TN TN - Robert Butters, 49, Cleveland, 1 March 1981

Hello, I am the friend that Lisa mentions. I finally got my account straightened out so that I can post. Thank you so much for posting all of this for me Lisa. :) Any insight that you guys could offer would be wonderful.

This is quite a story Slabobbin and Lisa. Welcome to the site Slabobbin. I hope you get many answers and good information from the people here who are very good at what they do.
My first thought is your father's eyeglass lenses may be an important clue and probably very important that no one touches or has touched them with their fingers. The red on them may be blood but could be something else and don't necessarily have to be your father's blood. Also, if le still has your father's clothes forensics may find other important clues and maybe a mix of someone else's blood besides you father's. Maybe a new DA would be willing to reopen this case since many years have gone by. Also, do you have the autopsy and police reports about what went on that night and you probably should get the reports about the accident and Maynard's arrest and release and whether or not he showed up for his court date and what was the disposition of that situation. I'm suspicious about that because if he was on probation he probably shouldn't have been out of state (Texas.) Probably shouldn't have been carrying a weapon or hanging around with anyone else who may have been in jail.
It almost sounds as if these guys intended to do some evil before they went in the place. There may be a possibility Gibson has had some memories come back over the years. Two of my brothers hit a bridge years ago and one couldn't remember anything but years later he had a few memories come back. I don't know how much but it's worth the try if Gibson is still alive. Maybe he'd be willing to talk about it. I wish you all the luck you need in your quest for answers.

My mom has touched the eye glass lenses but I'm not sure how much. Her finger prints could, of course, be ruled out. I'm not sure if they have other finger prints on them. I haven't seen them.

I'm not sure where his clothing is. I know that my mom asked for it (in her grief she just wanted something that was his) and they told her that they were evidence. I highly doubt that they still have them - even though I know they should.

We do have copies of the autopsy (but are missing the drawings, just have the written report) and the police reports connected to this case. We do not have copies of the car accident. They too are "missing" as is all of the files on my father's case. Back in college the assistant DA brought her children to the daycare where I worked. I asked her to look in to this for me and she did (she was a very nice lady). She could find nothing. I think she found a file with my father's name on it but it was empty. I think that the reports we have (which my mom got right after the murder) are the only copies in existance. She said that she also looked under all of the other names listed in the report I had and that they did not have files on them either. So I doubt I would be able to find the report on the car accident.

I called the TBI to see if I could get copies of their reports (a TBI investigator was called to the scene) and someone very rudely (as in they had a snotty attitude) told me that files from unresolved cases are not released to the public.

I have thought of tracking Gibson down and trying to speak with him. I'm kind of timid about it though.

Lisa, do you have the letter that the DA lady gave to me after she looked into this? It may have more information in it that could help. I may could upload it to a Photobucket account and make a clickable link for it.

I just emailed you, Robyn...the letter was in one of the emails (the one I responded to), but I don't know how to do the upload/make a clickable link thing :(

Hello all. I am a photojournalist for the Cleveland Daily Banner here in Cleveland, TN. I stumbled upon your thread about this cold case and was wondering if I might get some contact information for the daughter/family of Mr. Butters. I am interested in seeing how myself and another reporter could shed some light on from this clearly confusing case. We've talked in the past about doing a series of articles on cold cases in the paper. The number here at the newspaper is 423-472-5041 and you can ask for Daniel or Tim. Thank you.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambermotko
Back