Read this - Post from another hiker- details about GMH a bit..

BTW, one of the backpackers that lives in Damascus thinks GMH used his phone during Trail Days last year. He made his phone available for thru-hikers to call home during TD. There were some thefts in the city's campground, but someone would remember him if GMH had stayed there.

For those not familiar with this event, Trail Days is a huge backpacker homecoming. Probably between 750 and 1,000 people stay in a campground provided by the city. In the past few years the partying has just gotten out-of-control enough that many of us won't stay in the city campground.

Below is a pic a part of the campground in 2006 to give those who haven't been to TD what it is like:
TrailDays2006-ThetentCity.jpg

And that is just a very small part, I bet. I hear that 10,000 people actually hit town for TD...not just to camp, but to go to Trail Days.

That's why I stay at my little campground!

I keep wondering if LE checked the pawn shops for things that Hilton may have sold from his victims? Anyone hear if they have looked around?

I keep wondering if LE checked the pawn shops for things that Hilton may have sold from his victims? Anyone hear if they have looked around?

I recently had to sell some things at a pawn shop. I was amazed at the info gathered. There is no way a respectful pawn shop would not have the info gathered. No way. They have a hotline to LE in case of fraud. The info required is unbelieveable and this is when you are selling. Can you imagine if you are buying? These people know know a lot about fraud. They are not neophytes.

Yes, even the questionable pawnshops collect information. (I had a bike stolen and then sold at a very questionable pawnshop.The pawnshop had the name and address of the thief, who was then arrested for stealing my bike!)

Don't know if Hilton would have dared to go to a pawn shop because of that...
Hilton had a history of selling stolen goods at flea markets, though... How much info. do you have to give a flea market before you set up?

I wouldn't think you give any info at a flea market. Just your name and pay your booth fee. So, you are correct as far as him having stolen goods listed in the items for sale at a flea market. No one would check further.

As long as I have been in the antiques/resale business, I can say that GMH would not have stood out as a flea marketer...they are the roughest of all the dealers whom I run into. Some are pretty scary.

At the Bryant thread with the van inventory, there didn't look like he had much with resale value to peddle anywhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lorenco
Back