• Date of Birth: circa 1942
  • Race: White/Caucasian
  • Height: 5' 9" (69 inches)
  • Weight: 170 lbs
  • Hair Color: Brown
  • Eye Color: Hazel
  • Nickname/Alias: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Yellow terry short-sleeve shirt.
  • Identifiers: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Nace went missing from Lakewood, Washington on August 12, 1978. He was last seen leaving his mother's residence and has never been heard from again. Few details are available regarding his disappearance and his whereabouts remain unknown.

Investigators:
  • Pierce County Sheriff's Office: (253) 798-7530
    Reference Case#: 782250183
NamUs Case Number: MP7794
NCIC Case Number: Not available

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Here’s a picture and short article about George at the time he went missing.
Nice find! Too bad his photo wasn't included on NamUs. I also really dislike it when details like a vehicle being found aren't included in the disappearance info. NamUs is usually pretty good about providing the vehicle information when relevant.

I recently heard of and researched a book called “Sexual Ecology” by Gabriel Rotello. It was written in 1997 and offered insight into potential reasons for HIV proliferation amongst homosexual men. One idea that stuck out to me when reading critical reviews of the book was the idea that during the time period immediately surrounding disappearances such as George Nace, public meetups in places like parks were front and center for gay culture.

I mention this not as criticism of anyone’s lifestyle or beliefs, just that when you mix men with sex, some are violent. This holds true for heterosexuals as well. It doesn’t sound like Nace was married (unless I missed something).

I’m not sure if Wright Park was one of the meetup spots. Perhaps locals could add to the discussion.

Also no need to dogpile me for suggesting this, it is not out of criticism or blaming just that it seems to be a reasonable hypothesis.

I recently heard of and researched a book called “Sexual Ecology” by Gabriel Rotello. It was written in 1997 and offered insight into potential reasons for HIV proliferation amongst homosexual men. One idea that stuck out to me when reading critical reviews of the book was the idea that during the time period immediately surrounding disappearances such as George Nace, public meetups in places like parks were front and center for gay culture.

I mention this not as criticism of anyone’s lifestyle or beliefs, just that when you mix men with sex, some are violent. This holds true for heterosexuals as well. It doesn’t sound like Nace was married (unless I missed something).

I’m not sure if Wright Park was one of the meetup spots. Perhaps locals could add to the discussion.

Also no need to dogpile me for suggesting this, it is not out of criticism or blaming just that it seems to be a reasonable hypothesis.
The article states that his family were looking for him, which could include a wife - especially as he was visiting his parents so lived away from them.

Kathleen Nace lived in the same house until she sold it in 2018. Sometimes, people don’t move because they are hoping the missing person will find a way back home. Did the family think that he had wandered off or had a breakdown of some kind? She lived in that house for 40 years after he went missing.

I don't disagree with your hypothesis. Honestly it was one of the first things that came to my mind as well. He definitely had an involved wife and parents but that doesn't exclude homosexual encounters. He went missing at a time that homosexual relations were still criminilized in most states.

I live in the area and have been to Wright Park and agree that it could have been a viable meetup spot.

I'm gay. I hid my relationships with women from my family for a while out of fear of rejection. When I was still "in the closet" to them the last thing I did before going on a long trip with others was to meet up with the woman I saw seeing. When you exist behind a mask you long to affirm the aspect of your identity you hide from others. If you consider maybe not being involved with one man in specific maybe he cruised the park on the way back home before their camping trip.

I don't suggest this as some sort of character assassination. I suggest it because of gay hook up culture and shame associated with homosexuality at the time. He seems like a decent sized clean cut guy and I cannot honestly fathom what other behavior could have put him at risk because his known life and behaviors don't indicate any real risk factors which leads me to what don't we know or what could he have been hiding?

Additionally I've engaged with a lot of SAGE gays. Folks that would have been close to George Nace in age. A common theme was sticking through their first heterosexual marriage for 20+ years until kids were out of the nest before they left their partners to live in a way that felt more authentic to themselves.

I don't disagree with your hypothesis. Honestly it was one of the first things that came to my mind as well. He definitely had an involved wife and parents but that doesn't exclude homosexual encounters. He went missing at a time that homosexual relations were still criminilized in most states.

I live in the area and have been to Wright Park and agree that it could have been a viable meetup spot.

I'm gay. I hid my relationships with women from my family for a while out of fear of rejection. When I was still "in the closet" to them the last thing I did before going on a long trip with others was to meet up with the woman I saw seeing. When you exist behind a mask you long to affirm the aspect of your identity you hide from others. If you consider maybe not being involved with one man in specific maybe he cruised the park on the way back home before their camping trip.

I don't suggest this as some sort of character assassination. I suggest it because of gay hook up culture and shame associated with homosexuality at the time. He seems like a decent sized clean cut guy and I cannot honestly fathom what other behavior could have put him at risk because his known life and behaviors don't indicate any real risk factors which leads me to what don't we know or what could he have been hiding?

Additionally I've engaged with a lot of SAGE gays. Folks that would have been close to George Nace in age. A common theme was sticking through their first heterosexual marriage for 20+ years until kids were out of the nest before they left their partners to live in a way that felt more authentic to themselves.
I appreciate you taking the time to consider and respond to my post. I am also thankful that you were able to understand my thinking on the matter and realize it is not some kind of assault on a specific sexual orientation or identity which can sometimes happen when discussing difficult cases like these.

I am also sensitive to the idea that society largely frowned upon same-sex relations at the time forcing people to "live two lives" or partake in such relationships in secret. Forcing a sub-culture under the radar has potential risks, one of them being that because that discussions about the matter at hand is non-existent in the "real world." In a simpler sense, when you drive something underground, you also create a situation that any ancillary things along with the thing you drive underground are no longer visible to onlookers.

In this case, it sounds like men were shamed about their sexuality and were driven "underground." The problem is that secrecy can mean secrecy. Forget gay culture, think straight prostitution. It is illegal, yet is rampant. Because you are engaging in a "culturally subversive" act other crimes associated are not reported on at levels in the public eye like in a mainstream social group.

So for instance, if you decide to have a relationship with a female sex-worker in an illegal way, you could be exposed to criminal activity like violence, drugs, etc that you never would report on because you were already involved.

I kind of see that opportunity here -- Perfectly friendly and law abiding gay men cannot express their sexuality, so they set up meetings with other men. Who knows what those other men are like and it is perfectly rational that someone could set up a guy like George Nace as a robbery or planned violent event.

I really liked your viewpoint on how few risk factors someone like Nace really had.

We were close family friends with the Nace's. He had two children that are my age. I was 8 at the time and the mystery of this has always stuck with me and was a big moment in my childhood. His wife died just recently. Mr. Nace was a really nice guy and fun to be around and loved his family. I'm sure something tragic happened. Lost touch with his kids after highschool unfortunately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DColey
Back