UK - Simon Shotton, 49, murdered & dismembered & found in 3 locations,a couple charged with murder, Bournemouth August 2023.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
A couple have appeared in court today accused of the murder of a 49-year-old man whose body was dismembered and left in three different locations.

Simon Shotton was said to have been killed sometime before August 26.

Dorset Police launched a murder enquiry when a member of the public found some of his body parts in a bag as they walked up the Manor Steps zig-zag path on the cliff at Boscombe, Bournemouth.

Debbie Ann Pereira, 38, and 48-year-old Benjamin Lee Atkins, who both live in Bournemouth, were charged last night with Mr Shotton's murder.

They appeared side by side in the dock at Poole Magistrates' Court today to answer a single murder charge.

The pair, dressed in grey tracksuits, only spoke to confirm their names and addresses during a five minute hearing.

No pleas were entered and they were remanded in custody to appear at Bournemouth Crown Court tomorrow (Weds).

#LatestNews - Detectives leading the ongoing murder investigation in Boscombe are issuing a renewed appeal following a further reported discovery of human remains.

The investigation was initially launched following a report on Saturday 26 August 2023 of partial human remains being discovered in the area of the Manor Steps Zig Zag, off Boscombe Overcliff Drive.

Following detailed enquiries and scientific analysis, the victim was identified as 49-year-old Simon Shotton from Bournemouth.

Two people – 38-year-old Debbie Ann Pereira and 48-year-old Benjamin Lee Atkins, both of Bournemouth – were charged with murder and have appeared in court. They are next due to appear at Bournemouth Crown Court on Friday 20 October 2023.

Detectives from Dorset Police’s Major Crime Investigation Team (MCIT) have been continuing to carry out enquiries in relation to the case and at around 10.45am on Wednesday 6 September 2023, it is reported that further human remains were located in the area of Boscombe Chine Gardens, near to Boscombe Pier.

A police cordon has been put in place as investigative work has been carried out.

Detective Inspector Neil Third, of MCIT, said: “While we have yet to formally identify the latest remains discovered, at this time we do believe this is linked to our ongoing investigation and the family of Simon Shotton has been updated. Our thoughts remain with them at this very difficult time.

“It is important that as part of our ongoing investigation, we speak to anyone who witnessed any suspicious activity in the area of Boscombe Chine Gardens between Friday 18 August and Friday 1 September 2023. I am particularly keen to speak to anyone who has seen somebody in possession of a black suitcase acting suspiciously in the vicinity.

“Information can be uploaded through our dedicated Major Incident Public Portal for this case.

“I would again like to thank members of the community in Boscombe for their continued patience and understanding while this latest cordon is in place.”

Anyone with information is asked to submit it to the investigation team via the Major Incident Public Portal page at Public Portal. If you are unable to submit information online, please call 101 quoting occurrence number 55230135228. Alternatively, independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously online at Crimestoppers-uk.org or by calling Freephone 0800 555 111.

I'm very very local to this to the point I've met the female accused and have mutual friends with her on FB. Bit wild even for Boscombe! Sadly, I suspect with the location there may be an addiction involved somewhere along the lines.

I always wonder if a case will pop up with someone I know!

Do you know if there is a connection between the accused and the deceased?
I don't, no. In that part of town there are massive drug issues though, it's hard not to inadvertently imply something about the victim with that comment but they were also searching a squat known to be linked to various issues along these lines too. Although usually drug related murders don't involve dismemberment and scattering the remains. It doesn't quite fit.

I met her when doing a work project a few years back. Her daughter attended the school opposite my house which explains why I have mutual friends!

Her Facebook profile is fairly open so I've done some stalking and found her son's name with a comment about him passing away. I'm 80% sure he died in a moped crash as it was quite big local news.

Just a quick edit to make it a bit less identifiable (removed a work name)

Last edited:
Her Facebook profile is fairly open so I've done some stalking and found her son's name with a comment about him passing away. I'm 80% sure he died in a moped crash as it was quite big local news.

Just a quick edit to make it a bit less identifiable (removed a work name)
Ah yes, I wondered why the surname was familiar.

During the hearing, Atkins drew a heart shape on one palm and "u" on another to signal "I love you" to his partner Pereira. After the case was adjourned, Pereira signed "I love you" back to Atkins and they blew kisses and smiled.

Age matches an article 3 years ago, the same name.

in 2009 Simon was missing
The first one is him, the second article I think is someone else.

Winchester Crown Court was told a member of the public was sheltering under a tree when a package landed beside her.
On inspecting it, she realised that it was the shape of a human foot and called police, prosecutor Paul Cavin KC said.
Police later found a second package which contained a second leg.
DNA tests confirmed they both belonged to Mr Shotton.

Live feed of the trial:

The court heard police arrived at the beach the Manor Steps Zig Zag, off Boscombe Overcliff Drive, in Dorset and after a 'thorough' search of the area - they discovered 'another leg'. The following day, a postmortem examination was performed and the pathologist noted that the amputations were 'amateur enough that they had not been surgically removed', the court heard.

Day 7 of trial, the jury went on a half day trip from Winchester to 18b Aylesbury road Boscombe where it is thought Mr Shotton was killed and dismembered. The jury returned to Winchester Crown Court in the afternoon to hear evidence that the suspected murderer Benny Atkins had stolen a hacksaw from the Wilco shop at the Sovereign centre in Boscombe high street a few minutes walk from Aylesbury road. The same hacksaw was seen on CCTV footage from the handlebars of Atkins bicycle. Atkins seems to be such an careless person if he is the murderer. Body parts from the victim being found at his house and in other places all within a few minutes walk of where he lived.

It seems that Pereira had become an addict about 8/10 years ago, she was injecting and her life fell apart. This is when she received a number of shoplifting convictions, probably to pay for drugs. She seemed to get clean and all seemed fine until a couple of years ago see met Atkins and started using again. It seems that Atkins was the dominant partner and she just fell into line with what he did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiRi224
Back