Public fund raised to find Madeleine may be wiped out by legal action

MelmothTheLost

Reaction score
Public fund to find Madeleine McCann could be wiped out if Kate and Gerry are forced to pay £750,000 to detective who claimed they covered up her death in upcoming court case

A fund set up to help find Madeleine McCann could be wiped out if her parents lose a court case which is due to start in the next few weeks.

Kate and Gerry McCann are returning to court to fight against the ex-detective who claimed they were responsible for Madeleine's death.

If they lose the case the pair will be forced to pay Goncalo Amaral £750,000, after he made a bid to sue them for compensation.

Fund to find Madeleine McCann could be WIPED OUT in court case | Daily Mail Online

As the “fund” is run by a limited company, with a board of directors, and isn’t a registered charity (the Charity Commission turned down charity status) and the money has to come from somewhere I guess that’s how.

As the “fund” is run by a limited company, with a board of directors, and isn’t a registered charity (the Charity Commission turned down charity status) and the money has to come from somewhere I guess that’s how.

This is the information page about the fund:

About Us: | findmadeleine.com

The fund, as a legal entity in its own right, separate from its directors and shareholders, cannot become liable for anything payable to the Portuguese detective unless (1) it was the legal entity that was sued rather than the McCanns personlly, or (2) the directors of the legal entity voted to allow the company's funds to be used for that purpose AND the company's Articles of Association allowed the directors to do so. I see one of the current directors is a solicitor so I would be very surprised if the company was acting inappropriately or in any way illegally.

£750,000 would be a hell of a lot for the McCanns to find personally, even for a long-standing NHS consultant and a GP. If they were personally liable to pay the sum they could both be looking at bankruptcy or something very near it.

Perhaps the Tapas Seven might magnanimously make up some of the difference with part of the 2008 £375,000 libel payout from Express Newspapers they received.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519
Back