DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Mysteries1974

Martha Jean Lambert - Missing since 1985
Reaction score
MINNESOTA
1928 – Eva Lemmon – St. Paul

Eva Lemmon came to St.Paul ,Minn. with her daughter and her three grandchildren, in 1924. They were born in St. Joseph, Missouri. Eva was reported missing on October 8,1928 and never found. There was some rumor about her being thrown off of the Robert Street Bridge, or being drowned in one of the lakes. Eva may go by the names Eva Shelton, Lottie Ray, or Eva Ridenbaugh.

Source information:

WhereaboutsStillUnknown

Okay, am doing some digging in historical documents- here's what I've put together

Eva was born Eva Ridenbaugh around 1880, the only child of Cora Ridenbaugh. The women of the family were very close; I have Eva growing up in a house with her mother and grandmother (after whom she was named), as well as a few family members. In the 1900 census, her daughter Viola , her mother Cora, and her grandmother Eva are all living together; I cannot find our Eva in that one.

Eva was married three times; to Frank Anton Nadler (the father of Viola). This marriage seems to have happened when she was only 16, and was over by the time she was in her 20s. She then married Shelton, who she divorced, and finally Lemmon. Hence the various names.

Cora died Aug 16, 1910. Her death certificate is at this link: https://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/deathcerts/1910/1910_00023077.PDF

Honestly? She was a divorced mixed race woman in the late 1920s with no immediate family except for her also-divorced daughter. I doubt the police put in any real effort.

Okay, am doing some digging in historical documents- here's what I've put together

Eva was born Eva Ridenbaugh around 1880, the only child of Cora Ridenbaugh. The women of the family were very close; I have Eva growing up in a house with her mother and grandmother (after whom she was named), as well as a few family members. In the 1900 census, her daughter Viola , her mother Cora, and her grandmother Eva are all living together; I cannot find our Eva in that one.

Eva was married three times; to Frank Anton Nadler (the father of Viola). This marriage seems to have happened when she was only 16, and was over by the time she was in her 20s. She then married Shelton, who she divorced, and finally Lemmon. Hence the various names.

Cora died Aug 16, 1910. Her death certificate is at this link: https://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/deathcerts/1910/1910_00023077.PDF

Honestly? She was a divorced mixed race woman in the late 1920s with no immediate family except for her also-divorced daughter. I doubt the police put in any real effort.

[bbm]

how do you know she was mixed race?

Eva was born Eva Ridenbaugh around 1880, the only child of Cora Ridenbaugh. The women of the family were very close; I have Eva growing up in a house with her mother and grandmother (after whom she was named), as well as a few family members. In the 1900 census, her daughter Viola, her mother Cora, and her grandmother Eva are all living together; I cannot find our Eva in that one.

Eva was married three times; to Frank Anton Nadler (the father of Viola). This marriage seems to have happened when she was only 16 and was over by the time she was in her 20s. She then married Shelton, who she divorced, and finally, Lemmon. Hence the various names.

Cora died on Aug 16, 1910. Her death certificate is at this link: https://www.sos.mo.gov/images/archives/deathcerts/1910/1910_00023077.PDF

Honestly? She was a divorced, mixed-race woman in the late 1920s with no immediate family except for her also-divorced daughter. I doubt the police put in any real effort.

----

Hello, there is a misunderstanding on who is Cora Ridenbaugh. She was not Eva Ridenbaugh's bio-mother but a free slave of the Ridenbaughs given to Eva by the family to care for Viola. The family story is that Eva never married Mr. Nadler. The family out of disappointment gave Cora to Eva as she was Eva's companion when she was a little girl.

I know this because I am the granddaughter of Viola. The person who initially posted the inquiry and photos is my 1st cousin. Eva's Mother is Nellie Ridenbuagh, and they are all white. This information can be found on Ancestry.com. I have the original photos of Eva and a picture of Eva with Cora. The story was told to me and Barabara Jean that our Great grandmother went missing and was never found. Eva owned/ran a brothel and bootlegged. That she may have crossed path the Irish mafia or criminals and they killed her or she went West. Not sure it's only a rumor.

Yes, my father and his sibling's thought of Cora as a grandmother. However, it was because Viola's children were of mixed race. When the Ridenbaughs found of this they disassociated themselves from Eva and her daughter.

I appreciate your efforts; however, you need to know the story if you want to find out what happened to Eva.

Census records indicate race; she is listed as "mulatto" or "black" on all documents.

I understand what the Census records state but that is not the truth. I am the great-granddaughter of Eva. Cora was the freed slave of the family give to Eva to care for Viola.

MINNESOTA
1928 – Eva Lemmon – St. Paul

Eva Lemmon came to St.Paul, Minn. with her daughter and her three grandchildren, in 1924. They were born in St. Joseph, Missouri. Eva was reported missing on October 8, 1928 and never found. There was some rumor about her being thrown off of the Robert Street Bridge, or being drowned in one of the lakes. Eva may go by the names Eva Shelton, Lottie Ray, or Eva Ridenbaugh.

Source information:

WhereaboutsStillUnknown

Hello, there is a misunderstanding on who is Cora Ridenbaugh. She was not Eva Ridenbaugh's bio-mother but a free slave of the Ridenbaughs given to Eva by the family to care for Viola. The family story is that Eva never married Mr. Nadler. The family out of disappointment gave Cora to Eva as she was Eva's companion when she was a little girl.

I know this because I am the granddaughter of Viola. The person who initially posted the inquiry and photos is my 1st cousin. Eva's Mother is Nellie Ridenbuagh, and they are all white. This information can be found on Ancestry.com. I have the original photos of Eva and a picture of Eva with Cora. The story was told to me and Barabara Jean that our Great grandmother went missing and was never found. Eva owned/ran a brothel and bootlegged. That she may have crossed path the Irish mafia or criminals and they killed her or she went West. Not sure it's only a rumor.

Yes, my father and his sibling's thought of Cora as a grandmother. However, it was because Viola's children were of mixed race. When the Ridenbaughs found of this they disassociated themselves from Eva and her daughter.

I appreciate your efforts; however, you need to know the story if you want to find out what happened to Eva.

Bumping this thread up. Is it possible that Eva was a victim of the bootlegging (illegal liquor distribution) activity which was taking place at the time?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back