TX TX - Kathleen Ranft, 29, Seguin, 5 Apr 1985

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Kathleen Laura Ranft[/h]
  • kathleen_laura_ranft_1.jpg
Ranft, circa 1985

• Missing Since 04/05/1985
  • Missing From Seguin, Texas
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 02/18/1956 (62)
  • Age 29 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Ranft has a scar on her abdomen. Her right arm was previously fractured.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Ranft was last seen in Seguin, Texas on April 5, 1985. She left her job at the Lippe Tire Center at 5:50 p.m., and her husband says he last saw her when she left to go dancing at the Country Cabaret on FM 467 between 9:00 and 9:30 p.m. She has never been heard from again.

Ranft's 1980 Chevrolet Citation was not in the Country Cabaret parking lot at closing time at 1:00 a.m. on April 6, but it was found in the lot later that morning. There was no sign of her at the scene.

Ranft left behind three children. She was separated from her husband at the time of her disappearance, and he didn't report her missing; her boss did, after she didn't show up for work after the weekend. Foul play is suspected in her disappearance.

http://charleyproject.org/case/kathleen-laura-ranft

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8665/

"It's been more than 30 years since a Guadalupe County woman was last seen. Kathleen Ranft , a wife and mother of three was reported missing to the Guadalupe County Sheriff's Office back on April 5th, 1985. She was 29 years old at the time she went missing.

"Her disappearance was a bit shocking for the small community back then, " said Sgt. Robert Murphy, with the Guadalupe County Sheriff's Office.

Murphy went on to say Kathleen had just dropped her children off at the baby sitter when she disappeared. Kathleen's car was found parked at a business in Seguin, but there was no sign of her. "To this day no clue as to where Kathleen might be has ever surfaced, " said Murphy."

Help Us Find: Kathleen Ranft

Something is very off with this case. In my research I found these old article
Clipping from The Seguin Gazette-Enterprise - Newspapers.com
It clearly states that her husband Dennis Ranft was the last to see her and he says she was going dancing at the Country Cabaret on FM 467. She dropped the children off with a babysitter. I wonder what Dennis Ranft had to do that night that he couldn't watch his own children. It does state that Dennis and Kathleen were separated and having marital problems. Kathleen's car was NOT at the Country Cabaret when the establishment closed at 1am. Her car appeared in the parking lot the next morning according to the owner of the establishment. Kathleen failed to show up for her job the next day (Saturday) and Monday. Her employer reported her missing. Dennis Ranft DID NOT report his wife missing.
Here is where it gets frustrating. In June 2019 the case was reopened and there are several news reports
https://seguintoday.com/2019/06/06/...l-seeking-clues-in-1985-missing-persons-case/
Help Us Find: Kathleen Ranft
HELP US FIND: Kathleen Ranft, mother of three, vanished without a trace decades ago
34 years later, local mother's disappearance remains unsolved
A Sgt. Robert Murphy, with the Guadalupe County Sheriff's Office is quoted saying her husband reported her missing, even going so far to say her husband came in to the sheriff’s office back when the sheriff’s office was at the courthouse and reported that his wife was missing. This is NOT TRUE, why on earth would he report that? Did he not read the case files? Did he not do his research? This is BS! Why the misinformation? He fails to say where her car was found and where she was going dancing. I would think if you want tips and information you would want to question people that were at the Country Cabaret that night. Dennis Ranft told police she went to the Country Cabaret. Maybe he lied. I would think you would want to confirm she was actually at the establishment. No reports mention anyone seeing her. It's all based on what the husband said. Then he DOES NOT report her missing. Fishy? In fact he says she went to Country Cabaret on Friday. Her car is found Saturday morning. She is reported missing by her employer Monday.

Kathleen Laura Ranft – The Charley Project

Last updated June 28, 2021; two pictures added, clothing/jewelry description updated.

Kathleen Laura Ranft
  • kathleen_laura_ranft_1.jpg
  • ranft_kathleen2.jpg
  • ranft_kathleen3.jpg
  • ranft_kathleen4.jpg

• Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA blue and white flowered Western-style shirt, blue jeans, sandals, a gold wedding band with nine diamonds, two other rings, diamond earrings, a gold chain with a diamond pendant, and a Seiko wristwatch.

Kathleen Ranft
Texas Department Of Public Safety

Kathleen Ranft​

On 04/05/1985, the Guadalupe County Sheriff’s Office received a Missing Person’s report involving the disappearance of 29-year-old, Kathleen Laura Attwood Ranft. Ranft was in the process of a divorce and have recently began working at a local tire service business. Kathleen's employer contacted the Guadalupe County Sheriff’s Office after she did not report to work. Kathleen's vehicle was located at a local nightclub. Other circumstances indicated that Kathleen was a victim of foul play, probably a homicide. Ranft’s body has not been recovered. Several leads have been reported over the years as to Ranft’s disappearance, all of which were met with negative results. This is an active case with Texas Ranger Division Unsolved Crimes Investigation Program (UCIP). We are seeking your help with information about Kathleen Ranft’s disappearance.

REFERENCE NUMBER: 276 - Unsolved
COMPANY: F
RACE: White
SEX: Female
CITY:
COUNTY:
Guadalupe
RELATED YEAR: 1985

Kathleen was my friend. She used to come in to the store where I worked. She always had black and blue marks on her arms or face. She told me that when she met Dennis she already had one son from a previous relationship then she had two more sons with Dennis. He was very abusive and he told her that if she ever left him, he would kill her. She moved out about a couple of weeks before she disappeared and when she left him she only took the son from her previous relationship. She left the other two boys with their father. He killed her! She told me that he threatened to kill her and he ended up doing it. She left him and it pissed him off. I hope he reads this!!! I am not afraid of him!!! If he f's with me or tries to kill me, he will end up with a bullet in his head!

JusticeforK, you should try to connect with David Ridgen, who is an investigative journalist. He might be interested in this story. He has had good success at bringing cases to trial where local investigators have failed for years. Although he is a Canadian reporter, working for CBC Canada, his greatest successes have been cold cases in the US! such as this one.

Kathleen was my friend. She used to come in to the store where I worked. She always had black and blue marks on her arms or face. She told me that when she met Dennis she already had one son from a previous relationship then she had two more sons with Dennis. He was very abusive and he told her that if she ever left him, he would kill her. She moved out about a couple of weeks before she disappeared and when she left him she only took the son from her previous relationship. She left the other two boys with their father. He killed her! She told me that he threatened to kill her and he ended up doing it. She left him and it pissed him off. I hope he reads this!!! I am not afraid of him!!! If he f's with me or tries to kill me, he will end up with a bullet in his head!
I had never read about this case but I thought the same thing immediately... the husband did not report the disappearance and can use as an alibi that they were no longer together... but she was threatened as you tell us... the guy kidnapped her in her own car I took her, he did things to her and then he went to leave the car where he took it... and I imagine that he lives without problems now without a burden of conscience... I just hope that his children have grown up well without their mother.. .
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark