civil suits, for which she had sought either 5th Amendment rights or attorney? whoa. That can be on the stand AND gives civil pros a way in.

2) Bold Baez lets public know there is yet another video that might affect his client's right to a fair trial (atty and client).

3) Merely technical, but JB never cites case law but only media rumor (footnote to NG?). What an odd defense, he brings it up and underscores it himself.

: )

If it's true KC hasn't signed anything authorizing him to sell anything, then doesn't KC also have to pay taxes on this money?
As to ZFG, Amy and whoever else...ITA they should get their cut of that pie and I hope JM gets after it real soon.

I just read on the today's news thread that JB's new spokesperson stated that JB hired a legal ethics expert to essentially make sure what he does is above-board. What lawyer does that? Normally if a lawyer has an ethics question they ask the state bar for an opinion on it. If a lawyer is under investigation then yes, normally they would hire an ethics expert to defend them. But to retain one on a case? Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Makes me wonder what he's up to.

Isn't JB under a new investigation by the Florida Bar? Could this be why he retained a legal ethics expert?

JB has been b'ing and moaning about some alleged misconduct regarding a visit with KC, but hasn't explained what visit or what type of misconduct. Now WESH is talking about an alleged taping of JB with KC. That does concern me.

I am not a legal expert but I always thought that attorney/client communications were priveledged. So if it did happen, that does concern me as far as KC's trial goes. But how would JB know if he was taped, unless he was told about it?

I can only think of two ways in which a taping might have been done, one has more repercussions than another. Someone forgot to turn the recording equipment off, or turned the wrong one on... in other words an accident. The other way and I am not sure they can do it, or how they could do it.... but if they believed that there was some misconduct between JB and KC within the jail, could they tape it? Would they need a court order (and of course that order would have to be sealed.) Several here have questioned the relationship between KC and JB. Could the jail staff have been questioning that also?

So what are the legal ramifications of this?

Casey Anthony: State is mad because i won't take plea deal
Willoughby Mariano | Sentinel Staff Writer
5:03 PM EDT, March 10, 2009
Today's updates:

5:01 p.m. In a sworn affidavit just released, Casey Anthony said her agreement with defense attorney Jose Baez "does not contain any clauses or parts that allow or entitle him to any rights that would allow him to sell my 'story,' or that of my daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony." It also includes a hand-written message that the prosecutor who thinks there is such a deal "is angry because I have refused to take a plea agreement for a crime that I DID NOT COMMIT."
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...asey-anthony-jose-baez-031009,0,3939171.story

Guess she is not in a good mood today. :)

ETA: there's a pic of the affidavit with her handwritten note to one of the prosecutors on the Sentinel's main page.

Makes me wonder just what her exclusive interview would have been about that Baez has been rumored to be shopping around for half a million bucks, if it isn't her story or that of little Caylee.

Was she planning to talk about the high cost of rice or the recent peanut recall?

JB has been b'ing and moaning about some alleged misconduct regarding a visit with KC, but hasn't explained what visit or what type of misconduct. Now WESH is talking about an alleged taping of JB with KC. That does concern me.

I am not a legal expert but I always thought that attorney/client communications were priveledged. So if it did happen, that does concern me as far as KC's trial goes. But how would JB know if he was taped, unless he was told about it?

I can only think of two ways in which a taping might have been done, one has more repercussions than another. Someone forgot to turn the recording equipment off, or turned the wrong one on... in other words an accident. The other way and I am not sure they can do it, or how they could do it.... but if they believed that there was some misconduct between JB and KC within the jail, could they tape it? Would they need a court order (and of course that order would have to be sealed.) Several here have questioned the relationship between KC and JB. Could the jail staff have been questioning that also?

So what are the legal ramifications of this?

Mark NeJame stated in an article that it is a well-known common practice for the jail to videotape everything. For JB to be a criminal defense attorney, he certainly looks foolish by showing how uneducated he is on these matters. I mean, hugging KC, not once, but twice, and after being reprimanded by jail personnel for it, bringing in clothing from home without going through it for contraband, and now claiming to not know normal jail procedure? Amazing.

IMO, videotaping is not compromising privilege if it is done without audio or close ups of paperwork.

The A's have made money for pics, interviews, and video in my opinion. KC is an adult and they would not be responsible for her debts incurred for her legal defense. What happens if after the trial KC declares bankruptcy without paying the lawyers or the experts since it will be the A's that are getting paid? KC's previous behavior shows that she doesn't mind owing people money if it benefits her!
With that legal team, oh my, I think she'd bring down the wrath of g-d!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simwolves
Back