CA CA - Joseph Gatto, 78, Los Angeles, 13 Nov 2013 *found shot to death at home, $50k reward*

CastlesBurning

Reaction score
Cold Case Spotlight: Joseph Gatto

Son dedicated to finding answers for his father Joseph Gatto, who was found shot to death in Los Angeles nearly 10 years ago

1689744628437.png

One avenue the police explored had to do with one of Joseph’s hobbies: jewelry-making. Mike told Dateline that some of Joseph’s jewelry was missing from his father’s home.

“The police have posted some of my father’s jewelry, um, with the hopes that people would recognize it, ‘cause it’s rather unique,” Mike said. “If someone tried to pawn it, we would at least have a lead of where it went.”

Shortly after Joseph’s murder, the police also released a sketch of a car burglar who was seen in the area on the night of the murder. Some witnesses had come forward saying that they saw the suspect brandishing a gun.

That person has never been identified.

1689744784018.png

KTLA has bumped up his case:
The family of 78-year-old Joseph Gatto, who was shot to death inside his Silver Lake home 10 years ago, is still waiting for answers, but former State Assemblyman Mike Gatto said his family remains hopeful that his father’s killer will be found, and justice will be served.

Firefighters were called at about 8:15 p.m. on Nov. 13, 2013, to conduct a death investigation at a residence in the 2800 block of Bright Lane, where they found the body of the 78-year-old, slumped over at a desk, according to Lt. Richard Parks of the Los Angeles Police Department.

[...]

Joseph Gatto was shot in the stomach and the house ransacked. His daughter, Marianna, found her father at his computer desk.

By Rob Hayes February 27, 2024
'LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Former California Assemblyman Mike Gatto's quest to find his father's killer has spurred him to write a book about the unsolved mystery more than a decade after it happened.'

'Joe Gatto was an unlikely target for a killer. He was a retired high school teacher who was nationally recognized. He was loved by his neighbors and had taken up jewelry making as a hobby.'

Greetings all! Long time reader. First time poster!

I just finished reading a book entitled Noir By Necessity, How My Father's Unsolved Murder Took Me to Dark Places, by the victim's son, Mike Gatto. I'm now OBSESSED with this crime.

Joseph Gatto was a beloved retired teacher, one of those old guys with no enemies, just thousands of former students who loved the guy. His son was a bigshot politician in California.

The book lays out a BUNCH of clues. Goes through every theory. Mob hit? Russian mob hit? Random?

Most fascinating appear to be three: Joseph Gatto was changing his will when he got killed. OR There was also a likely druggy car thief running through the neighborhood at the same time. OR both of these are wrong and it was some old friend of the victim.

This is the strangest cold case I've seen and the book was really unique how it laid out the clues and leads chronologically. I can't believe it's been 11 years and the case isn't solved. Hey, maybe we can help.

Greetings all! Long time reader. First time poster!

I just finished reading a book entitled Noir By Necessity, How My Father's Unsolved Murder Took Me to Dark Places, by the victim's son, Mike Gatto. I'm now OBSESSED with this crime.

Joseph Gatto was a beloved retired teacher, one of those old guys with no enemies, just thousands of former students who loved the guy. His son was a bigshot politician in California.

The book lays out a BUNCH of clues. Goes through every theory. Mob hit? Russian mob hit? Random?

Most fascinating appear to be three: Joseph Gatto was changing his will when he got killed. OR There was also a likely druggy car thief running through the neighborhood at the same time. OR both of these are wrong and it was some old friend of the victim.

This is the strangest cold case I've seen and the book was really unique how it laid out the clues and leads chronologically. I can't believe it's been 11 years and the case isn't solved. Hey, maybe we can help.
Welcome to Ws @mooreknowledge, glad you decided to chime in!
Nov 14, 2023
The family of 78-year-old Joseph Gatto, who was shot to death inside his Silver Lake home 10 years ago, is still waiting for answers, but former State Assemblyman Mike Gatto said his family remains hopeful that his father’s killer will be found, and justice will be served

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair
Back