VERDICT WATCH - Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Retrial Day 43, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is time to change the law about the DP. This law IS wrong! Not only is it costly, but time consuming too. The change on the DP ought to be that 60 percent rules. The majority! As it is now, it makes it way too easy to sway ONE person. It would be much harder to sway 5 people. This trial is a joke! Jodi Arias does NOT deserve this time, the attention, nor the cost of it all! And furthermore, there should NOTHING SECRET FROM THE JURORS! They struggle with their decisions, only to find out later that they did NOT know all the facts. It is not fair to the jury!

Because I believe it's highly unlikely they will be unanimous for Life, I think if we hear they've reached a verdict it means she's getting the DP. If we hear they are hung it means she's getting Life. So strictly from the point of view of which punishment she gets, there really is no difference between a hung jury and a unanimous vote for Life. If this logic holds, it's interesting that we really don't need to hear the actual verdict read to know which it will be. We just need to hear 'verdict reached' or 'hung'.

I agree with this. NOTHING SECRET FROM THE JURORS! They struggle with their decisions, only to find out later that they did NOT know all the facts. It is not fair to the jury!

When this over and the jury goes home and researchs, if that is what they choose to do, I think that some may be regretful in their decision making.

Because I believe it's highly unlikely they will be unanimous for Life, I think if we hear they've reached a verdict it means she's getting the DP. If we hear they are hung it means she's getting Life. So strictly from the point of view of which punishment she gets, there really is no difference between a hung jury and a unanimous vote for Life. If this logic holds, it's interesting that we really don't need to hear the actual verdict read to know which it will be. We just need to hear 'verdict reached' or 'hung'.

I totally agree. A juror for the DP isn't going to sway, it will be one who is one the fence of giving Life that will be swayed.

I don't believe any other judge would have allowed Nurmi to do what he did. JA and her posse hit the jackpot with Sherry....a match made in hell

Boy you hit it right on the head..since the end of the first trial I have watched some other trials start to finish...well run...full days with respect for the jury and at the end the judge asks is there any reason I cannot pronounce sentence today...there usually is not and it is done. Buckle up....the jury will come back today maybe hung and maybe life....then JSS will not sentence today even if jury says life but set it out at least one month if not more. I hate to be so negative but the reality the Alexander family each of them will have a choice...I felt they should have asked Juan to try to get natural life and move on...but they did not they chose to try to get DP...now they probably will not get that and no matter what there will be appeals and so many other things happening relative to JA they can engage in each of these court actions or at this point make an effort to move on with their lives. Some of them Steven in particular are so broken and the future is very uncertain. They are not going to feel the kind of justice they sought has been accomplished but they cannot continue this anymore. I think Travis would admonish them at this point and tell them to get on with it...let the court system take care of JA for the rest of time. Same with all of us watching from afar...I don't think most will feel good about the verdict or lack thereof and will leave this phase still not knowing her real fate.

I think it is time to change the law about the DP. This law IS wrong! Not only is it costly, but time consuming too. The change on the DP ought to be that 60 percent rules. The majority! As it is now, it makes it way too easy to sway ONE person. It would be much harder to sway 5 people. This trial is a joke! Jodi Arias does NOT deserve this time, the attention, nor the cost of it all! And furthermore, there should NOTHING SECRET FROM THE JURORS! They struggle with their decisions, only to find out later that they did NOT know all the facts. It is not fair to the jury!

I agree, and I would add have a ten-year limit until actual execution. Don't kid yourself and don't play games. If you're going to have a DP make it real, and not pretend, such that it becomes a playground of the mind and a cash cow to a particular profession. If you can't stomach all of that, do away with the DP, because where we are right now is neither here nor there, and we're lost in a twilight zone where nothing is as it seems.

JA is a danger to society. If she hadn't slaughtered TA, she would have murdered someone else, eventually. She should be incarcerated for LWOP. She will die in prison, one way or another. JMO

Hey Steve, Good morning :) I was really bummed this morning when I realized I wasn't going to be here to hear the verdict. I need to take my Miss Molly to the Vet. After reading your post I feel much better. Thanks!

Very disappointed that jury could not/would not reach a decision. Judge Stephens sure needs some leadership training. This falls squarely on her shoulders. The secrecy, the absurd rulings. It was my opinion all along and I tried with all that's in me to lighten it a bit. There is no longer an excuse. Just feel dreadful for Travis's family. And I still don't know how much JSS tied Juan's hands in his closing. Maybe he is just exhausted from the fight.

I agree, and I would add have a ten-year limit until actual execution. Don't kid yourself and don't play games. If you're going to have a DP make it real, and not pretend, such that it becomes a playground of the mind and a cash cow to a particular profession. If you can't stomach all of that, do away with the DP, because where we are right now is neither here nor there, and we're lost in a twilight zone where nothing is as it seems.

Well said. If there is a DP in the state, use it or abolish it. Ten years is reasonable. Even in Texas iirc the average time on DR is 12 years.
Schedule of executions through mid-May

HOME | DEATH ROW | Death Row Information
Scheduled Executions

Scheduled Execution Link Last Name First Name TDCJ Number Date of Birth Race Date Received County
03/11/2015 Offender Information Vasquez Manuel 999336 06/16/1968 H 11/30/1999 Bexar
03/18/2015 Offender Information Mays Randall 999535 08/03/1959 W 05/16/2008 Henderson
04/09/2015 Offender Information Sprouse Kent 999471 08/09/1972 W 03/01/2004 Ellis
04/15/2015 Offender Information Garza Manuel 999434 08/08/1980 H 11/08/2002 Bexar
04/23/2015 Offender Information Vasquez Richard 999319 04/17/1979 H 06/24/1999 Nueces
04/28/2015 Offender Information Pruett Robert 999411 09/18/1979 W 04/30/2002 Bee
05/12/2015 Offender Information Charles Derrick 999451 09/06/1982 B 05/27/2003 Harris
Last updated February 24, 2015

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_scheduled_executions.html

The next up, Vasquez got the DP for this crime

Summary of Incident

On 03/19/98, in San Antonio, Texas, Vasquez and co-defendants strangled to death and robbed a 51-year old Hispanic female as an ordered hit from the Mexican Mafia because she was not paying 10 percent to the Mafia. The victim's partner was severely beaten but survived.

I agree with this. NOTHING SECRET FROM THE JURORS! They struggle with their decisions, only to find out later that they did NOT know all the facts. It is not fair to the jury!

When this over and the jury goes home and researchs, if that is what they choose to do, I think that some may be regretful in their decision making.

Yes they will feel duped. I said after first jury hung, I would never sit on a jury. I won't be part of legal gaming.

I totally agree. A juror for the DP isn't going to sway, it will be one who is one the fence of giving Life that will be swayed.

I understand some wanting to think that some "on the fence" for DP will be convinced but I just don't think it can work that way...I do think if you are "on the fence" and can see the jury will hang and it is not like you are giving her a free pass...life is still a very serious sentence...they could very well change. I just don't see how anyone can still see any hope for DP and I assume that Juan is preparing the Alexanders...the reality is that the defense convinced one or more jurors there is some reason to spare her life.

Curious: It's not over, yet! Hang in there.

If there is a hung jury, then the judge decides. It will be either LWOP or LWP. There is definitely a big difference. Very big difference. Sad to say.

It may well be that but I said the other night probably about 4 threads ago....if this is where they are stuck surely they should start to think if the BPD is as bad as some of them may be thinking why oh why would juan bring it in if it was?

I wish they could know the DT went so hard again using the whole 'mental illness' thing last time around but are more than happy to use it now.

Oh..and I've described jodi as 'mental' and 'crazy' before but not in the actual sense that she is if you get what I mean,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about the whole "mental illness" mitigator and wonder if the jury realizes that if she was really was "crazy" why wasn't her defense the first time reflective of that (diminished capacity- if they have that in AZ- or insanity).

DP appears to be off the table now (IMO)-it bothers me that she can relax-about this, anyway. I understand that some here have said DP should be saved for killers who, say, kill for insurance money, or to get rid of their spouse for a lover, and I agree. If there was no evidence of massive pre-planning of Travis' killing, I'd tend to agree. She has maintained in interviews, even after her conviction, that she was merely defending herself-no remorse there. I do think her premeditation qualifies her for execution, and watching her deliberately torture Travis' family proves she thinks he drove her to it. I wonder if this jury has considered that, while defending herself from imminent harm or death, she managed to come away with nothing worse than a couple of cut fingers from her own knife (think OJ Simpson)-while she was able to serve up a bullet to the head, 29 stab wounds, and a near decapitation. I think I would be stuck on this. Does anyone think that any of these jurors will allow interviews? If so, then maybe we'll know what happened in the jury room. Hard to judge the jurors at this point, since I've never been on this kind of jury before-but I didn't think it would come to an impass after all of these months, and delays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant