WI WI - Madison, WhtMale 18-35, 745UMWI, in chimney, fem clothing, German iron cross medallion, Sep'89

What do these numbers mean? Also is the press sheet publicly available?
Yes, it is publicly available

I believe 421 cM, might be second cousin level

cM = centimorgan (not to be confused with centimeter)

The caveat: Sometimes relationships are tangled, so what could be promising initially may require lots of untangling. Sometimes adoption is involved etc. Sometimes large families pose challenges: (My hubby's dad came from a family of nine. They're pretty active on Ancestry. I ask, "How is so and so related to you? I have no idea who his second cousins are, because I don't think we invited them to our wedding and vice versa. I think it was agreed that family gatherings involving more than first cousins were just too large )

However, if Chimney Doe's family history is pretty straightforward and has several genealogists this is promising.

Centimorgan chart hi resolution here:

Centimorgan chart low resolution:
centimorgan-chart.png

Last edited:
What do these numbers mean? Also is the press sheet publicly available?
421cM is the level of a second cousin, half first cousin, first cousin once removed, half great niece/nephew (the grandchild of a half sibling), or great great niece/nephew. That sort of range. It's a pretty close match.

Of course, there are things that can complicate. Endogamy is a big one. That's when communities inter-marry a lot, so someone shares more cM with someone than they 'should'. For example, someone who is only a third cousin on paper, but the families have been intermarrying for a while and they only descend from a few ancestors, so that third cousin actually is related like a second or first cousin because they are related on both the mother and father's side. With endogamy it's hard for researchers to untangle the webs and figure out who belongs where to find an identity.

Incredible. I selfishly hope for our own curiosity we find out more, but more so I hope if there's a family out there wondering, they'll have answers.
I hope so too, prayin' it ain't a Pillar Point Doe type deal. This is after all, an unsolved possible homicide, normally homicide victims have their names released.

Philip Wade Murphy The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
disappeared from a mental hospital in the midwest a few months before this body was found. Philip suffered from schizophrenia.
Good suggestion. There's a lot more about Murphy here, including some lengthy linked articles.

I understand there's testing going on, but it looks like the case is still active so I thought I'd throw a potential match out there. Namus ID#MP30170 Patrick Charles McCutcheon from Michigan. He was 30 and 5'5 with a slim build, but unfortunately there's no pics or further info on namus. He went missing from northern Michigan and I'm not american so I'm not sure if there's a ferry or any available way to cross the water, but he could have driven around too.

I understand there's testing going on, but it looks like the case is still active so I thought I'd throw a potential match out there. Namus ID#MP30170 Patrick Charles McCutcheon from Michigan. He was 30 and 5'5 with a slim build, but unfortunately there's no pics or further info on namus. He went missing from northern Michigan and I'm not american so I'm not sure if there's a ferry or any available way to cross the water, but he could have driven around too.
He'd had to have driven around, you can't get through Lake Michigan from east to west.

Credit: These cases were first suggested here by @madamx :
WI - WI - Madison, WhtMale 18-35, 745UMWI, in chimney, fem clothing, German iron cross medallion, Sep'89

I submitted the following cases to NamUs, and the DNA Doe Project.

Phillip Wade Murphy was diagnosed with bi-polar and schizophrenia, and on May 19, 1989, he "escaped from Adolf Meyers Mental Health Center in Decatur IL." Approximately 3.5 months later, an unidentified skeletonized male was found in a chimney of a business dressed as a woman in Madison, WI, roughly 235 miles away from Phillip's last location.

While it may be accurate, the unidentified's facial reconstruction appears a little unnatural in the area of the glabella and nasal bone relative to the eyes. This area does not match Phillip's face, while everything else is close enough, especially the jaw line. Both men are slim build with brown hair, and similar hair lengths.

If the unidentified was a bi-polar schizophrenic, this may likely be the contributing factor to explain the cross-dressing. Both conditions can be worsened with drug use.

Looking at the younger photo of Phillip Wade Murphy, it appears that he could have had an overbite, aligning with the unidentified. Furthermore, Phillip was missing a tooth, and given the condition of the skeleton, he could have been missing a tooth (to be confirmed).

Link to an article with a photo of unidentified's skeletal remains found in the chimney:
*WARNING: post-mortem photo (skeletal remains):*
Area morgues facing more unclaimed bodies

Younger photo of Phillip Wade Murphy (overbite?):
Missing person
Another photo here, looks like it was written by his ex-wife
received_10155123816272546-1513050227-5934.jpg

Side-by-Side of Phillip Wade Murphy with unidentified's facial reconstruction:
phillip-murphy.jpg

Phillip Wade Murphy (NamUs #MP89203)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
IL - IL, Phillip Wade Murphy, 22, Decatur, 19 May 1989

Dane County, WI Unidentified (NamUs #UP4770)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:
yes your right doyoulovemepfg, I was thinking the same thing the height is off.. but I just thought I would put him up here anyway..i have not really found anyone else that seems to match
The height is well within range. According to NamUs, this unidentified is estimated to be 5' 7", while the missing is believed to be between 5' 8" - 5' 10". Some men cross-dress as a result of bi-polar schizophrenia, more often contributed to bi-polar. I think you're spot on.

Last edited:
Michael Smalls went missing from Milwaukee July 28,1980. Michael stated he was going to New York State to live.Michael is a little taller but that is irrelevant. Michael was entered in Namus in 2015. His DNA was submitted but not tested yet. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/29102/

attachment.php
attachment.php

This man visually resembles the unidentified more than anyone I've seen with regard to the brow, and nose, although, he doesn't seem like he has an overbite but maybe if given a different angle.. Why is he not ruled out yet?

Last edited:
This man visually resembles the unidentified more than anyone I've seen with regard to the brow, and nose, although, he doesn't seem like he has an overbite but maybe if given a different angle.. Why is he not ruled out yet?
Never mind. It states that he went missing after the unidentified was found.

Last edited:
Do you know more about why that is? That is something I have never heard before.

Although I could see someone having ideas while manic such that climbing into a chimney "makes sense at the time."
IMO.
Cross-dressing behavior in men with bi-polar disorder can be associated with hypersexuality, and may involve "decreased inhibitions or a need for forbidden sexual experiences." "It doesn’t matter whether the behavior is cross-dressing, sadomasochism, prostitution, compulsive sex, pedophilia, or rape;" these extreme sexual behaviors can occur during manic or hypomanic episodes in bi-polar disorder. Additionally, there can be interplay with schizophrenia, and intensified with drug use.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unsilent_bob
Back