UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s “unexpected” death last year, May 2023-- MEDIA, MAPS, TIMELINE **NO DISCUSSION**

5/20/24

PARK CITY — In a private hearing Monday, the attorneys for Kouri Richins were granted a motion to withdraw as her defense team.

The motion was granted during court hearing in 3rd Judicial District Court.

On Friday, Ray Quinney and Nebeker P.C., the law firm representing Richins filed a motion with the court withdraw from the case. The request to withdraw was based on “an irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.”

5/20/24

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4) — The defense for Kouri Richins — the Kamas, Utah woman on trial for allegedly poisoning her husband with fentanyl, resulting in his death in March of 2022 — has officially withdrawn from representing Richins in the case after filing a motion to do so on Friday.

While the court’s approval is private, Richins’ attorneys provided the following reasoning for their withdrawal: “Ray Quinney & Nebeker P.C. (“RQN” or “Firm”) is hereby providing notice that it has a professional duty to withdraw from its current representation of the Defendant,” a court filing in the Third Judicial District Court states. “The ethical mandate for withdrawal results from an irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.”

LEARN MORE: Kouri Richins complete timeline in murder case

5/21/24

On Monday, her attorneys were granted a motion to withdraw from the criminal case after claiming there was an “irreconcilable situation.”

On Friday, the firm of Ray, Quinney and Nebeker claimed their desire to stop defending Richins stemmed from the civil cases the firm represented Richins for, not the criminal case. Whatever the issues were, they were connected to the entire firm, so the firm as a whole asked the judge to find another defense team for Richins’ criminal trial.

5/21/24

Kouri Richins’ court proceedings could be delayed by a few months after a Summit County judge agreed to let her defense attorneys withdraw from her case.

Third District Court Judge Richard Mrazik granted the motion filed by Salt Lake City-based law firm Ray Quinney & Nebeker during a closed hearing on Monday. Skye Lazaro had been leading the defense. She filed to withdraw on Friday, citing “an irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.”

The court document states the conflict first arose in the civil cases in which the law firm represented Kouri, but it now extends to the criminal proceedings. The matter emerged after the hearing on May 15, after which Kouri and her attorneys met privately.

[..]

The state will respond to the motion to disqualify prosecution when new counsel is appointed.

“The contemporaneous written and digital record … will establish that at all times the Summit County Attorney’s Office has acted professionally and ethically. Assertions to the contrary are false and actionable under Utah law,” Summit County Attorney Margaret Olson said.

Mrazik set a status hearing for 10 a.m. on Friday.

Last edited:

5/21/24

[..]

On Monday, the judge granted the motion to withdraw at a closed hearing. A status hearing in the case was scheduled for May 24. A new attorney has not yet been named to represent Kouri.

Before filing the motion to withdraw, Lazaro filed a motion asking the judge to disqualify the prosecution from the case, specifically chief prosecutor Brad Bloodworth, “due to his involvement in severe violations that compromise the integrity of adversarial fairness.”

The motion accuses Bloodworth of violating Kouri’s attorney-client privilege multiple times, including by saving recorded jail phone calls. Kouri’s attorney alerted prosecutors that some of her phone calls with counsel were produced in discovery. Bloodworth responded, saying that because Kouri’s attorney refused to register and download an app that shields attorney-client calls, “it seems [the attorney] consented to the State maintaining the recordings.” The defense says it never consented and Kouri never waived her attorney-client privilege.

The filing also references an incident on March 26, 2024, when Kouri and her attorney met in jail. Kouri had told the sergeant that she would need a “paper pass” to give relevant documents to her counsel, but the sergeant challenged the issue. Lazaro recounted in the filing that she repeatedly told the officer that he could not read the pages or seize them, but that he insisted on reading them anyway.

When the sergeant was unsure how to proceed, Lazaro alleges he left the room before returning with his captain and Bloodworth, where the “tense confrontation” continued before Bloodworth eventually allowed Lazaro to take the notebook. Lazaro said the incident was a clear violation of Kouri’s Sixth Amendment rights, and when combined with the phone calls, provides evidence that the prosecution should be removed from the case.

5/22/24

Court records show 3rd District Court Judge Richard Mrazik stated his intention to appoint Salt Lake City attorneys Kathy Nester and Wendy Lewis as Richins’ “indigent counsel” during a hearing May 22.

Criminal defendants are appointed public
defenders if they can prove to a judge they don’t have the financial means to pay for their own defense. That's because county governments cover the cost of indigent defense.

Defendants must also be facing jail or prison time to qualify.
Mrazik’s appointment of Nester and Lewis comes two days after the law firm that had represented Richins for more than a year withdrew from her case, citing “an irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.”

[..]

Prosecutors will have a chance to weigh in on Mzarik’s proposed appointment of Lewis and Nester at a hearing set for May 24 at noon.

Nester was the Federal Public Defender for the District of Utah from 2011 to 2018, and Lewis worked for her as an assistant federal public defender. They formed a criminal defense practice together in 2022, according to their website.

Lewis declined to comment Wednesday, and Nester was traveling.

Richins’ mother Lisa Darden previously told KPCW the issue with her daughters’ previous attorneys was related to conflicts of interests, not their ability to pay.

Also May 22, Mrazik said he is temporarily prohibiting Richins from media interviews until she has new lawyers, to preserve her right not to self-incriminate.

5/23/24

Richins, 34, a mother of three who wrote a children’s book about grief after her husband died, made the recorded comments to a spokesperson who provided the audio exclusively to "Dateline" this week. Richins has been held in the Summit County Jail, east of Salt Lake City, since a judge denied her bail last year.

For more on Kouri Richins’ case, listen to Dateline True Crime Weekly

“I’ve been silent for a year, locked away from my kids, my family, my life, living with the media telling the world who they think I am, what they think I’ve done or how they think I’ve lived,” she said in one statement. “And it’s time to start speaking up.

[..]

In one of her statements, Richins accused prosecutors of doing "anything they can to prolong this process and hide their corruption. I will not play into the prosecution’s unconstitutional behavior anymore."

“Although I am extremely disappointed where we’re at right now with this case, I’m anxious. I’m anxious to prove my innocence. I’m anxious to get to trial," she said in the statement.

In an email on behalf of Bloodworth's office, Olson said that since charges were filed against Richins, her office had "deferred to and accommodated" the defendant's scheduling preferences and requests.

In a statement released Wednesday night, Olson's office said the defense lawyer's motion to disqualify prosecutors was "materially inaccurate" and had been "filed in bad faith."

The statement said the county attorney's office planned to file a response to the allegations by May 31 and address the motion "at the appropriate times and in the appropriate forums."

Last edited:

5/24/24

Just over a year since she was charged with the first-degree aggravated murder of her husband, Eric, Kouri Richins said the world has yet to hear the “real facts of the case.” In a recorded message sent to ABC News, Richins said speaking out for the first time is terrifying but needed.

“The media has twisted and turned what they think they know [into] what will sell or what will get the most views,” said Richins, continuing to say it was time for damage control.

[..]

Richins was recently appointed a new defense team after her previous team, led by Skye Lazaro, withdrew from the case due to an undisclosed “irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.” State prosecutors, Richins and her new defense team are scheduled to meet again in person before Judge Richard Mrazik on Friday, June 21.

5/24/24

SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — Kouri Richins, accused of murdering her husband with a fentanyl-laced drink in 2022, has a new defense team after her previous attorneys asked to be removed from the case.

At a status hearing Friday, the changeover from Richins' former representation, Ray, Quinney & Nebeker, was made official as 3rd District Judge Richard Mrazik granted a motion to withdraw and appointed new counsel.

Richins' case was handed over to the law firm Nester/Lewis, with attorney Wendy Lewis appearing via WebEx to accept the appointment.

5/24/24

PARK CITY, Utah — As Kouri Richins' defense attorneys have withdrawn from the case and a new team has stepped in, a preliminary hearing scheduled for June has been completely removed from the calendar.

[..]

Lewis explained that June 18 was no longer a viable date because of "multiple terabytes of discovery" that her team needed to review.

Mrazik completely removed the June 18 preliminary hearing from the calendar in order to give the defense time to catch up.

[..]

Richins and her new team will appear next in court on June 21 at 3 p.m. for an in-person hearing.

5/24/24

The new team—Salt Lake City attorneys Kathy Nester and Wendy Lewis—needs time to meet with Richins and look over the evidence.

“I understand there are multiple terabytes of discovery,” Lewis told the court.

Mrazik appointed Nester and Lewis through a court order May 23.

Richins' previous attorneys withdrew May 20 after telling the judge there was an “irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.” Court records indicate former defense attorney Skye Lazaro told Mrazik Richins was unable to continue to pay for her defense.

Another hearing in the case is set for June 21 at 3 p.m.

5/24/24

[..]

The judge asked Lazaro to ensure that case documents are sent to the new attorneys quickly.

Lewis said it is hard to say how much time she will need to prepare for a preliminary hearing and asked to set a hearing in mid-June where they could schedule the preliminary hearing. That hearing was set for June 21.

[..]

She said the world has not yet heard who she really is, or the real facts of the case and said it is time “to do some serious damage control.”

“Who I really am, and all that matters, is a wife of Eric Richins and a mom to three beautiful boys. What I’ve really done is protect Eric at all cost; what I really didn’t do is murder my husband. I could not, and would not ever do that to Eric, or anyone for that matter. I’m asking the world to give me a chance. Give me a chance to prove it to you,” Richins said.

Richins said she was devastated and shocked her team had to withdraw, and said Lazaro has become like family and it was not the choice of either of them. However, she said it is time to move forward. She said there is work to do and she is ready for the challenge.

5/24/24

SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) — Kouri Richins, accused of murdering her husband with a fentanyl-laced drink in 2022, has a new defense team after her previous attorneys asked to be removed from the case.

At a status hearing Friday, the changeover from Richins' former representation, Ray, Quinney & Nebeker, was made official as 3rd District Judge Richard Mrazik granted a motion to withdraw and appointed new counsel.

Richins' case was handed over to the law firm Nester/Lewis, with attorney Wendy Lewis appearing via WebEx to accept the appointment.

5/24/24

Just over a year since she was charged with the first-degree aggravated murder of her husband, Eric, Kouri Richins said the world has yet to hear the “real facts of the case.” In a recorded message sent to ABC News, Richins said speaking out for the first time is terrifying but needed.

“The media has twisted and turned what they think they know [into] what will sell or what will get the most views,” said Richins, continuing to say it was time for damage control.

[..]

Richins was recently appointed a new defense team after her previous team, led by Skye Lazaro, withdrew from the case due to an undisclosed “irreconcilable and nonwaivable situation.” State prosecutors, Richins and her new defense team are scheduled to meet again in person before Judge Richard Mrazik on Friday, June 21.

Second Amended Information dated 3/25/24, pgs 1-14, embedded in MSM news link.

ETA: Third Amended Information filed 5/13/24 with the following date revision to paragraph 7:

1716944480118.png

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nebbiolo