WV WV - David McKinley Hess, 50, ATV found near an abandoned mine, Rock View & Skin Fork area, Wyoming County, 11 Jun 2023

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
V2U5QKCKOFH2FNVY6J42Z7QW3I.PNG

WYOMING COUNTY, W.Va. (WVVA) - A search is currently underway for a missing person in Wyoming County.

The Pineville Police Dept. is taking the lead on the investigation, with the Wyoming County Sheriff’s Dept. assisting.

According to a release from the Pineville Police Dept., David McKinley Hess, 50, was reported missing by family members on June 11, 2023. It said family members led police to an abandoned mine where Hess’ ATV was found at entrance near the Rock View/ Skin Fork area of Wyoming County.

A team from the West Virginia Office of Mine Safety and Training will soon be conducting a search of the mine.

Hess is described as a white male with brown hair, weighing in around 160 pounds. He is 5,6 inches tall.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is urged to contact the Pineville Police Dept. at 304-732-6255.

Stay with WVVA for new developments on this story.

Snipped...
...The mine was shut down in 1990 and has not been open since.

Hess frequently entered the mine in search of coal pieces and old lanterns.

So are they just assuming he’s in the mine and they just can’t find him? Is the mine so unsafe that searching further would put people at risk? I can’t imagine “knowing” a family member was in there and being ok with just leaving it at that! My prayers are with them all.

So are they just assuming he’s in the mine and they just can’t find him? Is the mine so unsafe that searching further would put people at risk? I can’t imagine “knowing” a family member was in there and being ok with just leaving it at that! My prayers are with them all.

Yes, sounds like it was too unsafe:

"The mine rescue team, from the West Virginia Office of Miners’ Health Safety and Training, exhausted all areas of the mine that could be searched before it became too dangerous for team members, Pineville Police Chief Zack Helmandollar said."

<I also noted this tidbit>

"Hess had been going inside the mine for about eight months, Helmandollar noted, and had previously gotten lost there."

I agree about knowing a family member was in there and not being OK to just leave it at that - I'd probably be the second person reported missing because I wouldn't be able to stand it! I wish there was some way to be safe and find him, but it must be pretty bad if the Miners organization paused.

IMO, like GraceG mentioned, I VERY frequently see articles about people entering mines and also destroying active properties that serve other purposes, to steal copper and other items to sell.
The old lanterns bit is next to impossible for me to believe. I am sorry to see a person lost, regardless.

Yes, sounds like it was too unsafe:

"The mine rescue team, from the West Virginia Office of Miners’ Health Safety and Training, exhausted all areas of the mine that could be searched before it became too dangerous for team members, Pineville Police Chief Zack Helmandollar said."

<I also noted this tidbit>

"Hess had been going inside the mine for about eight months, Helmandollar noted, and had previously gotten lost there."

I agree about knowing a family member was in there and not being OK to just leave it at that - I'd probably be the second person reported missing because I wouldn't be able to stand it! I wish there was some way to be safe and find him, but it must be pretty bad if the Miners organization paused.
It’s just awful all around. My heart goes out to his loved ones.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl
Back