Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad I am not the only one who thought that was an odd comment. Even odder, to me, saying that a conversation she has with Mollie often is about when she was pregnant with Mollie and her brothers. I talk to my daughter daily - and that is something I don't think we have ever talked about. Just a little strange, IMO.
Too bad we don't know the context of the Mum's "pregnant" stories. For example, I've suffered with migraines ever since I can remember. To this day, my Mum is able to provide some comfort to me by telling me about the day I was born (all the while I'm flat on the cold tile floor in the darkest room I can find). And it's been repeated a thousand+ times! I imagine this "birth story" too could sound strange to most.

Last edited:
I read an article yesterday, I cannot remember the source, but I believe it was from AP?
Anyhow, they had a quote from the neighbor who said that LE told him Mollie made it back home from her jog that evening. LE won't confirm timelines in the press, but supposing she did make it home from her jog, I think it's possible she was abducted while walking to her mom's for dinner & to pick up the car that evening.

I don't want to be morbid, because I sincerely hope they find Mollie alive and well. But I keep going back to the Hannah Graham case, and how after they found her body, people in the area remembered seeing turkey vultures circling the location where she was found. These are things you don't really think about when you live in a rural area because there are always dead animals and rodents around which beckon the vultures, but hopefully people in the Brooklyn area are keeping their eyes peeled for this sort of thing as well.
Thanks, I've read that as well, which is why I'm going with the same scenario as you are, that she left the house again (possibly to go to her mother's house). You're right, it's morbid, but its the reality that people need to be aware of, and on the lookout for.

LE has confirmed precious few details re: MT's disappearance. My guess is they think it would compromise their investigation and they don't want to tip their hand to the perp, if she's been abducted. I know every case is unique, but I can't help comparing MT's case to that of Hannah Graham...IMO, LE in the HG case did a masterful job of getting the needed info out to the public quickly, releasing video they had, identifying the POI and asking for the public's help, etc., and as result, there was a quick arrest and a serial killer was taken off the streets before he could kill anybody else. Again, the circumstances here are very different, so I am not going to second-guess LE's strategy as they know a WHOLE lot more than we do and they're the experts. In the HG case they had video evidence that helped them...I'm wondering how much video LE has been able to gather of MT from cameras downtown that night. Anyway, the HG investigation was one of the most impressive examples of "policing" I have ever seen. Here's a link to that case timeline if you're interested:
Timeline: The search for Hannah Graham
I couldn’t agree more. And none of that ended up compromising the case. It was so strong that evil perp pleaded guilty.

Last edited:
Marion police say a woman who called to report seeing Mollie Tibbetts at a local Casey's General Store was mistaken.

The call to police came in around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday and reported that Tibbetts was seen at the gas station at 680 Lindale Drive. A nearby officer went to the store, watched the surveillance footage and determined that it was not Tibbetts.

"It’s my understanding that she was quite certain she had seen Mollie and called the police department," said Tom Daubs, public information officer for Marion police. "The officer arrived and found it was clearly not Mollie."

However, Daubs encourages the public to call 911 if they believe they see Tibbetts, even if they're not 100 percent sure.

"It was unfounded, but we still appreciate this good Samaritan at least reached out," Daubs said. "Heaven forbid that was really her."

A woman who believed she'd seen Mollie Tibbetts at an eastern Iowa Casey's was mistaken, police say

Thanks for sharing and sorry there has been no resolution.

I sometimes wonder if certain people have friends in high places that prevent things like a search warrant from being issued. It does sound real fishy and will pick a day in future to read up about that case.

I have relatives in Brooklyn so know the area well. Miss seeing the rings of Polish Kielbasa hanging from the ceilings of the local stores and being able to buy a hot Knish with mustard from a street vendor. :)
Yes, she was actually from a different state. I sometimes wonder if that made a difference. Maybe it made a difference in Mollie's case too, there's a big difference between CA and rural IA. Big difference between my home town and NYC. People's view of others can be skewed to what they are used to.

Mr. Tibbetts' reaction time/travel time/arrival in Brooklyn from CA, seems very quick.
This raises the question, was there something Mollie mentioned to him in that three hour call that was alarming to him, so that he was already scouting for flights even before he heard she was missing?
Didn't he also say "Mollie's life was a mess," in the PC?
I am thinking he meant she was "messy". The statement is kind of cut off in his sentence. He was just sharing she is a typical twenty-year-old. I may be wrong but I looked at this a while back so going off memory.

Too bad we don't know the context of the Mum's "pregnant" talk. For example, I've suffered with migraines ever since I can remember. To this day, my Mum is able to provide some comfort to me by telling me about the day I was born (all the while I'm flat on the cold tile floor in the darkest room I can find). I imagine this too could sound strange to most.

We don't even know if Mollie was getting along with her mother. Or her brothers, either. There is much that we don't know .
(Didn't Mr Tibbetts say, "Mollie's life was a mess," in the pc?)
Maybe something serious was happening, that M. could not share with her mother and brothers.
Maybe that's why she called her father, and talked for three hours.

Wouldn't she at least take her wallet with her driver's license along on her jog if that was her plan?

Her Dad made a comment about Mollie not being a very good driver. Her brother's morning text asked if she needed a ride, not if she needed the "car." Maybe she didn't actually need her license, because she was usually a passenger, and her brother did all of the driving? I guess that wouldn't make sense if her usual plan was to walk to Mom's in the evening and "get" the car? Then again, maybe she usually relied on any of the 3 other people who would normally be at the boyfriend's house?

There is so much that we can't speculate on publicly, but I will say that what Mollie's dad stated the other day felt like a very real possibility. I do hope that if Mollie was consoling someone and things spiralled after that person had their affections denied, that this person remembers why they sought advice and nurturing from Mollie in the first place. She seems like a gentle soul who would be there for anyone in need of some compassion and support. They need to show some mercy to her family and come forward. Equally, their family and friends owe the Tibbetts family this if they have suspicions.
At this point, I think Mollie is either being held somewhere, against her will, or she didn't make it out of the meeting mentioned above (be that a meet-up during the run, on the way to her mom's in the morning, or a casual drop-by at the house the night of the 18th), it could have been a spontaneous act of violence by someone who felt they had something irreplaceable to lose if their advances were ever revealed. Mollie (greatly injured or deceased) may have been moved later on that night if the crime happened before sundown & not so far off of the beaten path.
My heart is so heavy for Mollie's family. At first I thought of this as another young female jogger who was probably abducted or murdered by a stranger, we had a couple of those tragedies here that we all wracked our brains over, and it still could be the case. But there area few tangents of this investigation that make it seem like that isn't necessarily what happened. I remember how not having closure was destroying Karina Vetrano's father. Again, If someone knows something it is my hope that they will find the empathy inside of themselves necessary to come forward.

I'm on the fence with WC, but I don't buy that. Nobody is going to be interrogated by the FBI for two hours and not remember SOMETHING. They talked to him for 5-10 minutes and he remembered that they asked him to take a polygraph (which he refused) so... Yeah, NO.

He was probably advised not discuss details of the two hour interview. The details of the questions from the two hour interview might tip someone else as to what the police have or don't have, or what they are looking for. Good for him that he didn't divulge anything from the more detailed interview.

I think Mollie's mom was just expressing that she expected to have a very long time with Mollie - watch her grow up, have a family of her own. When I went through typical teenage down times my parents always reminded me that the situation was temporary and one day I would have a career, get married, have my own children, live wherever I want. That life always seems important in the moment but each stage is temporary and if you don't love having to get up for 8am math classes, remember there's a lot to look forward to, etc.

I hate to seem like I am harping on the search warrants, but bear with me. A classmate of mine went missing in 1996, and her family and friends knew for a fact the last person she saw was her BF, he admitted he was the last one to see her, he had motive to make her disappear, and she has never been found. Yet even with credible information the police were denied a search warrant, and never even took the guy in for questioning! She remains missing. I always think if they would have just granted a search warrant, she might not still be missing. Her case is on this site, and I can provide a link if it's allowed.
In this case, they got a search warrant for a place they didn't really need one, and didn't get one for a place they really should have. It would be really horrible if 20 years were to pass and one little "should have" could have made a difference.
If he offered them to look around and it was early in the case, I would have. They were on-site quickly there before it was really clear what the case was going to be. He reported he gave his phone and talked without actions needed.

Too bad we don't know the context of the Mum's "pregnant" talk. For example, I've suffered with migraines ever since I can remember. To this day, my Mum is able to provide some comfort to me by telling me about the day I was born (all the while I'm flat on the cold tile floor in the darkest room I can find). And it's been repeated a thousand+ times! I imagine this too could sound strange to most.

That is super sweet. <3

Marion police say a woman who called to report seeing Mollie Tibbetts at a local Casey's General Store was mistaken.

The call to police came in around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday and reported that Tibbetts was seen at the gas station at 680 Lindale Drive. A nearby officer went to the store, watched the surveillance footage and determined that it was not Tibbetts.

"It’s my understanding that she was quite certain she had seen Mollie and called the police department," said Tom Daubs, public information officer for Marion police. "The officer arrived and found it was clearly not Mollie."

However, Daubs encourages the public to call 911 if they believe they see Tibbetts, even if they're not 100 percent sure.

"It was unfounded, but we still appreciate this good Samaritan at least reached out," Daubs said. "Heaven forbid that was really her."

A woman who believed she'd seen Mollie Tibbetts at an eastern Iowa Casey's was mistaken, police say
“A nearby officer went to the store, watched the surveillance footage and determined that it was not Tibbetts.”

That’s how they’re characterizing the response? Good lord, this whole area went completely bonkers. I learned today that a potential Mollie sighting will draw a swift and sizable LE response - “a nearby officer” is not a complete and accurate statement.

I noticed that too. Maybe it's just her way of coping.
But then again it could have been a slip of the tongue and she knows Mollie left with someone, maybe not expecting how it ended up at this point, but left with someone.
Or maybe the slip was intentional, for the perp to hear. kwim?

Technically - MT did 'leave/left' - question is wether it was willingly or not?

bbm

I read an article yesterday, I cannot remember the source, but I believe it was from AP?
Anyhow, they had a quote from the neighbor who said that LE told him Mollie made it back home from her jog that evening. LE won't confirm timelines in the press, but supposing she did make it home from her jog, I think it's possible she was abducted while walking to her mom's for dinner & to pick up the car that evening.

I don't want to be morbid, because I sincerely hope they find Mollie alive and well. But I keep going back to the Hannah Graham case, and how after they found her body, people in the area remembered seeing turkey vultures circling the location where she was found. These are things you don't really think about when you live in a rural area because there are always dead animals and rodents around which beckon the vultures, but hopefully people in the Brooklyn area are keeping their eyes peeled for this sort of thing as well.

[
Thanks, I've read that as well, which is why I'm going with the same scenario as you are, that she left the house again (possibly to go to her mother's house). You're right, it's morbid, but its the reality that people need to be aware of, and on the lookout for.

Note that LE says things to interviewees to see if their demeanor changes or they say something inconsistent with previous responses and comments.

I know other moms who do that so I don’t think it’s all that odd.
Hard to say. I know someone who lost a young daughter. I remember her telling me that she didn’t just mourn her. She will be mourning every part of the future she never had...college graduation, wedding, grandkids. I’m sure a part of LC being scared of is thinking of everything she will also be missing in the future.

Too bad we don't know the context of the Mum's "pregnant" talk. For example, I've suffered with migraines ever since I can remember. To this day, my Mum is able to provide some comfort to me by telling me about the day I was born (all the while I'm flat on the cold tile floor in the darkest room I can find). And it's been repeated a thousand+ times! I imagine this too could sound strange to most.

No, not strange at all. My family has migraine sufferers as well. Darn things will really wipe you out. When I had them, I had to sleep them off for several hours.

Glad you have Mum to help you through these!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member