Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

Yeah, I wondered about this. I assume they must have recently been informed of something? Otherwise, it would seem an odd move to go forward with this on the basis of probability.
I, too, wonder about this. I think the family/brother of AK wants to try to ensure that DK doesn't dispose of any property (real estate or other) that may be jointly owned by AK. If Henao can convince the probate court in Florida that AK is missing and presumed deceased, then perhaps the probate court can appoint a conservator for AK's estate for the five-year waiting period for missing persons which would possibly put a hold on some of the marital assets. If there is evidence that AK is actually deceased (not just presumed deceased) before the five-year waiting period for missing persons, then the court can make that declaration of her death. I am guessing it is just to have a holding pattern of some of the assets.

But the strange thing is, that if AK is declared deceased in five years or sooner, then DK inherits the full estate. Perhaps Henao and the family believe that before the five year period is up, there will be evidence to charge DK with AK's murder. That may be what they are hoping for and planning for, so the conservatorship is really to represent AK as a missing person or "Absentee" with regard to her estate. I really doubt that Henao is going to show the Probate Court evidence from law enforcement that AK is deceased.

All of the above is JMO and IANAL.

I, too, wonder about this. I think the family/brother of AK wants to try to ensure that DK doesn't dispose of any property (real estate or other) that may be jointly owned by AK. If Henao can convince the probate court in Florida that AK is missing and presumed deceased, then perhaps the probate court can appoint a conservator for AK's estate for the five-year waiting period for missing persons which would possibly put a hold on some of the marital assets. If there is evidence that AK is actually deceased (not just presumed deceased) before the five-year waiting period for missing persons, then the court can make that declaration of her death. I am guessing it is just to have a holding pattern of some of the assets.

But the strange thing is, that if AK is declared deceased in five years or sooner, then DK inherits the full estate. Perhaps Henao and the family believe that before the five year period is up, there will be evidence to charge DK with AK's murder. That may be what they are hoping for and planning for, so the conservatorship is really to represent AK as a missing person or "Absentee" with regard to her estate. I really doubt that Henao is going to show the Probate Court evidence from law enforcement that AK is deceased.

DK is not a suspect and it has not been proven that Ana has been murdered.

Good point, so likely Henao will just provide information that AK is missing and presumed dead based on whatever evidence he has, if any.

And, of course, DK's lawyer (current or new estate lawyer) will also be able to go to probate court and request conservatorship of the estate of his missing spouse. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

She could be deceased but not murdered.
Yes, but they will have to present evidence to the judge in probate court that describes why they think she is deceased (accident, self-harm, murder), otherwise she could have gone off on her own as a missing person and then the 5-year waiting period would apply.

jmo

Yes, but they will have to present evidence to the judge in probate court that describes why they think she is deceased (accident, self-harm, murder), otherwise she could have gone off on her own as a missing person and then the 5-year waiting period would apply.

jmo
Yes, definitely. If there is zero evidence I think the case will be dismissed, in my opinion.

I don't believe DK would be able to dispose of property that he co-owns with Ana, without her approval - (it requires lawyers, verified bank accounts, communication with real people, signatures verified by real witnesses, etc.)

Or, DK himself would have to go to probate court get her verified as dead, so as to dispose of her estate.

Florida is in the 21st century - if people could get away with ripping off ex-partners (murder or no murder), it would be even more popular than flipping real estate.

JMO

ETA I also question the assumption that Ana doesn't have a will, or wouldn't have changed it once her marriage broke down. She had a lawyer, I sure hope they'd have advised that -

Last edited:
ETA I also question the assumption that Ana doesn't have a will, or wouldn't have changed it once her marriage broke down. She had a lawyer, I sure hope they'd have advised that -

Even if AK had a will, she would not be able to disinherit her spouse according to Florida law unless they had a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement.

We do not know whether DK is a suspect or not in the eyes of LE. Statistically, his chance is about 1/3. In general, about 75% - 80% of women are murdered by a certain acquaintance.

It is true, we don't know that Ana has been murdered. But there is no information from her, no activity on her bank accounts and the presence of exceptionally suspicious texts sent when she disappeared, from her phone, and most likely, not by her, more likely than not, indicate foul play.

So IMO, there is a likelihood that police found no evidence of DK personally being present in Spain when Ana disappeared, but this is all that I would bet on today.

Looking at other known facts,

- Ana vanished without a trace in Spain, having just said to her friend that she did not plan to leave her apartment
- there is a murky situation with the cameras in the house being sprayed; maybe it is a more common occurrence in Spain. However, the coincidence of it happening precisely in Ana's apartment house shortly before her disappearance is uncanny
- there are identical messages sent by Ana, in English and in Spanish, that instantly concerned her addressees because style and spelling-wise, they were not typical for Ana
- all of it happened at the time of Ana and DK's divorce; we don't need to speculate on whether divorce was acrimonious or not; it appears that the money and division of property were the point of contention. Let us say that, emotions aside, Ana and DK had different goals at that moment
- given the situation, obviously, LE wanted to talk to the spouse. The spouse communicated with the law enforcement via his lawyer. It doesn't make him guilty or suspicious. IMHO, it merely indicates that for DK, life with Ana is in the past.

So given what we know, I would be hesitant to state that "DK is not a suspect." In the absence of a clear-cut timeline of February 5th, I'd put DK on the list of people "too close to Ana to be discounted".

We do not know whether DK is a suspect or not in the eyes of LE. Statistically, his chance is about 1/3. In general, about 75% - 80% of women are murdered by a certain acquaintance.

It is true, we don't know that Ana has been murdered. But there is no information from her, no activity on her bank accounts and the presence of exceptionally suspicious texts sent when she disappeared, from her phone, and most likely, not by her, more likely than not, indicate foul play.

So IMO, there is a likelihood that police found no evidence of DK personally being present in Spain when Ana disappeared, but this is all that I would bet on today.

- Ana vanished without a trace in Spain, having just said to her friend that she did not plan to leave her apartment
- there is a murky situation with the cameras in the house being sprayed; maybe it is a more common occurrence in Spain. However, the coincidence of it happening precisely in Ana's apartment house shortly before her disappearance is uncanny
- there are identical messages sent by Ana, in English and in Spanish, that instantly concerned her addressees because style and spelling-wise, they were not typical for Ana
- all of it happened at the time of Ana and DK's divorce; we don't need to speculate on whether divorce was acrimonious or not; it appears that the money and division of property were the point of contention. Let us say that, emotions aside, Ana and DK had different goals at that moment
- given the situation, obviously, LE wanted to talk to the spouse. The spouse communicated with the law enforcement via his lawyer. It doesn't make him guilty or suspicious. IMHO, it merely indicates that for DK, life with Ana is in the past.

So given what we know, I would be hesitant to state that "DK is not a suspect." In the absence of a clear-cut timeline of February 5th, I'd put DK on the list of people "too close to Ana to be discounted".
I agree with you. Almost every time I mention DK, I am reminded that he is not a suspect. It seems rather important in this forum to keep reiterating that.

I agree that LE would include a spouse on their list of "persons of interest" but usually that is the term that would apply rather than "suspect." So DK was likely a person of interest as soon as AK went missing which would be standard for law enforcement.

I agree that LE would include a spouse on their list of "persons of interest" but usually that is the term that would apply rather than "suspect." So DK was likely a person of interest as soon as AK went missing which would be standard for law enforcement.
Think it’s worth adding that ‘person of interest’ doesn’t really exist in Spanish. Obviously, materially, the investigation will have the same concept but not that term. For example, the series Person of Interest is called Vigilados here which basically means The Watched.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Almost every time I mention DK, I am reminded that he is not a suspect. It seems rather important in this forum to keep reiterating that.
He may well be a suspect, but he's not been publicly declared one by police, so some rules regarding discussing information about him apply on WS. IMO we don't really have much news about the husband anyway. Serbian media is leaving him alone, too.

He may well be a suspect, but he's not been publicly declared one by police, so some rules regarding discussing information about him apply on WS. IMO we don't really have much news about the husband anyway. Serbian media is leaving him alone, too.

JMO - Serbian police is reprinting articles from other sources. This case has gained surprisingly little traction, I wonder whether the timing is wrong (lots of mega-news) or "it just so happened".

JMO - Serbian police is reprinting articles from other sources. This case has gained surprisingly little traction, I wonder whether the timing is wrong (lots of mega-news) or "it just so happened".
IMO Serbian media could dig up a lot more local info on the husband, but they aren't. For example, in the latest case of the missing toddler, they published all sorts of things about the child's parents, their relatives, etc. Some of it was made up and was denied by police.

IMO Serbian media could dig up a lot more local info on the husband, but they aren't. For example, in the latest case of the missing toddler, they published all sorts of things about the child's parents, their relatives, etc. Some of it was made up and was denied by police.

I think we may be looking in a wrong place. Not mainstream media for sure.

ETA: I can't link the initial post as it is on the most common SM, and i don't think we link from it, but this is the first thing that popped up when I started systematically checking SMs popular in Serbia (not that different from here, except for one position) about Ana.

In other words, the implication is that Ana's life in Spain could have been way more transparent than she thought.

Last edited:
I think we may be looking in a wrong place. Not mainstream media for sure.

ETA: I can't link the initial post as it is on the most common SM, and i don't think we link from it, but this is the first thing that popped up when I started systematically checking SMs popular in Serbia (not that different from here, except for one position) about Ana.

In other words, the implication is that Ana's life in Spain could have been way more transparent than she thought.
Definitely. Ana + her husband literally founded + managed a multi-million dollar cyber security company. Hacking is cyber security 101

Definitely. Ana + her husband literally founded + managed a multi-million dollar cyber security company. Hacking is cyber security 101
Then there would have been no need to paint the outside security camera, that was very low tech, so to speak. So the painting of the outside cameras with black paint must have just been a coincidence?

Also the article notes that a student could figure it out, so that leaves a lot of possibilities, doesn't take someone with cyber security experience like Ana and David.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elaguileno81
Back