TN TN - Gary R Boutilier, 19, Millington, 17 June 1978

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Gary R Boutilier
Missing Person / NamUs #MP75707
Date of Last Contact: June 17, 1978
Missing From: Millington, Shelby County, Tennessee
Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Missing Age: 19 Years
Height: 5' 5" - 6' 3" (65 - 75 Inches)
Weight: 150 - 230 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance: Boutilier was a Marine last seen leaving Millington Naval Air Station on June 17, 1978. He had bought a new motorcycle and said he was going to ride some rural roads in Shelby Park.

(There are photos but I’m having trouble attaching them. If someone would be so kind as to do so!)

So sad for the family he was never found <mod edit: replaced screenshots with links to newspaper clippings>

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-13_10-53-53.jpeg
    upload_2020-12-13_10-53-53.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Listed as leaving Millington Naval Air Base - Millington mappoints shown below, as well as area west known as Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park, which I believe is the referenced park. The park abuts the Mississippi River which separates the state borders of Tennessee and Arkansas.

1682436045879.png

What do we think of this potential match? The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP5157
Male, Multiple
Date Body Found June 21, 1978
Location Found Helena, Arkansas
Estimated Age Range20-40 Years

Circumstances of Recovery: This victim was found floating in the Mississippi River, 20 minutes south of Helena, Arkansas.

Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction​

Clothing: 1 tattered remnant of a waist band of a pair of blue denim pants, and 1 black to green colored belt with a brass type belt buckle (belt length is 39 1/2")

Footwear: 1 black sock and 1 green colored work boot size large
On the Body

What do we think of this potential match? The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP5157
Male, Multiple
Date Body Found June 21, 1978
Location Found Helena, Arkansas
Estimated Age Range20-40 Years

Circumstances of Recovery: This victim was found floating in the Mississippi River, 20 minutes south of Helena, Arkansas.

Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Clothing: 1 tattered remnant of a waist band of a pair of blue denim pants, and 1 black to green colored belt with a brass type belt buckle (belt length is 39 1/2")

Footwear: 1 black sock and 1 green colored work boot size large
On the Body
I think it’s possible. If he had an accident in the park and somehow ended up in the Mississippi River, his body would have likely traveled south (according to Google). He’d be worth submitting IMO!

I found a little more info about the UID, which would seem to rule out Gary.

The body was discovered about 45 miles south of Helena, had been in the water for about 2 years or more, and had been “sanded over” for some period of time. He was thought to be a white male, 30-40 years old, 70 inches tall and weighing between 160-180 pounds.

I found a little more info about the UID, which would seem to rule out Gary.

The body was discovered about 45 miles south of Helena, had been in the water for about 2 years or more, and had been “sanded over” for some period of time. He was thought to be a white male, 30-40 years old, 70 inches tall and weighing between 160-180 pounds.
Thank you for finding that. Interesting that NamUs states PMI death year as 1978.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv
Back