4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #83

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO this prosecution is not acting like they have "the goods" against BK. I believe that the Grand Jury route was chosen because the prosecution was having difficulty with the preliminary hearing hurdle. MOO
And, I don't believe the Defense is stalling.
JMO/MOO
I wonder the same. I just have a niggling feeling that there is some bigger situation connected to this case than we know. I'm generally quite logical and not at all into conspiracies, but I can't help feeling that in a case without missing people, victims with no known enemies, and a defendant that is known to be odd, but not violent, that there is something else, maybe even an adjacent crime that is connected.

Why not just wait for the preliminary hearing? Why not just hand over everything to the defense? As a layperson, I may be over simplifying it, but if you are as confident in the prosecution as many online people seem to think the team should be, why hold back what you have with the defense team?

As for the defense stalling, I also agree that they are not stalling. In fact, I find that a ridiculous notion. Stalling for what? This crime happened in a small, college town. No one there is soon going to forget about what happened, especially considering the prime location where the crime occurred.
the good ol' "Ill just admit to a lesser crime so it sounds more legit" alibi. and then when LE asks for proof of that lesser crime suspects can rarely ever provide it.

will go down just as well as other pseudo unprovable alibis like "i went for a walk but no one saw me" or "i was asleep in my house" or "i don't remember"

our death row and prisons are filled with people (in denial) who used those alibis in the face of overwhelming evidence.

MOO
I agree that many "alibis" are likely more wishful thinking and creative story-telling than an actual alibi. That being said, IMO, I don't (yet) find BK's/AT's assertion that he has an alibi to be part of the "good ol'" tactic.

I would not be shocked if it turns out that BK was involved in a lesser crime, not because I have info supporting that, but because it would explain his lack of public alibi at this point. If you think you can get out of a murder charge without admitting to whatever you were doing/involved in, why confess to anything?

Added: If BK KNOWS there is exculpatory information, he probably planted it. MOO

"The Idaho Supreme Court overturned an initial conviction and allowed a new jury trial, citing perjury by a prosecution witness and prosecutorial misconduct. The previous trial was in 2006." Ellington 2nd trial resulted in guilty verdict.

SFF

Ooo, I never thought of this (BBM). Very interesting possibility. Maybe something more to do with the sheath? Many have thought he might have left it intentionally. MOO

I think this is typical legal wrangling by the Defense to stall and poke holes in the State's evidence as much as possible. The State was prepared for this to happen.

I don't believe it will take years to come to trial, but I doubt it will be taking place in early October as originally suggested.

Justice is coming for Kaylee, Maddie, Ethan and Xana.

MOO
Hopefully!

But are people willing to accept that it may come in the form of the incarceration of someone other than Bryan Kohberger? Too often, when the likely culprit is not a family member/close friend, and there is community pressure LE and Prosecutors hone in on a good or good enough suspect and don't look elsewhere.

They may be right with this one, but I can't (maybe won't is a better word), hang my hat on it being or only being BK until I know more. Our system is about as good as it gets without multiple, reliable eye witnesses, but it isn't without challenges - as the number of people proven to have been wrongly convicted shows.

IMO the defense is not stalling, but even if I am wrong about that, IMO when it comes to criminal convictions, it is always better to be correct than quick.

Wow.

Statement In the Argument:

Mr. Kohberger knows that exculpatory evidence exists.

Conclusion:

Mr. Kohberger is entitled to review all grand jury proceedings as set forth in his original “Motion to Make Available the Record of All Proceedings of the Grand Jury Pursuant to I.C.R. 6.2” filed May l9, 2023. Although good cause is not required, it exists because grandjury was empaneled after months of intense media coverage in small community, exculpatory evidence exists, and there may be single error or cumulative errors which require the examination of the entire grand jury record. He does not object to the records being sealed as clarified earlier. He agrees with the State that grand juror notes should be included in the records provided. Should the Court release only partial records or transcripts, Mr. Kohberger requests stay of all proceedings pursuant to ldaho Code §2-213 until such time as he is able to review, request additional records, provide sworn statement of reasons, and file I.C.R. 48 motion to dismiss.

Idaho Criminal Rule 48. Dismissal by the Court

(a) Dismissal on Motion and Notice. The court, on notice to all parties, may dismiss a criminal action on its own motion or on motion of any party on either of the following grounds:

(1) for unnecessary delay in presenting the charge to the grand jury or if an information is not filed within the time period prescribed by Rule 7(f), or for unnecessary delay in bringing the defendant to trial, or

(2) for any other reason if the court concludes that dismissal will serve the ends of justice and the effective administration of the court's business
"Wow" was my initial reaction too. My first thought was how does he "know" it exists? Interesting choice of words.

JMO, the Conclusion paragraph seem to be less known but more of a speculation that errors must have been made by the grand jury. And, by gosh, BK is going to analyze those GJ records until he finds something. IMO, the wording in the Conclusion is more focused on blaming the GJ than proof of his innocence. IF he actually did the crime, maybe he sees errors by the GJ and/or prosecution as the only way he is going to be exonerated (once again, MOO and speculation).

I would not be shocked if it turns out that BK was involved in a lesser crime, not because I have info supporting that, but because it would explain his lack of public alibi at this point. If you think you can get out of a murder charge without admitting to whatever you were doing/involved in, why confess to anything?

Snipped by me for focus

Well, in response to this question, I should say because there are about 50,000 crimes I'd rather take the rap for than quadruple homicide of young people but hey that's just me. If I thought my alibi of 'in fact I was breaking and entering the liquor store and I think you'll find they were burgled that night and I'm on their store CCTV' would be useful, I'd use it.

Reviewing tactics, in layman's terms: IANAL
1. Prosecution applies GJ to indict. (3) effects: nothing transpired in open court, so minimal media exposure of the indictment process: consistent with the intent of the gag order. Defense has not much to contest in that regard: both sides support gag order. BUT: Defense has no means to examine witnesses or evidence or to challenge proceedings and was not present to hear any interpretations or spoken implications of the evidence as the prosecution presented it to the GJ. No immediate transcript from GJ and record of any deliberations can be isolated and never forwarded.
2. Defense stands silent to request for plea. This generated rounds of implicatory and speculative journalism and BS from the talking heads but defense maintained the right to challenge the GJ proceedings...To do that realistically they need at least the transcript from the GJ session.
3. Prosecution moves to expedite defense discovery including any alibi evidence. Defense sifts through mountain of prosecution discovery for anything exculpatory or exonerating while at the same time demanding more discovery data from Prosecution.
4. Opportunistic counsel for the MSM coalition employs that situation to imply that the Media would be better able to present the proceedings if the gag order were lifted because the parties would be permitted to explain things like "standing silent" to the public. This more BS: the MSM has law professors happy to espouse on camera on the reasons and potential effects for such things although they can only speculate on the specific tactics of P or D. So the MSM coalition expected the lawyers to stand in the hallways of the courthouse and disclose trial tactics if the gag order was lifted? (Sarcasm...)
5. Defense does not get transcript from GJ proceddings (yet)... Prosecution lagged in producing the transcript (why?) and a hearing has been scheduled 6-weeks after the GJ session to in effect establish when that document will be delivered. Defense indicates they will not respond to alibi motion on time because they do not have GJ transcript and this last motion from AT in effect precludes the forwarding of any Defense discovery because if the GJ proceeding were set aside due to prejudices of the members, the trial schedule would be totally derailed and the outcome might be, the prosecution will have to revert to a Preliminary Hearing to lend integrity to the indictment. More schedule problems...
6. Meantime: All evidence deliveries have been from the Prosecution to the Defense. IIIRC nothing evidentiary has been delivered D to P.

From above: a whole lot of it is time and effort dependent and the sequencing and logistics to making deliveries in a timely fashion. The Prosecution if looking to the State for additional funds because how could they budget for this exercise, especially against AT and her group: high horsepower, in the advocate sense. And it appears to be convenient for the Defense to act like the trial date can be maintained in spite of all these obstructions to maintaining a schedule on the deliverables pre-trial.

MOO: Its tit for tat escalation with all the proclivities and adversarialism played out in formal language and comfortable environments (except for BK..). Its like a bunch of little kids on the playground...If you take my ball, I'm going to tell my Mom. If you tell your Mom, I'm going to throw your bicycle in the river. If you throw my bicycle in the river....

Trial to begin October 2? There were odds offered on that about 3-weeks ago. They have gotten better, since.

Is it possible BK, if guilty, was extremely high and flying on some form of illegal substance that could be known for giving mighty strength and fearlessness when under the influence? I have heard accounts of people being seen to perform inexplicable superhuman feats of violence when taking stuff like methamphetamine. Is this type of thinking even in the equation?

What drug screening aside from a regular prison admission pee test would BK have been subjected to? Hair strand or fat tissue or analysis? Or none?

That is a fascinating thought. I cannot speculate on what would be provable 6 weeks later if it's not in your system at the time. Unfortunately, drug use doesn't link you to a crime (although they can be linkable). It does bring up the obvious speculation, was he using is there any evidence of that? His behavior certainly changed per students. I can imagine you would be much more apt to admit to that and drug seeking vs. four heinous murders. It would not be uncommon to fall off your wagon when you relocate, endure stresses associated with education/new socialization patterns, or legitimately it was your intention to get away from the family who thinks you're off the stuff now.

What about, 'I went out to buy some form of illegal substance from a guy who is often hanging around 'x' location. I don't know his name or identity or anything about him but often if I drive around a while, he's stood on the street there dealing'?

Or, 'I went out kerb crawling for a street sex worker and then had a brief encounter on a side street'?

How do those sort of scenarios pan out? Obv none would explain any forensic evidence and the DNA on the sheath but in terms of quite why someone would be skulking around the streets driving around in the small hours they could pass maybe?
Interesting ideas, I'm sure any of that could work. But I think it's not so much about what his possible alibi might be (if he even ends up filing an alibi defense). The point for me (speculating specifically on the way an 'I was asleep at home at c.4.20am' alibi might conceivably play out) is that he needs corroboration/witnesses/footage of his vehicle or other if he claims he was at home asleeep prior to turning up in the vicinity of Blaine at approx ten minutes to five. If he has a drug dealer living at Blaine cemetery for eg, or somewhere else previously en route, lets hope they come forward to clear him, because without other corroborating evidence he might run into some difficulties Moo

Reviewing tactics, in layman's terms: IANAL
1. Prosecution applies GJ to indict. (3) effects: nothing transpired in open court, so minimal media exposure of the indictment process: consistent with the intent of the gag order. Defense has not much to contest in that regard: both sides support gag order. BUT: Defense has no means to examine witnesses or evidence or to challenge proceedings and was not present to hear any interpretations or spoken implications of the evidence as the prosecution presented it to the GJ. No immediate transcript from GJ and record of any deliberations can be isolated and never forwarded.
2. Defense stands silent to request for plea. This generated rounds of implicatory and speculative journalism and BS from the talking heads but defense maintained the right to challenge the GJ proceedings...To do that realistically they need at least the transcript from the GJ session.
3. Prosecution moves to expedite defense discovery including any alibi evidence. Defense sifts through mountain of prosecution discovery for anything exculpatory or exonerating while at the same time demanding more discovery data from Prosecution.
4. Opportunistic counsel for the MSM coalition employs that situation to imply that the Media would be better able to present the proceedings if the gag order were lifted because the parties would be permitted to explain things like "standing silent" to the public. This more BS: the MSM has law professors happy to espouse on camera on the reasons and potential effects for such things although they can only speculate on the specific tactics of P or D. So the MSM coalition expected the lawyers to stand in the hallways of the courthouse and disclose trial tactics if the gag order was lifted? (Sarcasm...)
5. Defense does not get transcript from GJ proceddings (yet)... Prosecution lagged in producing the transcript (why?) and a hearing has been scheduled 6-weeks after the GJ session to in effect establish when that document will be delivered. Defense indicates they will not respond to alibi motion on time because they do not have GJ transcript and this last motion from AT in effect precludes the forwarding of any Defense discovery because if the GJ proceeding were set aside due to prejudices of the members, the trial schedule would be totally derailed and the outcome might be, the prosecution will have to revert to a Preliminary Hearing to lend integrity to the indictment. More schedule problems...
6. Meantime: All evidence deliveries have been from the Prosecution to the Defense. IIIRC nothing evidentiary has been delivered D to P.

From above: a whole lot of it is time and effort dependent and the sequencing and logistics to making deliveries in a timely fashion. The Prosecution if looking to the State for additional funds because how could they budget for this exercise, especially against AT and her group: high horsepower, in the advocate sense. And it appears to be convenient for the Defense to act like the trial date can be maintained in spite of all these obstructions to maintaining a schedule on the deliverables pre-trial.

MOO: Its tit for tat escalation with all the proclivities and adversarialism played out in formal language and comfortable environments (except for BK..). Its like a bunch of little kids on the playground...If you take my ball, I'm going to tell my Mom. If you tell your Mom, I'm going to throw your bicycle in the river. If you throw my bicycle in the river....

Trial to begin October 2? There were odds offered on that about 3-weeks ago. They have gotten better, since.
Great summary! Appreciate your thoughts on potential tactics playing out.

The one thing that may be missing is that post arraignment, P sought stipulation with D in a very timely manner for conditions re the release of Grand Jury material. The two sides could not reach an agreemnet over some of the finer details, Imoo. I'm writing in a general way - have not studied the post May 22nd motions and responses in any detail. Point being it's not as if the P has ever point blank refused to agree to releasing the GJ material. The Court and the P both know and have recognised (the P in notices/ attempted negotiation of stipulation) that the the D is absolutely entitled to access to GJ materials. Moo.
(Idaho Judicial Cases of Interest for docs, apologies for bein unable to post the relevant links in detail).

Too often, when the likely culprit is not a family member/close friend, and there is community pressure LE and Prosecutors hone in on a good or good enough suspect and don't look elsewhere.

[Respectfully snipped for focus]
RBBM:Why would you think this applies in this case and on what basis do you think LE may have been lax in due diligence and not looked elsewhere during their investigations?

I think there is a fair amount of evidence to refute that speculation.

*Firstly the repeated statements of LE in numerous press conferences regarding their looking at all angles, these statements continued into December;
*Secondly, the huge number of resources available to MPD from the time of the crime going forward, Fbi, ISP and so forth;
*Thirdly, the vast number of warrants we do have semi-access to. The combing of SM accounts, the 20 redacted Tinder accounts investigated, the redacted names and purchasers of potential weopen, and other warrants we can only guess at.Moo
*Lastly,the dedicated tipline with scores of officers amd fbi investigating. Other procedures, leads and investigations we are not privy to at all -the interviews, the elimination of other vehicles, the background checks...

All MOO.

I would be surprised if they did win a dismissal.
I do not share the idea that "If he had a substantive alibi, he wouldn't be sitting in jail at this very moment."
There has been an unbelievably huge amount of pretrial publicity prior to seating the GJ. Thinking back to the D's two recent witnesses on the amount of media exposure and on bias and how any exposure to media can create bias, even subconsciuously. MOO
The D is privy to much more information than is out in the public realm. I believe that AT clearly stated what the D believes in her conclusion. MOO

From the Defendants reply: Conclusion

A grand jury was empaneled at time when the small community of Moscow, Idaho had been exposed to months of intense local, national, and international media coverage. Because the State has provided extensive discovery, Mr. Kohberger knows that exculpatory evidence exists. Whether fair and impartial panel of grand jurors was assembled amidst intense media coverage is significant question the Defense must evaluate. See I.C.R.6.7 and l.C 19-1003 and State v. Roberts, 188 P. 895, 897 (1920.) Whether inadmissible or exculpatory evidence was presented to the grand jury is significant question the defense must evaluate. See l.C.R. 6.2(a), 6.6 and l.C. §19-1107. And, while there are many other legal arguments Mr. Kohberger may pursue related to the grand jury proceedings, how the grand jury was selected and what evidence was presented, illustrate good cause for the Defense’s need for all materials set forth in its motion.

Re: IF the exculpatory evidence is substantial and it was not presented to the GJ.

Dept of Justice:

9-11.233 - PRESENTATION OF EXCULPATORY EVIDENCE​

In United States v. Williams, 112 S.Ct. 1735 (1992), the Supreme Court held that the Federal courts' supervisory powers over the grand jury did not include the power to make a rule allowing the dismissal of an otherwise valid indictment where the prosecutor failed to introduce substantial exculpatory evidence to a grand jury. It is the policy of the Department of Justice, however, that when a prosecutor conducting a grand jury inquiry is personally aware of substantial evidence that directly negates the guilt of a subject of the investigation, the prosecutor must present or otherwise disclose such evidence to the grand jury before seeking an indictment against such a person. While a failure to follow the Department's policy should not result in dismissal of an indictment, appellate courts may refer violations of the policy to the Office of Professional Responsibility for review.

Even if there is substantial exculpatory evidence that was not presented to the GJ and that discovery fails to result in a dismissal, it will still make the public aware (eventually) of how the case against BK has been handled. MOO

TImeline of events regarding Indictment to request of GJ proceedings
From the motion to Stay:

PROCEDURAL BACKGROUND Mr. Kohberger was indicted by grand jury on May l6, 2023. He filed “Motion to Make Available the Record of all Proceedings of the Grand Jury Pursuant to l.CR. 6.2” and MOTION TO STAY PROCEEDINGS Page STATE OF IDAHO Plaintiff, V. BRYAN C. KOHBERGER, Defendant. “Motion Requesting Release of Grand Jury Materials under Qualified Protective Order” on May l9, 2023. The State then filed their “State’s Response to Defendant’s Motions Regarding Grand Jury Record and Transcript” and proposed order on May 30, 2023. The parties are not able to reach agreement regarding the release of grand jury materials. [n further opposition of Mr. Kohberger’s motion for the preparation of grand jury records, on June 6, 2023, the State filed their “State’s Supplemental Response to Defendant’s Motions Regarding Grand Jury Record and Transcript”. hearing is scheduled for June 26, 2023, to argue this contested matter. Mr. Kohberger stood silent at his initial arraignment to preserve his right to contest the indictment. He also asserted his right to speedy trial pursuant to the United States and Idaho Constitutions. Jury trial is scheduled to begin October 2, 2023. Time is of the essence.

ARGUMENT By the time this Court hears argument on the preparation of the grand jury proceedings, almost six weeks will have passed from the time of the indictment. Preparation of the grand jury record will then take additional time. Mr. Kohberger has the right and intends to contest the indictment. ldaho Code 2-213 (l) allows the defense to seek stay of proceedings: [w]ithin seven (7) days afier the moving party discovers or by the exercise of diligence could have discovered the grounds therefor, and in any event before the trial jury is sworn to try the case, party may move to stay the proceedings, and in criminal case to quash the indictment, or for other appropriate relief, on the ground of substantial failure to comply with this chapter in selecting the grand or trial jury. Mr. Kohberger seeks to stay the proceedings as appropriate relief while the matter of the grand jury record is argued and prepared. He is exercising due diligence to discover the grounds upon which to file motion to dismiss related to how the grand jury was selected.‘ He is being delayed through no fault of his own.

Wondering if the Delay in getting the GJ transcript is considered to violate the Fifth/Fourteenth and Sixth Amendments? MOO

The wait for the hearing on the Motion to Compel is a long time too IMO. Motion to Compel was filed 5/4 and the hearing is set for 6/27.

IMO this prosecution is not acting like they have "the goods" against BK. I believe that the Grand Jury route was chosen because the prosecution was having difficulty with the preliminary hearing hurdle. MOO
And, I don't believe the Defense is stalling.
JMO/MOO
MOO they went with GJ after the subpeona for the out of state survivor.

Last edited:
I don't read a lot into all these motions. Basically, the defense is making all necessary motions to set up an appropriate appeal if BK is convicted.

I also don't believe for a minute that the brilliant mastermind former PhD candidate is calling the shots and pushing around an experienced accomplished defense attorney.

I doubt a serious alibi will be released. Even if innocent, single people living alone rarely have alibis for anything that happens at 3-4 AM. I suspect the defense is looking for evidence that BK's car, or a very similar car, has been spotted somewhere other than the crime scene at the time of the crime. To make such an allegation, the defense needs to pin down the exact time of death as presented to the grand jury and then search through many hours of video for evidence.

MOO they went with GJ after the subpeona for the out of state survivor.

If that's the case, then why? The defense is still going to talk to the survivor. It was initially for the hearing, but they changed it to a private interview in NV and as far as we know, that hasn't been changed/canceled. So the defense still gets to talk to the survivor prior to trial (as it stands now, as far as we know). So IF -- and that's a big IF -- the state formed a GJ for the indictment because the defense wanted to talk to the survivor, then that makes me curious about what they're concerned BF will say that might negatively affect chances for an indictment without going through a GJ.

IOW, what about BF talking to the defense was the motivation if that really is the reason for the GJ?

MOO

If that's the case, then why? The defense is still going to talk to the survivor. It was initially for the hearing, but they changed it to a private interview in NV and as far as we know, that hasn't been changed/canceled. So the defense still gets to talk to the survivor prior to trial (as it stands now, as far as we know). So IF -- and that's a big IF -- the state formed a GJ for the indictment because the defense wanted to talk to the survivor, then that makes me curious about what they're concerned BF will say that might negatively affect chances for an indictment without going through a GJ.

IOW, what about BF talking to the defense was the motivation if that really is the reason for the GJ?

MOO
This is something that has bothered me since the GJ indictment was announced. That happened 2 weeks after BF agreed to meet in NV. How likely is it that the defense had time to go to NV before then? How long is the process to take something to the GJ?

Toxicology done on hair will reveal longer term drug use. Same type of analysis can be done for most drugs.

I do not know if such a panel was done on BK's hair, of course, and courts have generally ruled that taking a biological sample (swab or hair) is not a violation of a defendant's rights. Of course, the defense can argue strenuously against such evidence being admissible.

We have no clue whether that was done. It seems to be rarely done, so I'm not optimistic.

IMO.

What about, 'I went out to buy some form of illegal substance from a guy who is often hanging around 'x' location. I don't know his name or identity or anything about him but often if I drive around a while, he's stood on the street there dealing'?

Or, 'I went out kerb crawling for a street sex worker and then had a brief encounter on a side street'?

How do those sort of scenarios pan out? Obv none would explain any forensic evidence and the DNA on the sheath but in terms of quite why someone would be skulking around the streets driving around in the small hours they could pass maybe?

Those are interesting. I do wonder how they'd establish and bring in such evidence/facts at trial. Sounds to me as if the only way to establish these alibis (short of knowing who the sex worker or drug dealer in Moscow might have been) would be to put BK on the stand.

The jury, being local, is going to have its views on how probable it would be to be in the neighborhood of 1122 King Rd for sex work or drugs.

Without the actual persons being examined under oath (sex worker; drug dealer), this would be a very weak alibi. The defendant would have admitted to being in Moscow at or around the time of the killings, would not explain the sheath or the parking near 1122 King nor the turning off of the phone. The sex worker or drug dealer would need to be highly credible about the time, etc.

IMO.

Snipped by me for focus

Well, in response to this question, I should say because there are about 50,000 crimes I'd rather take the rap for than quadruple homicide of young people but hey that's just me. If I thought my alibi of 'in fact I was breaking and entering the liquor store and I think you'll find they were burgled that night and I'm on their store CCTV' would be useful, I'd use it.
Quoting Myself for context: "If you think you can get out of a murder charge without admitting to whatever you were doing/involved in, why confess to anything?"

I may not have explained that well enough.

If BK (or anyone else) and his attorneys can have the murder charges dropped without the need to confess to another crime, it makes sense for them to try that avenue before choosing to confess to that other crime.

IN other words, if people presumably innocent of the serious charges they've been accused of can manage to have those charges dropped and get away with the lesser charges they would have to confess to establish an alibi, it makes sense for them, (not necessarily victims) to do so.

RBBM:Why would you think this applies in this case and on what basis do you think LE may have been lax in due diligence and not looked elsewhere during their investigations?

I think there is a fair amount of evidence to refute that speculation.

(snipped for focus) *

All MOO.
U.N. Known said:
Too often, when the likely culprit is not a family member/close friend, and there is community pressure LE and Prosecutors hone in on a good or good enough suspect and don't look elsewhere.

[quoting myself]

I did not say that I think my words above apply to this case; I do not have enough information to reasonably posit that it does. My intent was to point out that it can and has happened that LE settles on a suspect without adequately clearing or looking for others. IMO, the fact that what many call tunnel vision happens at all is reason enough to be wary of declaring a suspect or defendant guilty without access to an abundance of facts from a case -- more than we have access to with this one.

I don't have a stake in BK's guilt or innocence. I just hope that for the sake of the community at large, if he is the person convicted, that he is in fact guilty.

I wonder the same. I just have a niggling feeling that there is some bigger situation connected to this case than we know. I'm generally quite logical and not at all into conspiracies, but I can't help feeling that in a case without missing people, victims with no known enemies, and a defendant that is known to be odd, but not violent, that there is something else, maybe even an adjacent crime that is connected.

Why not just wait for the preliminary hearing? Why not just hand over everything to the defense? As a layperson, I may be over simplifying it, but if you are as confident in the prosecution as many online people seem to think the team should be, why hold back what you have with the defense team?

As for the defense stalling, I also agree that they are not stalling. In fact, I find that a ridiculous notion. Stalling for what? This crime happened in a small, college town. No one there is soon going to forget about what happened, especially considering the prime location where the crime occurred.

I agree that many "alibis" are likely more wishful thinking and creative story-telling than an actual alibi. That being said, IMO, I don't (yet) find BK's/AT's assertion that he has an alibi to be part of the "good ol'" tactic.

He has a lack of alibi because he did it.

That's his car on the video. That's his cell phone on the towers. That's his DNA at the scene. He likely has no other reasonable explanation re: his whereabouts on that night that doesn't account for those things or that's provable.

It really is that simple.

I've seen 'wrong place, wrong time' theories (he was in the area for other illicit activities, giving someone a ride) floating around and IMO none of them make sense. And there is 0 evidence pointing to them. Which is really disconcerting because the folks proposing those theories based on 0 evidence will quickly dismiss actual prosecution evidence.

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads