SC SC - Dail Dinwiddie, 23, Columbia, 24 Sep 1992

Well cold cases older then her case have definitely been solved before…but I feel like a new investigation would have to be opened. Someone would need to go back to square one and talk to people who are still alive.

But I definitely agree, I feel like that recent case may have something to do with hers. Often times, people are repeated offenders. So, whether it is tied to that case or not, I have a feeling her case is tied into other missing person cases around SC.

Are you talking about Dail’s case or Jessica’s case?
Either way though, I don’t have an answer.
Oh I was talking about Dail’s. I didn’t look up too much info on Jessica’s case, although I am glad her family got closure finally!

My coworker brought up Jessica’s and then started talking about the Murdaugh cases. I watched the abc 20/20 episode on those cases the other day! Very shady stuff surrounding those deaths!

She said she remembered Dail’s flyers around town. In 1999, she was waiting for her friend to pick her up in Five Points and almost got into the wrong car. Once she realized it was the wrong car, she shut the door but the guys still tried to get her to get in. It was a dark empty parking lot. Thankfully, she’s okay, but she does see how people could mistakenly get into the wrong car.

Over the years I've developed a theory about this case (I was 17 when this happened, lived in the Midlands, and this case scared the bejesus out of me). I think it was someone she knew, someone who lived in one of the apartment buildings/condos that are close to where she disappeared (there are two that I can think of). Maybe she was going to a friend's place to call for a ride, but she trusted the wrong "friend" and something happened. I do wonder, like someone mentioned above, if that "friend" either had a powerful family or was powerful themselves. If they were, that could explain why she's never been found. People are too scared to say anything. But thus is just a theory!

Over the years I've developed a theory about this case (I was 17 when this happened, lived in the Midlands, and this case scared the bejesus out of me). I think it was someone she knew, someone who lived in one of the apartment buildings/condos that are close to where she disappeared (there are two that I can think of). Maybe she was going to a friend's place to call for a ride, but she trusted the wrong "friend" and something happened. I do wonder, like someone mentioned above, if that "friend" either had a powerful family or was powerful themselves. If they were, that could explain why she's never been found. People are too scared to say anything. But thus is just a theory!
Do you remember the case getting a lot of attention?

I read through dozens of archived newspaper articles and there just wasn’t a lot of information in them! There were two guys who were mentioned talking to her and their sketches were in the newspaper…but then the police said one came forward when he saw his sketch and they were cleared. However, that was the first time I had ever seen that mentioned. The conversation they had with Dail wasn’t mentioned which was frustrating.

After reading through many articles, I found out that the parking garage on corner of Harden and Hampton was still under construction at the time of her disappearance. Someone several years ago on one of the forums had asked if that area was ever checked so who knows…

I read through dozens of archived newspaper articles and there just wasn’t a lot of information in them! There were two guys who were mentioned talking to her and their sketches were in the newspaper…but then the police said one came forward when he saw his sketch and they were cleared. However, that was the first time I had ever seen that mentioned. The conversation they had with Dail wasn’t mentioned which was frustrating.

After reading through many articles, I found out that the parking garage on corner of Harden and Hampton was still under construction at the time of her disappearance. Someone several years ago on one of the forums had asked if that area was ever checked so who knows…

I lived in the Midlands back then and the case got a ton of attention.
That being said, very little was released to the public about the actual investigation and what police were looking at. That’s understandable but it led to rumors of coverups, and led to little pop-up rumors every few years out of the blue.
After so many years, why not release the case file. Redact names if need be. Keeping It quiet after all this time still makes it seems like they are protecting someone.
Haven’t heard anything about that Gregory fellow in awhile.

I lived in the Midlands back then and the case got a ton of attention.
That being said, very little was released to the public about the actual investigation and what police were looking at. That’s understandable but it led to rumors of coverups, and led to little pop-up rumors every few years out of the blue.
After so many years, why not release the case file. Redact names if need be. Keeping It quiet after all this time still makes it seems like they are protecting someone.
Haven’t heard anything about that Gregory fellow in awhile.
Right! There were quite a few articles but a lot of it focused on making the streets safer…which by all means is very important. I just can’t believe nothing has been leaked after so many years. No one has confessed. I have seen several people post about different people she talked to throughout the night but like you said, nothing is released to the public. Something someone remembers could be the key even if they don’t think it’s that important. Are they scared to
come forward with information? Are they that good at keeping secrets?

Yeah, I haven’t heard or seen anything about Gregory either.

i've live here in columbia all my life & i can confirm the case got a ton of attention. i was in my early teens at the time (im 43 now), but i've never forgot about this case. i can remember bumper stickers w/ her face on them....posters all over the place...etc.

i've live here in columbia all my life & i can confirm the case got a ton of attention. i was in my early teens at the time (im 43 now), but i've never forgot about this case. i can remember bumper stickers w/ her face on them....posters all over the place...etc.
What do you think happened?

What do you think happened?
ive always wondered....but after following this thread the past few years, i do believe it had to be somebody in some sort of powerful position w/ political ties. way back in this thread somebody mentioned she may have been buried at a construction site not long before the concrete was poured down & building was erected. i had never thought of that before, but it makes sense to me. i mean, if she is buried under a building how would she ever be found?? who is going to say 'well we have a hunch that dail may be buried under your office, so we gonna have to tear it down to find out'....i dont see that ever happening! that, or either she was dumped in a lake/ocean dexter-style. in my mind, those are the only 2 options when it comes to a body NEVER being found after all this time.

now as to who specifically did it or what happened that night. i have no clue. its basically why this is only 1 of 2 threads here i have set to give me notifications for when a reply is posted. (the other is faye swetlik, but thats a pretty cut & dry case now so it rarely gets any posts any more)

ive always wondered....but after following this thread the past few years, i do believe it had to be somebody in some sort of powerful position w/ political ties. way back in this thread somebody mentioned she may have been buried at a construction site not long before the concrete was poured down & building was erected. i had never thought of that before, but it makes sense to me. i mean, if she is buried under a building how would she ever be found?? who is going to say 'well we have a hunch that dail may be buried under your office, so we gonna have to tear it down to find out'....i dont see that ever happening! that, or either she was dumped in a lake/ocean dexter-style. in my mind, those are the only 2 options when it comes to a body NEVER being found after all this time.

now as to who specifically did it or what happened that night. i have no clue. its basically why this is only 1 of 2 threads here i have set to give me notifications for when a reply is posted. (the other is faye swetlik, but thats a pretty cut & dry case now so it rarely gets any posts any more)
Yep that was the site that I went looking for dates on construction. The county offices at corner of harden and Hampton. The actual buildings were complete in June or July of 1992 (obviously before disappearance) but the parking garage structure wasn’t complete until 1993…which made that “rumor” more interesting…

It’s widely known (or talked about) that her friends left without seeing her and assuming she got ride with the rest…but did they all check with each other? One of the friends mentioned seeing her as he walked out…but then it’s stated they couldn’t find her when they left one by one…so that just always confused me.

The bar doesn’t look that big; then again I’m sure it was packed…

back then....those bars were always packed on the wkends. 5 points as a whole was. i imagine it still is nowadays but i never go down there.
I can imagine...I only walked down in that area to see how far the Greene/Harden intersection was. I don't think this was a random snatching because my guess would be the streets were packed with people that night. I think several people would have remembered something if that were the case.

People don't just vanish and I wonder if LE is really at a dead end with the case or if they know more and just won't release information yet. I really wish her parents could get answers.

I've followed this case since it happened in September, 1992. Something about this case really made an impression on me. I'm from SC and was 30 when this happened. I have periodically checked back in looking for new info. I've been to 5 points as a college student, with it being that crowded that night it doesn't make sense no one saw her get in a car or get abducted. I still believe someone remembers something from that night but they are too scared to talk. I watch every true crime documentary I can find because, I"m a junkie, and years ago spent way too much time on this forum. I've learned it's not uncommon for someone to hold in info for 30 years out of fear. Her body is somewhere, or at least parts are. I always expected a hunter to stumble across her in the woods, but no. I can't imagine her family's pain all these years. I wish LE had been a little more forthcoming with info because they have released very little and it has always seemed as if early on they threw up their hands. I read that the bouncer at Jungle Jims watched her walk up the street for a good ways until he couldn't see her anymore.
The theory that y'all have proposed that it was a family with clout that shushed this investigation makes a lot of sense. Columbia has quite a number of very wealthy, well-connected families, I mean for goodness sakes one of our Senators from Columbia, attorney Dick Harpootlian, is defending Alex Murdaugh. The good ol boy network thrives in SC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kelc3769
Back