SC SC - Fort Motte, Congaree River, Calhoun County Jane Doe 1971, WhtFem 17-35, UP61811, Oct'71

Wow, I'm so impressed with the sleuthing WS users do on the cases they follow! I've been meaning to come back to this conversation to update her mitochondrial DNA discovery and got busy.

Thank you, @victoriarobinson642 for noticing that change in NamUs. It had only been up a few days when you saw it and posted it here! Yes, this young lady has now been correctly identified as having African American maternal roots. In several extraction attempts we have only been able to get enough usable DNA to identify her mtDNA haplogroup.

Please cross everything you've got for her. We've been working on extracting her DNA for several months and had to get out the big guns after several failures. Unfortunately, her head, hands and feet were removed for dental studies and fingerprinting and were most likely lost in a flood at the university used by the county in the 1970s. Without teeth or petrous bones, we are highly limited in available DNA-rich samples.

But we're not giving up on her yet! Think positive!
Any updates?

Oof, my bad, I copied the wrong UP number. The Doe from SC that was removed is UP70316.

Thank you for catching my mistake, sorry about that.

I've been wracking my brain on this one. What if Jane Doe was younger than the estimated 17 years of age? Phyllis Gilliam was 11 when she went missing, just up the Congaree river in Columbia, SC on August 16, 1971. Could she have been abducted near her Grandma's apartment and then dumped into the river?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oiueroiuweoiruoiwueroiuwe
Back