Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

I quite honestly can't help but wonder, if the roles had been reversed, and the wiry, smaller KG had gotten the advantage quickly, and had slammed the larger MD's head onto the pavement repeatedly, leaving her seriously injured, and a decision was made to try KG as a juvi, would there still be the level of outrage that we seem to see from many in this case. I tend to doubt it. JMO
Absolutely! If KG had done that to MD my outrage would be equal

I was one who felt MD should have been tried as an adult. But the ruling has been made.

I have to assume those individuals who decided the case should stay in the Juvie courts had access to the facts and mitigators in a way that we, the public did not. A lot of public outcry about this case was based on rumor, speculation and headlines designed to stir the pot.

At the end of the day I am satisfied with their decision as they are the ones who had the facts. I feel both girls made horrible choices that day and hope both of them learn this lesson that was costly to both. I hope they can both move forward to live productive lives contributing to society.
My decision to try her as an adult was based on that video clip only. The most hideous thing I have ever seen. If this can be explained away, anything can and that leaves me in dispair

I haven't seen any evidence of EITHER of them being defended, by anybody other than their parents.
MD’s family defended her and offered up non factual information to paint her in a “victim” light. KG’s family told the truth in my opinion. They didn’t defend their daughter until the other family said things that were not true. MD ageed to this fight off school grounds. Was that so she could maintain her halo? We will never know.

I was one who felt MD should have been tried as an adult. But the ruling has been made.

I have to assume those individuals who decided the case should stay in the Juvie courts had access to the facts and mitigators in a way that we, the public did not. A lot of public outcry about this case was based on rumor, speculation and headlines designed to stir the pot.

At the end of the day I am satisfied with their decision as they are the ones who had the facts. I feel both girls made horrible choices that day and hope both of them learn this lesson that was costly to both. I hope they can both move forward to live productive lives contributing to society.
It was way more costly to one than the other.

No. I will never believe this was her “first fight”. She has a horrible violent capability
We can only wonder whether this was MD's first fight, as there is nothing at all to support the idea that she had ever engaged in a previous one. We don't have to wonder about KG though. We know, from her father's own words, that after going to live with her mother, Kaylee began to have problems at school and was routinely involved in altercations. We also know that she was suspended, the day before the brawl with MD, for fighting another student, in school. It sounds to me as if she had horrible violent capabilities, as well. JMO

MD’s family defended her and offered up non factual information to paint her in a “victim” light. KG’s family told the truth in my opinion. They didn’t defend their daughter until the other family said things that were not true. MD ageed to this fight off school grounds. Was that so she could maintain her halo? We will never know.
I expect this won’t be the last time we read about MD in the news.

Perhaps MD agreed to fight "OFF school grounds", because, having been suspended just the day before, for fighting yet another student, KG was very likely not allowed to be ON school grounds. JMO

There will be virtually no punishment for the “ honor student”. KG can’t focus as her short term memory is impaired
I understand what you're saying, and I hope KG fully recovers. Short-term memory impairment isn't necessarily permanent. She's improving all the time, according to her family.

But that aside, we don't base juvenile punishment solely on the result of the minor's actions because of their reduced capacity for judgment and their higher potential for rehabilitation.

As a society, we recognize minors are still developing emotionally and cognitively, which affects their decision-making ability.

MD will still be punished for losing control in the fight, but I'm guessing the judge and Juvenile Officer took KG's intent into account as well. MOO

For me, it's not about getting revenge on MD as much as it is trying to help a teen modify their behavior so they can become a contributing member of society rather than another statistic we have to lock up and feed with our tax dollars.

That's all just MOO, but given the circumstances, I think the court made the correct decision.

I think you're right about how the families reacted.

But, we can't decide a minor's legal fate based on her family's true or untrue statements.

The Juvenile Officer had to investigate, and we know several of MD's teachers testified about her good behavior in the hearing.

You're also right that we'll likely never know a lot of details about this case now that it's going to stay in the juvenile system.

But, we do know that the judge had a lot more to go on than just the video we saw. If all he had was that video, I have a feeling he might have ruled differently.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back