The Ransom Note: a calling card?

all valid points, RC, but let's not forget that whoever wrote this was about to commit murder, or had just committed it. their mind was not that clear, i would think. assuming that a ramsey or two was responsible, i can't imagine that they would be able to think through every last detail after killing their daughter. if you just look where we(you and I) are, 8+years later, still discussing and debating motives/evidence/etc. they may have thought their plan was rock solid, but after the scrutiny the details have undergone, there will always be a crack...

Voice of Reason said:
all valid points, RC, but let's not forget that whoever wrote this was about to commit murder, or had just committed it. their mind was not that clear, i would think. assuming that a ramsey or two was responsible, i can't imagine that they would be able to think through every last detail after killing their daughter. if you just look where we(you and I) are, 8+years later, still discussing and debating motives/evidence/etc. they may have thought their plan was rock solid, but after the scrutiny the details have undergone, there will always be a crack...

Granted, Voice, one must allow for the possibility that adrenalin was interfering with thought processes. They did manage to write a clever note; even a long one; much longer than necessary; too long to be convincing. Now, why was it that they didn't carry through with "properly" disposing of the body? By the time they were finished with the note (not a perfect draft), and had put the finishing touches on the body, mother nature had spread her own blanket? They couldn't leave and return without making tracks? Uh oh! Switch to Plan B.

Plan A, with the note (imperfect though it was), in combinaton with removing the body from the premises, had to be scrapped. But Plan B contained a fatal flaw--the Plan A remnant; the ransom note. They overlooked that, though the note was integral to plan A, it was antithetical to plan B. Adrenalin again?

I can see why some are arguing for mixed staging. The ransom note doesn't dovetail with the body in the basement, beheaded or otherwise, and is even less convincing in combination with staged sexual sadism, or "snuff sex" or whatever. This theory is getting pretty convoluted, don't you think?

i think that if you assume a ramsey did it, whether you believe it or not, virtually every piece of evidence can be accounted for except the unidentified DNA. but even that has ways of being explained, although i'm not sure how valid they are. i guess there's that pesky beaver hair, but that one doesn't seem to fit the intruder theory either. perhaps BPD should check the local sex offender registry for men who own pet beavers? with a girl who had been in contact with so many people in the days surrounding xmas, i'm not surprised that there were all sorts of fibers on her. the RDI theory, at least in the broader sense, just fits.

to me, there are two reasons this case has not been solved. if the ramseys did it, a confession will be the only way to convict them. but if an intruder did it, the evidence was so damning towards the ramseys, that the police never properly followed that lead.

The beaver hair: nothing in the house to source it to? A wall hanging; a paintbrush; an article of clothing; a boy scout project?

Maybe the perp was a trapper. Any beavers hanging around the streams in that part of paradise? Or maybe the perp owned an article of clothing, or the like, boots or gloves, which contained beaver hairs. Maybe he was a mountain man; attended rendezvous; tied flies; is a game and fish biologist; a zookeeper. Maybe he lives in a beaver den instead of a cardboard box.

What were Helgoth's avocations?

RedChief said:
The beaver hair: nothing in the house to source it to? A wall hanging; a paintbrush; an article of clothing; a boy scout project?

Maybe the perp was a trapper. Any beavers hanging around the streams in that part of paradise? Or maybe the perp owned an article of clothing, or the like, boots or gloves, which contained beaver hairs. Maybe he was a mountain man; attended rendezvous; tied flies; is a game and fish biologist; a zookeeper. Maybe he lives in a beaver den instead of a cardboard box.

What were Helgoth's avocations?

I was thinking a fur coat or boots, myself. It certainly could have been picked up from just about anywhere.

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to these boards and don't post often. However, I've been following this case for years and have done quite a bit of research on it. It seems the more I read the more puzzling it all gets. I can't seem to construct a theory no matter how hard I try. Nothing adds up to anything, it seems.

However, I was just reading a great deal of the expert analysis on the candyrose.com website and they struck me as very interesting. The note in of itself is very interesting and, IMO, the most compelling piece of evidence in this case.

In one analysis of the note, I read that the writer seemed to already have knowledge that JonBenet was dead. It seems to me (and I'm NO expert) that the reason the letter was so drawn out and long, was because the writer knew there would be no phone call....and therefore they wanted to make sure everyone knew JonBenet would be killed if they were to contact the police. All of the demands written in the letter are usually the demands someone gives over the phone. Why write all of that out in a letter? It doesn't make sense to me. The weird ransom amount, the lines taken directly from movies, and the pure length of the note suggest to me it wasn't written by a criminal. I don't think the person who wrote this note thinks like a criminal. I cannot get past the feeling this letter had to be a coverup of some sort.

I don't think it was written by a juvenile (though Bluecrab, I love your posts!) I do think it was written by an adult, but not by an adult who thinks like a criminal or has a criminal mind. To me, the letter was a bunch of jabb and it was an attempt to make something look like something it wasn't.

With this letter existing, it's extremely difficult to pinpoint the murder on some sick and twisted pedophile. However, with the pure brutality of the crime, as well as the type of knot that was used for the noose, I find it very difficult to believe that a normal, every day person would have had the mind/desire to do such a thing. The actual murder vs. the ransom note suggest 2 very different minds, IMO. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, find a link other than the fact that JonBenet is dead.

Anyway....just a few of my thoughts for now.

i must apologize, for i realized that something i posted was not quite correct. well, not incorrect, but perhaps incomplete...earlier in this thread, i provided links to experts who analyzed the ransom note. my further readings on this case have uncovered where, when, and exactly why those analyses were made.

as it turns out, 4 experts were hired by investigators and 2 by the ramseys. they all rated PR a 4.0-4.5 on a 5 point scale, with 5 meaning she DEFINITELY DID NOT WRITE THE NOTE. this information was revealed in judge carnes' opinion in wolf v. ramsey in which wolf sued the ramseys for implicating him as a suspect in the JBR case. judge carnes dismissed this action for those who are unaware.

the links i provided showed the analyses of wolf's experts, none of whom were able to see the original note or PR's original writings...just photocopies. there may be something to say about the fact that wolf was not allowed to have access to the originals for his own experts' analyses, but that's another story. regardless, i think it is always important to be objective here, and remember that there are two sides to every story.

we all make mistakes...

Hi, Jaxie, I think you've made some thought-provoking comments.

The "Listen carefully" certainly could lead you to believe that the message was meant to be conveyed telephonically rather than by written communication. I think that's something for us all to mull over. I won't say anything more about that until I've mulled it over, except for this one little comment: the kidnapper may have been planning to phone in all or some of those instructions and threats, and something happened to cause him to switch to Plan B--leave a note instead.

Concerning evidence of the writer's knowledge of the death of JonBenet: That's something I searched for with a fine-toothed comb, again and again and again. I'm not convinced of that, but there certainly is a lot of talk about death in the note. All that death talk might have been included to scare the wits out of the Ramseys; incline them toward complying with the kidnappers' demands. In my view it was excessive, but that doesn't help us to identify the author. I think the "At this time" comment comes as close as anything in the note to suggesting knowledge of her death. But, even that isn't proof positive. I recall that in the Lindbergh notes, the writer assured the parents that the baby was well and being properly cared for. How could the parents have known this was a lie? The "experts" of the day were unable to advise them of that. In my opinion, it isn't necessary to be truthful in all particulars in an authentic ransom note; all that's necessary is to convey the idea that the loved one (or person of value) has been abducted and the abductor wants money, else he'll not set him/her free, and may even kill him/her. This is standard kidnapping procedure, as you know.

Some more thoughts that you've provoked: If the plan of the perpetrator were to make the body vanish, per the note, there would be no need to stage any injury to it whatever. Of course, in this scenario, the girl, being dead, had already been injured. If it had been the case that she'd been strangled (ostensibly executed), then, threatening to execute her if the demands weren't met, would be consistent with her evident strangulation. But, threatening to behead her, wasn't consistent with any of her injuries, except in a very remote way--she had been banged in the head. You might consider the cranial injury a form of execution. It wasn't visible but was discovered during autopsy. And, any means of killing would satisfy the threat that she'd die.

New paragraph: If, for some reason, the plan to make the body vanish couldn't be put into effect, and it was decided at length to keep the body in the house; e.g., in the wine cellar, then some staging to provide false evidence of an abduction attempt might be warranted, considering that eventually--sooner or later--the body would be found on the premises. In keeping with the abduction explanation, the Plan A note could be retained as a staging element, providing the wine cellar staging (in this instance) would reflect a botched abduction. Needless to say, selling a botched abduction, with the abductee left dead in the house, would require superior salesmanship. It would make sense that in retaining the ransom note as an element of Plan B, the body wouldn't likely be left in plain view. Who could be convinced that the would-be abductor would fail to retrieve his note, having left the body behind in a conspicuous location?

Unfortunately, for staging theorists, in my view, the wine cellar scene isn't any where near sufficiently evocative of abduction. For one thing, no self-respecting kidnapper strangles his abductee to death prior to departing the premises. Further, the kidnapper doesn't poke his abductee in the vagina with a stick, that he has fashioned from a broken paintbrush, prior to fleeing the scene. Finally, the abductor doesn't apply tape over bloody mucous on the mouth of the abductee; tie her up in such a way that she is hardly restrained, and wrap her papoose-like in her white blanket (the one to which the gown clung when they were removed from the dryer).

The one thing most suggestive of abduction with the intent to collect ransom was absent; namely, properly binding and gagging the abductee. One puny 5-inch strip of duct tape does not a gag make. I say again, it's hard to imagine that anyone decided that strangling the girl and leaving the exotic ligature in place, and injuring her vagina, and depositing her body in the basement storage room, would convince anyone that she'd been killed in an abduction attempt.

Thanks for your fine contribution....

Nehemiah said:
No, that's not the one. The one posted a few years ago looked a lot like a man's writing. It resembled the ransom note penmanship.

Thanks for your efforts, though.

ok. i think i found it...try this out. i see the resemblance. i believe that tax return was filled out by none other than the treasurer, SUSAN STINE. see the SS makeup thread...i have some questions about her that noone has answered.

Voice of Reason said:
ok. i think i found it...try this out. i see the resemblance. i believe that tax return was filled out by none other than the treasurer, SUSAN STINE.

I sort of see a resemblence, too. How do you know Susan Stine filled it out -the signature is blacked out?

bensmom98 said:
I sort of see a resemblence, too. How do you know Susan Stine filled it out -the signature is blacked out?

i don't know. it's my opinion that she wrote it. i think there's good support for that opinion since she was the treasurer, but i do not know for sure that she filled it out...

that I posted in my thread was that after reading the transcript of the Atlanta interviews PR came across as rather "young" to put it politely, in her way of comprehending questions and then at other times quite mature and able..Alot of questions had to be re-worded for her even if they were comprehendable by the most average of people..In the RN I picked up on immaturity and maturity in sections..Anyone agree??

Nikki and still learning!

Can you give examples of what lead you to this conclusion? For instance, specific words or phrases that struck you as immature, and also mature?

Nikki said:
In the RN I picked up on immaturity and maturity in sections..Anyone agree??

Sort of, but to me the general tone of the ransom note sounded like it was written by a male teen.

to explain what I mean..I would also like to clarify when I say immature I am not talking "childish" as in someone under the age of 10.
The first paragraph seems "mature" enough. Its maybe not until you get to the part where it says..
"If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies. If you alert bank authorities, she dies. If the money is in anyway marked or tampered with, she dies. You will be scanned for electronic devices and if any are found, she dies. You can try to deceive us, but be warned we are familiar with law enforcement countermeasures and tactics"
To me, when reading the whole note out aloud to yourself you can feel the change in the whole "tune" of the note. "Stray dog"?? to me a rather young way of expression.."Alert the bank authorities"? Would they not assume the bank would be alerted to John withdrawing $118,000 at such short notice? "familiar with law enforcement"? Is this because of what he/she/they have watched on TV? Just a few more immature ways of thinking.
Where it says "try to outsmart us" is another rather immature choice of vocabulary and so is the use of the words "fat cat"
The person(s) imo who wrote this note is either very smart and feels that coming across this way deliberetly will only throw confusion on the investigation of this note or they are genuinely a character of maturity and immaturity which I feel is quite reflected in this note.
Anyway it is hard to explain but I found just by reading the note aloud I sensed this change and when reading it aloud to a few friends they were like "what the @#$*" and tended to agree! Maybe this is just one of the many reasons they have had a hard time pin pointing the RN to a particular
person(s)?
Nikki

I believe the ransom note could of been written by someone or at least 2 others to be more specific, who may have been involved in drugs and fantasy games such as dungeons and drugs. When someone is on drugs they have such a boldness to do things without fear. I believe it may have been a game that had gone wrong, thus the killing.I believe the note was written in the home as the players were waiting for their prey to come home? I do not believe the Ramseys had anything to do with this. I believe Steve Thomas had his own agenda to get people to convict the Ramsey's thus the media leaks. It brought some of his own noriety. You don't be in a leadership role and leak info to the press.:banghead: All of this is my theory and my own opinion.

One can study the ransom note til they're blue in the face and hypothesize all sorts of scenarios, but there's one thing about that note that's constant and cannot be diversified -- the naive references to action movie adages. That spells teenage male to me and nothing but teenage male.

True, we all enjoy an occasional movie, but if you drive the kids to the movies and drop them off outside, what do you see? You see a hundred kids lined up and milling about. You see few if any adults. Movies are probably not only the main source of entertainment for most kids, but it's also one of their ways of peeping into adult life and perceiving what it's all about.

For instance, when an impressionable young male sees an over-acted action movie about a kidnapping, then he could very well figure that that's likely how it's done in the real world too. The naive Ramsey ransom note, IMO, was written by such a person.

Well, you're wrong. It was written by Patsy Ramsey,

Now, the Rams apparently had a big screen tv in the bedroom, or so the story goes. I would imagine they had movies and a TV, VCR, etc. etc. as well.

Here's a question for you and others as well - name a few movies that the Rams would have enjoyed? Never mind what they wouldn't watch. If they weren't watching Bette Midler and Mel Gibson, who were they watching? Let's run a list of suitable for 40 - 50 year old married couples in say 1990 - 1996. Also TV shows. What would they have been watching while they avoided all the popular stuff. Let's try to define this bubble that separated them from the rest of the world.

This is a good activity. I'm serious here. This will give us a profile of who they are. And if you can really define them as totally removed from the references in the note, well then they must be innocent. However, it might be a little more difficult than you suspect. But let's give it a try. I'll start a thread.

BlueCrab said:
One can study the ransom note til they're blue in the face and hypothesize all sorts of scenarios, but there's one thing about that note that's constant and cannot be diversified -- the naive references to action movie adages. That spells teenage male to me and nothing but teenage male.

True, we all enjoy an occasional movie, but if you drive the kids to the movies and drop them off outside, what do you see? You see a hundred kids lined up and milling about. You see few if any adults. Movies are probably not only the main source of entertainment for most kids, but it's also one of their ways of peeping into adult life and perceiving what it's all about.

For instance, when an impressionable young male sees an over-acted action movie about a kidnapping, then he could very well figure that that's likely how it's done in the real world too. The naive Ramsey ransom note, IMO, was written by such a person.
I agree with you also. They are apt to remember lines of movies more than anyone else. I am in my little bubble too. I am waiting for it to burst.:p

Like most people I think Patsy wrote the ransom note but I think she wrote it in conjunction with someone else. I think the someone else was one of the perpetrators and was beside her, dictating most of it to her, maybe there was another one giving instructions over the phone.

I think this was about 1 or 2 hours after the murder but that Patsy didn’t know then that Jon Benet was dead, she knew only that something had gone terribly wrong and that she had to do what she was being told.

I think Patsy knew the perpetrators very well but that John Ramsey most definitely was NOT one of them. I think the perpetrators had some kind of hold over Patsy and this night she was so frantic and distraught that she didn't have the strength to disobey them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15
Back