Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *14yo charged* #2

At the conclusion of the Reverse Waiver Hearing, the Court ordered simultaneous briefs be filed by November 17th and responses by December 8th. The Court's written decision will follow the briefs. Many of the witnesses called during the multi-day hearing were identified only by their initials but I researched info about the named, subpoenaed witnesses as follows:
Dr. Steven Benson sworn.
DA Newell notes previous objection. Attorney Cohen makes statement to the Court.
Court takes note of objection.

Steven A. Benson, PHD Clinical and Consulting Psychology https://www.linkedin.com/in/steven-a-benson-phd-597aa315

Defense witness J. Garbarino sworn & questioned by Attorney Cohen.
James Garbarino is an author and professor at Loyola University Chicago. He has specialized in studying what causes violence in children, how they cope with it and how to rehabilitate them. Wikipedia
Defense witness B. Widera (via Zoom audio) sworn & questioned by Attorney Cohen.
Witness cross-examined by DA Newell.
Attorney Cohen moves to admit Mr. Widera's evidence previously filed.
DA Newell objects.
Court finds weight and allows evidence.
Court notes objection, takes judicial notice, overrules and again allows evidence as deemed relevant.
The Court previously found Mr. Widera's Affidavit lacking information re. parameters of his search and more foundation needs to be available. Court took judicial notice of underlying cases on CCAP (Wisconsin state court database) but ruled testimony is needed.
Defense witness Dr. Larson sworn & questioned by Attorney Linzmeier.
Dr. Larson treats a wide variety of child and adolescent mental health concerns. Interests include ADHD, depression, anxiety, vocal/motor tics and sleep disruptions.

Just another docket update - no court date yet...
I don't think we can expect to learn a court date until the Court renders a decision on whether or not the Reverse Waiver Petition is denied/granted. This written decision from the Court is expected sometime after Dec 8. The good news is that since it appears the transcripts from the hearings have been filed, the attorneys for each side should be able to file their briefs timely. :)

I don't think we can expect to learn a court date until the Court renders a decision on whether or not the Reverse Waiver Petition is denied/granted. This written decision from the Court is expected sometime after Dec 8. The good news is that since it appears the transcripts from the hearings have been filed, the attorneys for each side should be able to file their briefs timely. :)

Yes - I have all those dates in my notes - which I now bolded - so I remember.

docket update - still no court date.

Court record
Date Event Court official Court reporter Amount
10-02-2023 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
from Attorney Michael Cohen in response to DA Newell's letter dated 10/2/2023 (sent for review)

Additional text:
Request from DA Newell - Sent for review

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

docket update - still no court date.

Court record
Additional text:
from Attorney Michael Cohen in response to DA Newell's letter dated 10/2/2023 (sent for review)

Additional text:
Request from DA Newell - Sent for review

Not expecting a court date yet since we still don't know whether or not the defendant will be tried as an adult or if the case will be heard in juvenile court.

Just a docket update - no next hearing date yet.

Court record
11-17-2023 Brief
Additional text:
in Support of Reverse Waiver, Defendant's (sent for review)

11-13-2023 Brief
Additional text:
State's Reverse Waiver Brief (sent for reveiw)

Responses to these briefs are due on 12/8/23.

A Wisconsin boy who was 14 when he allegedly sexually assaulted and killed his 10-year-old cousin in 2022 will stand trial as an adult, a judge ruled on Monday.

A Wisconsin boy who was 14 when he allegedly sexually assaulted and killed his 10-year-old cousin in 2022 will stand trial as an adult, a judge ruled on Monday.
Interesting. I wonder if his name will be made public at some point, then. I know laws are different regarding this in different places.

MOO

Looked in the court site - no upcoming hearing dates yet.

Interesting. I wonder if his name will be made public at some point, then. I know laws are different regarding this in different places.

MOO

From the article just upthread:

Lily Peters’ accused killer (initials C.P.-B.), now 15, will be publicly identified in light of the latest ruling. The ruling also means the case will remain in adult court, where he is charged with first-degree intentional homicide and first-degree sexual assault, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

From the article just upthread:

Lily Peters’ accused killer (initials C.P.-B.), now 15, will be publicly identified in light of the latest ruling. The ruling also means the case will remain in adult court, where he is charged with first-degree intentional homicide and first-degree sexual assault, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

I have his real name - so when it is released - can someone "tag" me?? TIA! :)

The boy told investigators that after they left the trail, he punched her, hit her with a heavy stick and strangled her until she died, then sexually assaulted her body, according to a criminal complaint.

Anyone who is at least 10 years old and is accused of first- or second-degree homicide is considered an adult in Wisconsin’s court system.

Docket update:

Court record
02-01-2024 Acknowledgment from Court of Appeals
Additional text:
Acknowledgement of Filing of Writ/Petition - A petition for Leave to Appeal has been filed 2/1/2024

02-01-2024 Petition for leave to appeal
Additional text:
Petition for Leave to Appeal a nonfinal Order of the Circuit Court for Chippewa County, and for stay of proceeding pending Appeal

01-22-2024 Decision and order Gibbs, Steven H.
Additional text:
on Reverse Waiver

12-11-2023 Response/reply
Additional text:
Defendant's Response to State's Response to Defendant's Brief - filed by Attorney Michael R. Cohen and Alicia A Linzmeier (sent for review)

12-08-2023 Response/reply
Additional text:
State's Response to Defendant's Reverse Waiver Brief (sent for review)

No court date set yet.

Docket update - no hearing date listed yet.

Court record
02-08-2024 Order Gibbs, Steven H.
Additional text:
on Defendant's Motion to Stay Proceedings Pending Appeal

02-08-2024 Proposed Order

02-08-2024 Motion
Additional text:
to Stay Proceedings Pending Appeal, filed by Attorney Cohen

02-06-2024 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
from Attorney Michael R. Cohen in response to State's request to schedule Arraignment (sent for review)

02-06-2024 Letters/correspondence
Additional text:
State's Letter Requesting to Schedule Arraignment, filed by DA Newell - Sent for review

02-02-2024 Order of Court of Appeals
Additional text:
It is Ordered that the motion to stay proceedings in the circuit court pending
disposition of the petition for leave to appeal is denied.

libk: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Docket update:

Court record
02-22-2024 Notice
Additional text:
Notice from Court of Appeals, dated 2/22/2024, NOA and docket entries received by COA. Appeals case No 2024AP000189

02-22-2024 Index
Additional text:
Appeals Document Index saved for: 2024AP000189 by: Laura J Hayden

02-22-2024 Notice of compilation of record
Additional text:
Sent Electronically

02-22-2024 Other papers
Additional text:
Court Record

02-20-2024 Order granting petition for leave to appeal
Additional text:
It is Ordered that C.T.P.-B.'s motion for leave to file a reply to the State's response is granted.
It is further Ordered that the petition for leave to appeal is granted.
It is further Ordered that further proceedings in the circuit court are stayed
pending appeal.

Docket update:
Court record
03-11-2024 Notice
Additional text:
The Record has been filed with the Court of Appeals.

03-08-2024 Transmittal of record to court of appeals
Additional text:
Appeals Document Index: 2024AP000189 sent to Court of Appeals by: Laura J Hayden

03-08-2024 Transmittal of record to court of appeals
Additional text:
Record sent electronically to Court of Appeals

APR 9, 2024
Kids in Wisconsin can now depend on a wider net if they were to ever go missing.

Governor Evers signed the “Prince Act”, named after Prince McCree of Milwaukee, into law to address gaps in the Amber Alert system.

Advocates say those gaps are the reason why McCree and Lily Peters are not with us today.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kakkilynn
Back