Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #111

Pfizer--that's all the pharmacy had. Most of our Covid shots have been Pfizer.
All my early shots were Moderna, with normal unpleasant side effects for a few days. Then one time I got Pfizer, and I had zero side effects and barely even a sore arm. On the hopeful assumption that all the vaxxes are equal in effectiveness, I now favor Pfizer when given the option.

Novavax wasn't an option in my area early on, but now I think it might be? Is that one supposed to be better? Seems I've heard that.

All my early shots were Moderna, with normal unpleasant side effects for a few days. Then one time I got Pfizer, and I had zero side effects and barely even a sore arm. On the hopeful assumption that all the vaxxes are equal in effectiveness, I now favor Pfizer when given the option.

Novavax wasn't an option in my area early on, but now I think it might be? Is that one supposed to be better? Seems I've heard that.
When the vax first came out Moderna had a stronger dose- I got Moderna at that time--- never had a bad reaction. I haven't had a vax in two years- for some reason I am hesitant with the new formulated vaccines. I was very hesitant to get vaxxed initially, but that was in 2021 when the pandemic was in full throttle and I put my fears aside. I then got a couple of boosters. I have never had a flu vaccine.

Interesting... when I saw your post a while back I thought it had already been decided that this fall's formula would target JN.1, which I wasn't happy about that since KP.2 is growing faster and JN.1 was receding.

Original post with that chart HERE, and a snippet from it here: the trend is definitely showing that JN.1 (purple) is losing ground to KP.2 (gray). Also, it appears that KP.2 is growing at a faster pace (doubling) than JN.1 is declining (baby steps).

But now it appears a decision hasn't been made. The meeting was supposed to be today but it got pushed out until 6/5.

The May 16, 2024, VRBPAC Meeting has been rescheduled for June 5, 2024. This new date will allow for additional time to obtain surveillance data and other information so the VRBPAC Committee will have more up-to-date information when discussing and making recommendations. FDA does not anticipate that the date change will impact COVID-19 vaccine availability for the Fall.

So it looks like the formula is still up in the air:

We expect the next updated version of the COVID-19 vaccine to be released this fall, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) advisory committee is meeting June 5 to discuss and make recommendations on its formulation.
Well, I didn't get my wish. Looks like they are going ahead with an update vaccine for JN.1 lineage, when KP.2 is dominant. I really need to give them my direct line so they can contact me about these sorts of things.

The committee voted on the question, “For the 2024-2025 Formula of COVID-19 vaccines in the U.S., does the committee recommend a monovalent JN.1-lineage vaccine composition?” All 16 of the advisers voted “yes.”

The decision now goes to the full FDA. If the agency agrees with its advisory committee, the new shot will be a monovalent vaccine, offering protection against one coronavirus variant. Some previous vaccines have been bivalent, meaning they were formulated to protect against two variant
s.

==============================================================================================
Currently, the dominant variant nationwide is KP.2, with 28.5% of cases, followed by KP.3, with 12.7% of cases, and JN.1.7, with 9.2% of cases. "The original omicron variant is gone now," says Dr. Rupp. "Currently subvariants of omicron are circulating, including KQ.1, JN.1.11.1, and KP.1.1."

JN.1 is on the outs (purple) with KP.2 rising in gray. Oh well.

1717647734705.png

Last edited:
I really wish the next vaccine was targeting KP.2 and not JN strains as they are quickly fading while KP are on the rise. :(

5/10/24 -

More than a third of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are now estimated to be from a new, fast-growing member of a group of so-called "FLiRT" variants, nicknamed for their small but distinctive changes relative to the JN.1 strain. JN.1 was the variant behind this past winter wave of infections.

The largest among them, called KP.2 by scientists, has quickly multiplied in recent weeks to become the now-dominant new COVID-19 strain.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's every-other-week variant estimates, KP.2 and another strain with the same FLiRT mutations, called KP.1.1, together make up a projected 35.3% of infections this week. This is up from 7.1% a month ago.

Wastewater Ticking up - Boston Globe

Levels of COVID in Mass. waste water tick up with arrival of new ‘FLiRT’ variants​

I get the weekly reports from the Boston Globe on Covid-19 cases in Massachusetts, and for the week of May 12-May 18 there were 613 new confirmed covoravirus cases and 4 deaths. In addition, during this timeframe, there were 90 hospitalizations due to covid-19. These data are for the entire state, and good to see that so far this summer numbers are low for both hospitalization and deaths. Will be important to see if the arrival of the FLiRT variants have an impact on these numbers.

I really wish the next vaccine was targeting KP.2 and not JN strains as they are quickly fading while KP are on the rise. :(

5/10/24 -

More than a third of COVID-19 cases in the U.S. are now estimated to be from a new, fast-growing member of a group of so-called "FLiRT" variants, nicknamed for their small but distinctive changes relative to the JN.1 strain. JN.1 was the variant behind this past winter wave of infections.

The largest among them, called KP.2 by scientists, has quickly multiplied in recent weeks to become the now-dominant new COVID-19 strain.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's every-other-week variant estimates, KP.2 and another strain with the same FLiRT mutations, called KP.1.1, together make up a projected 35.3% of infections this week. This is up from 7.1% a month ago.

I wonder what their reasoning was on that decision. As my mother used to say when something didn’t make sense…
“There must be a reason.”

I wonder what their reasoning was on that decision. As my mother used to say when something didn’t make sense…
“There must be a reason.”
I totally agree. I thought of that very thing before I even posted. My guess is they are using outdated data. My opinion is from years of working in a large corporation that did that very thing. Red tape, etc., all made it VERY hard to make decisions and change in a timely manner. One of the things they used to say about my company is it was like trying to change the course of a VERY large ship. It's not quick.

And as far as Covid goes, that's unfortunate. I wish companies could make their own decisions on which variant to target by looking at the data and not be told by slow large decision makers what they must do. I'm not faulting them as I understand why they do it this way (slowly). It just would be better for all IMO if decisions could be made on more recent data.

And by the time September/October rolls around... I'm not sure the JN strain will even still be around by looking at how quickly KP.2 is kicking it to the curb. Here's the chart from my older post to keep things together:

1717653688951.png

Re: the fall updated vaccine
From "Your Local Epidemiologist" Substack:
Today, the FDA held a much anticipated meeting. Their external scientific committee, VRBPAC, unanimously voted to update the Covid-19 vaccine formula for this fall. Which exact variant will be in the vaccine? We don’t know yet. Will Novavax be an option? That’s a million-dollar question....

(snip)
While any vaccine will help against severe disease, variant selection—JN.1 vs. KP— requires other tradeoffs:
  • JN.1 option—all vaccines (including Novavax) would be available this fall because they’ve already been working towards this. It also follows what other countries will do. However, this will not be not as effective against infections because the virus has already changed and will continue to change.
  • KP.2/KP.3 option—this would be the most up-to-date formula, which will prevent more infections. However, Novavax would not be an option—they can’t change course this late in the year. This may mean fewer vaccinated, as many (including me) prefer Novavax because it has fewer side effects.
FDA didn’t come to a decision today. It seems they are leaning towards JN.1, which I think is the right call....

Tucson icon Linda Ronstadt lost her capacity to speak and hear after a second bout of COVID earlier this year.

With the help of therapy and attentive, around-the-clock care, the legendary songstress has regained her speech, she recently told a high school classmate who checked in with her ahead of their 60th reunion at Catalina High School.

Though Ronstadt has regained her speech, she said her hearing loss may be permanent.

Tucson icon Linda Ronstadt lost her capacity to speak and hear after a second bout of COVID earlier this year.

With the help of therapy and attentive, around-the-clock care, the legendary songstress has regained her speech, she recently told a high school classmate who checked in with her ahead of their 60th reunion at Catalina High School.

Though Ronstadt has regained her speech, she said her hearing loss may be permanent.

I am so sorry to hear this---it is so sad and reaffirms my thoughts that this virus is
Pure evil

At this point there is no proof that Covid actually causes cancer but scientists are investigating the possibility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thewelshrock1972
Back