CANADA Robert James Brown 12 missing from Wilfrid, Ontario Aug 68

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for him...

The Doe Network: Case File 2259DMON

https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?
case=2006028499&id=17

On August 3, 1968, at approximately 4:30 p.m., Robert James Brown was last seen walking from the Nazarene Camp to his home in the Village of Wilfred, Ontario. The Nazarene Camp was a Christian camp near Pefferlaw, where Robert's mother worked as a volunteer. He never arrived home and was reported missing to the Georgina Township Police Service. There were reports that a person matching Robert's description was seen in the vicinity of Georgina Beach around the time that Robert was last seen. Numerous land and water searches failed to locate Robert.

showImage

There was a discussion of this case on the old Canada's Unsolved Forum. Unfortunately, that site shut down. If anyone has info on this case, articles etc, I would really appreciate it if you would post it.
Thank you
Couldn't find a thread for him...

https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?
case=2006028499&id=17

On August 3, 1968, at approximately 4:30 p.m., Robert James Brown was last seen walking from the Nazarene Camp to his home in the Village of Wilfred, Ontario. The Nazarene Camp was a Christian camp near Pefferlaw, where Robert's mother worked as a volunteer. He never arrived home and was reported missing to the Georgina Township Police Service. There were reports that a person matching Robert's description was seen in the vicinity of Georgina Beach around the time that Robert was last seen. Numerous land and water searches failed to locate Robert.

showImage

Robert James Brown

Missing since August 3, 1968 from Pefferlaw, Nazarene Camp, Ontario, Canada
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: May 28, 1956
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'5-4'6" (137-139 cm); 83-85 lbs. (38-39 kg)
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Straight, blond, short hair; hazel eyes. Medium build. Freckled complexion.
    • Clothing: Plaid, red and black shirt; blue jeans and black work boots.
    • AKA: Robbie
Circumstances of Disappearance

On August 3, 1968, at approximately 16:30, Robert James Brown was last seen walking to his residence in the Village of Wilfred, Ontario, from the Nazarene Camp.

The Nazarene Camp was a Christian camp where Robert's mother worked as a volunteer. He failed to arrive home and was reported missing to the Georgina Township Police Service.

The investigation revealed that a person matching Robert James Brown's description was observed in the vicinity of Georgina Beach at the approximate time that Robert was last seen. Numerous land and water searches failed to locate him.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Ontario Provincial Police
Missing Persons and Unidentified Bodies/Remains Unit
1-877-934-6363 - Toll Free in North America
705-330-4144 - Local or outside of North America

Email: opp.isb.resolve@jus.gov.on.ca

OR
Crime Stoppers
1-800-222-TIPS (8477)

Agency Case Number: 20060284

Source Information:
OPP

Here is an article on him. Police continue to search for answers in 40-year-old case of missing Georgina boy He was seen alone on the beach. I wonder if he fell in and drowned? Or was he taken while walking home? This is really sad. Here is a pic of Pefferlaw's beach
1acf15a9065c55ef2398f5a5e4ea3756-300.jpg

I've wondered a few things in this case actually:
1. He was out late the night before with friends, he attended some sort of local carnival (source: his mother wrote a book, and she wrote about this incident). Title is:
Vanished - What happened to my son? Kindle Edition
by Rose McCormick Brandon (Author), Shirley Brown (Author)

2. What sort of work did his mother do as a volunteer at the Church of the Nazarene? Robbie left the church on his own - did another volunteer / or someone from the church see him leave and follow? Offer to drive him home?

3. I doubt that it played as as noted above only b/c his brother reported YEARS later that he'd seen Robbie walking down the road that afternoon and had waved to him as he drove past. Where was his brother when he waved exactly? Robbie waved back, so he obviously noticed his bro as he drove past him.

4. APparently the last person to see him was a park attendant. Its believed he want back to HOlmes POint Road and was seen by a camper, and 3 teens also apparently saw him at a restaurant (that is not there anymore). Were the teens POSITIVE they saw Robbie? How were they sure? Were the staff there questioned? The sighting by three teens was at 5:30pm. What was Robbie doing specifically ? Waiting for someone? Eating? Drinking? Talking to someone?

In her book, Robbie's mother notes they received many letters from people praying for them. Some from folks they knew, some from folks they didn't know. Did police see the letters and investigate all senders / authors??

Robbie's mom also wrote that two boys went missing in 1967 - a year before Robbie. The boys aren't named though. Do we have any idea who they would be? They were apparently also 12 when they went missing. I'm going to look for info on that case as well. She indicated she wondered if that case could at all be connected to Robbie's as they were found not too far from where Robbie was last seen.

Robbie was meant to deliver papers that evening. His papers were found where they were usually left for him to pick up and deliver. Was the person who dropped the papers off ever interviewed? What time did he drop the papers off? Where did he go after?

Robbie's mother wrote in her book that Ross Jr. remembered police talking with folks around town. Some in uniform, some not. Do police have a record of who did those checks? I'm wondering if someone posed as a cop or if a plainclothes "cop" was looking for info to insert himself into the investigation?

Where exactly did Mike (his 6yr old bro) wave to him along the route? Any chance that confirmed sighting could be used to verify Robbie was heading home?

November 10, 2008 issue

Local news media shows LE reopened investigation in 2008. Article notes that LE got a tip from Western Ontario in Aug 2008 but it wasn't even followed up on until this media ran an article in Oct 2008. Nothing appears to have come of the tip or re-opening. :(

Oct10

This is the article before the last post. It notes Cedardale Camp as the campground from which he was walking home. It further notes police were interested in a Pedophile from Toronto who was known to be in the area at the time. Guess nothing came of that lead either.

There is information online to suggest that in 2014 police received a tip naming the person responsible for Robbie's abduction, but apparently that tip was cleared by 2016. Its not an official source that I know of, so I'm not posting a link, but you can find it by searching "Robbie Brown missing tip 2016" on google.

So? What has been done by LE since? Why is this still a cold case? I'd like to know why LE don't release more information in these matters?

I have the impression that this child was kidnapped on the beach or perhaps he saw someone he knew and he betrayed him but he is alive, I don't think this has been many years and these are the same ones that his family has been looking for him...
rest in peace

I have the impression that this child was kidnapped on the beach or perhaps he saw someone he knew and he betrayed him but he is alive, I don't think this has been many years and these are the same ones that his family has been looking for him...
rest in peace

It does seem possible that he was kidnapped for sure. He'd been to a community carnival the night before with friends and had missed his curfew, prompting his father to pick him up. He was scolded for it, but the scolding doesn't seem to harsh based on how his own mother recounts the story in her book: Vanished: What Happened To My Son by Shirley Brown (which is available as an e-book for a small fee on Amazon).

I've never been able to determine anything further about the carnival such as who he went with, or which company hosted the fair. Was this a carnival with rides and games or was it just a petting zoo type thing? I've no idea. It would be interesting to know whether it was a travelling carnival with workers who may have set up camp, stayed in trailers and then left town at the end of the event? How long were they there for? Were the workers (and or volunteers) interviewed by police?

Per the same account by his mother, she wrote that he left her company at about 4pm. He was to go home and do his paper route, which had 6 houses. He originally was going to go return to meet her at the camp where she was working, but then changed his mind and noted he would stay home after doing his papers. It seems he never got to his papers as his father found them undelivered when Robbie's absence was noticed around 6:30pm that evening. His father and brother ended up delivering the papers for him.

Police found a witness at the beach, a parking attendant who said she'd seen Robbie at 4:15pm. Apparently she had a conversation with him and went to help a customer. On her return, he was gone. I don't know who the witness was or how she was sure it was Robbie that she'd spoken with. No idea how long after police spoke with her or if any other witnesses were found that day (again, all from Shirley Brown's book).

We know from the same book that Robbie's little brother Michael had seen him walking along the road and had waved to him as he passed by in the car of a family friend. It does seem clear he at least made it back to the beach that day after parting ways with his mother.

So was he there to meet someone in particular? It seems that perhaps he was to me. If he was dragged away kicking and screaming, surely there would have been witnesses. But he wasn't. He quietly vanished and no one seems to know where to, or why. I do not believe as some do that he went back to the beach to swim. There were no clothes belonging to him found in the area, and he had been wearing clothes over his swimming attire, so surely they'd have found something if he'd taken them off to dip in the lake. I'd love to know who the parking attendant witness was and pick her brains about what she saw. Anyone she noticed or how things seemed to her at the time - they must have seemed fairly average because it doesn't seem anything set off alarm bells enough for us to know about it. I'd like to meet with whoever his friends were as well. Who did he go to the carnival with? What did they know or suspect might have happened to Robbie?

So was he there to meet someone in particular? It seems that perhaps he was to me.
This was my immediate assessment too.
I have not read his mom's book but it seems to me that while he was at the beach earlier in the day he must have spoken to someone, or seen something, that made him want to head back that day. It seems like he didn't tell his mom he was going back to the beach and therefore it was probably something she would not have approved of. The fact that he told her not to worry "if he didn't return from his paper round as he'll just hang around the house" tells me that he never had any intention of going home and returning - I believe he was always planing on going back to that beach.
But I don't really know why. I'd love to know what he spoke to the parking attendant about too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elaguileno81
Back