NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 Jun 2001 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still here and still interested in the case.

I try to avoid specific speculation out of respect to Jason's family, but I continue to believe from the standpoint of Occam's Razor that the explanation must be relatively straightforward. Whatever happened (whether it be homicide, freak accident, or self-harm) happened very quickly on the walk between the house and Benson High and involved a minimal number of people. For that reason, I can't put much stock in the Fazoli's theory because it assumes a number of planning steps.

I think (assuming this is homicide) the explanation is simply that Jason trusted the wrong person or stumbled across a small group of persons with nefarious intentions. Though I agree homicide is by the far the most likely explanation, I don't completely rule out the possibility of some bizarre accident that was never discovered. I know I'm in the minority view about that on Websleuths and that's fine. I have no ego in this; it's just something that I think deserves consideration as a theory.

Still here and still interested in the case.

I try to avoid specific speculation out of respect to Jason's family, but I continue to believe from the standpoint of Occam's Razor that the explanation must be relatively straightforward. Whatever happened (whether it be homicide, freak accident, or self-harm) happened very quickly on the walk between the house and Benson High and involved a minimal number of people. For that reason, I can't put much stock in the Fazoli's theory because it assumes a number of planning steps.

I think (assuming this is homicide) the explanation is simply that Jason trusted the wrong person or stumbled across a small group of persons with nefarious intentions. Though I agree homicide is by the far the most likely explanation, I don't completely rule out the possibility of some bizarre accident that was never discovered. I know I'm in the minority view about that on Websleuths and that's fine. I have no ego in this; it's just something that I think deserves consideration as a theory.

Oh for sure that freak accident is possible! As others have mentioned, there was construction being done at the time along one of the possible routes. I think it was realized that because Jason was so tall (6 ft or so) and the type of construction that it was unlikely? But I forget all the details regarding that, perhaps someone can refresh us, as I assume the search included any construction holes, etc. at the time. It is unfortunate there was a ten day gap from the time Jason was reported missing until the time LE starting looking for him. By the way, I just happened to see an American news channel asking for suggestions on which missing persons cases to cover, so I wrote and suggested Jason Jolkowski. For what it's worth, which probably isn't much unfortunately. Frustrating to the hilt!

This is a key point that has been made before but I think it needs reiterating. The walk from Jason's house to the high school was 15-20min if I recall? As there were no sightings of Jason that morning, it stands to reason that he did not get far before he vanished. Either he visited someone's house or got into a vehicle. There is a small window of opportunity for a crime, and only a limited group of people who knew about the change of plans.

Although I know some don't agree, I think the pieces line up when you accept Jason changed the rendezvous to make a detour. There is a change to Jason's schedule, whatever plans he already made needed to be changed. The family don't know anything about this, which would suggest something secretive. He asks to be picked up at the school to give himself time to notify the person he was meeting. My only snag here is how did this escalate to murder? Was this person so unstable that Jason standing him/her up triggered them? Perhaps they always intended to murder Jason that day and stuck to the plan.

Remember, this person has the advantage of nobody knowing about them. It doesn't appear Jason had any close friends to confide in, and his brother hasn't offered up any clues. If anyone had seen Jason visiting their house, it would've been game over, but this person had no idea that was going to happen, and a lot of unsolved disappearances rely on dumb luck (see Jennifer Kesse).

Jason was said to be taking long walks during the evening. It could've been for leisure, or it could've been to meet someone. One possible theory is that Jason & this other person agreed never to meet in the neighbourhood. When Jason arrives to say the meeting is off, the person is enraged at him coming to his home and decides it's time to end their little tryst permanently.

I don't know the statistics but I'm willing to bet that a large % of abductions are sexually/romantically motivated. If not drugs, why would Jason be meeting someone in private? Why would he be keeping a girlfriend a secret? I suspect he had been meeting an older male. I don't know if Jason was gay or not, but maybe he felt that his white bread, God-fearing, Nebraskan family wouldn't understand the relationship, platonic or otherwise.

The more I think about the "neighbor randomly luring him in and killing him" theory, the less I agree with it. I do not mean to sound sexist or close-minded, but grown men are just typically not victims of that kind of act- especially not in broad daylight in a residential area. When we hear of men disappearing or even being found murdered, there's usually the aspect of drugs or prostitution or some kind of at risk behavior. Even thinking about it from the perp's prespective, it just makes no sense to see a man who is walking down a street full of possible witnesses and decide that that would be the best time to quickly lure him in and murder him with zero prep time. Even if this were a grown woman I would still have some doubts. As for who he was seeing and why could be anyone's guess, but this was the age of chatrooms and instant messager, so I definitely could see Jason meeting someone online who lived locally. This could have even been someone who simply groomed Jason by talking sports with him until they one day made a move that was possibly rejected by Jason, thus leading to a murder. All speculation of course, but given the circumstances of that day, it just seems to be more than random.

The more I think about the "neighbor randomly luring him in and killing him" theory, the less I agree with it. I do not mean to sound sexist or close-minded, but grown men are just typically not victims of that kind of act- especially not in broad daylight in a residential area. When we hear of men disappearing or even being found murdered, there's usually the aspect of drugs or prostitution or some kind of at risk behavior. Even thinking about it from the perp's prespective, it just makes no sense to see a man who is walking down a street full of possible witnesses and decide that that would be the best time to quickly lure him in and murder him with zero prep time. Even if this were a grown woman I would still have some doubts. As for who he was seeing and why could be anyone's guess, but this was the age of chatrooms and instant messager, so I definitely could see Jason meeting someone online who lived locally. This could have even been someone who simply groomed Jason by talking sports with him until they one day made a move that was possibly rejected by Jason, thus leading to a murder. All speculation of course, but given the circumstances of that day, it just seems to be more than random.

Yes, I know you have followed this case in depth more than most of us and I do agree with you. I recall you wrote to the female who was going to meet JJ at the school, but she didn't write back, yet anyways. Sure wish we could have her perspective here though. I'm thinking the same as you at moment, that this is not random, i.e. a male (and yes, I rule out female) absconding with JJ from him simply walking along the sidewalk or driving by him in those EXACT fifteen minutes and offering a ride! As far as the online possible connection, I wonder if he had a computer at home or access to one at a library or such? That is a question I have as to if so, information could've been gleaned from it for clues? If not, the phone he had would be key, but I assume it was gone with him. Like others, I forget about this case for awhile, and then it comes back to the forefront here and causes more frustration lol.

This is a key point that has been made before but I think it needs reiterating. The walk from Jason's house to the high school was 15-20min if I recall? As there were no sightings of Jason that morning, it stands to reason that he did not get far before he vanished. Either he visited someone's house or got into a vehicle. There is a small window of opportunity for a crime, and only a limited group of people who knew about the change of plans.

Although I know some don't agree, I think the pieces line up when you accept Jason changed the rendezvous to make a detour. There is a change to Jason's schedule, whatever plans he already made needed to be changed. The family don't know anything about this, which would suggest something secretive. He asks to be picked up at the school to give himself time to notify the person he was meeting. My only snag here is how did this escalate to murder? Was this person so unstable that Jason standing him/her up triggered them? Perhaps they always intended to murder Jason that day and stuck to the plan.

Remember, this person has the advantage of nobody knowing about them. It doesn't appear Jason had any close friends to confide in, and his brother hasn't offered up any clues. If anyone had seen Jason visiting their house, it would've been game over, but this person had no idea that was going to happen, and a lot of unsolved disappearances rely on dumb luck (see Jennifer Kesse).

Jason was said to be taking long walks during the evening. It could've been for leisure, or it could've been to meet someone. One possible theory is that Jason & this other person agreed never to meet in the neighbourhood. When Jason arrives to say the meeting is off, the person is enraged at him coming to his home and decides it's time to end their little tryst permanently.

I don't know the statistics but I'm willing to bet that a large % of abductions are sexually/romantically motivated. If not drugs, why would Jason be meeting someone in private? Why would he be keeping a girlfriend a secret? I suspect he had been meeting an older male. I don't know if Jason was gay or not, but maybe he felt that his white bread, God-fearing, Nebraskan family wouldn't understand the relationship, platonic or otherwise.

This reasoning makes sense, re. the perp being a male. I do think the long walks could be a factor in all of this, re. meeting up with someone previously and it all taking a fatal turn if Jason had cancelled plans with this person on way to the school.

Yes, I know you have followed this case in depth more than most of us and I do agree with you. I recall you wrote to the female who was going to meet JJ at the school, but she didn't write back, yet anyways. Sure wish we could have her perspective here though. I'm thinking the same as you at moment, that this is not random, i.e. a male (and yes, I rule out female) absconding with JJ from him simply walking along the sidewalk or driving by him in those EXACT fifteen minutes and offering a ride! As far as the online possible connection, I wonder if he had a computer at home or access to one at a library or such? That is a question I have as to if so, information could've been gleaned from it for clues? If not, the phone he had would be key, but I assume it was gone with him. Like others, I forget about this case for awhile, and then it comes back to the forefront here and causes more frustration lol.
She could at least respond with something looks suspicious not answering even though I doubt she was involved but seriously is it a crime if she didn't have a small say in something? And it is most likely as most people agree that he probably took a detour due to the sudden schedule change and the random long walks he did before he went missing. Was his fone with him or was it left behind? couldn't the LE trace his fone whereabouts? surely they would have tracked him down back than. The LE did a horrendous job in this case so many basic things they couldn't even solve and look where we are 20 years later not even a single move to this case other than square one.

It sounds like Jason had his cell phone with him? But then again, I haven't found any articles stating his parents tried to call him on it, either (if someone does, please share). So this point is rather confusing. Does anyone have a news article stating for sure he had it with him or not? When I search for whether or not he had it on him, all I'm getting are articles stating there hasn't been any activity on it, which could mean he had it with him and hasn't used it, or he left it at home and it hasn't received any calls texts.
Also, I wasn't aware Kelly was unable to attend the 20th anniversary gathering last year, sadly. I was sorry to read that.
Event marks 20 years since Omahan Jason Jolkowski vanished without a trace

It sounds like Jason had his cell phone with him? But then again, I haven't found any articles stating his parents tried to call him on it, either (if someone does, please share). So this point is rather confusing. Does anyone have a news article stating for sure he had it with him or not? When I search for whether or not he had it on him, all I'm getting are articles stating there hasn't been any activity on it, which could mean he had it with him and hasn't used it, or he left it at home and it hasn't received any calls texts.
Also, I wasn't aware Kelly was unable to attend the 20th anniversary gathering last year, sadly. I was sorry to read that.
Event marks 20 years since Omahan Jason Jolkowski vanished without a trace

I'm not sure re. the phone, but I thought I read at some point that he did have it with him, but back then phones weren't as sophisticated re. tracking, etc. as they are now unfortunately. If I find an article confirming this, I will let you know. I really am curious as to what his brother thinks happens to Jason.

I'm not sure re. the phone, but I thought I read at some point that he did have it with him, but back then phones weren't as sophisticated re. tracking, etc. as they are now unfortunately. If I find an article confirming this, I will let you know. I really am curious as to what his brother thinks happens to Jason.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever hearing from Jason's brother as to what happened that day. Of course, I understand he was too young to make a public statement when Jason disappeared. But after he became an adult, I've never heard a podcast or news broadcast, or read a news article, where where he was interviewed and gave his firsthand account of what happened that morning. What we know about what he experienced that morning is through his parents. So, has anyone come across an interview given by his brother, recounting the events? If you have, please post a link, I'd be interested in hearing/reading what he has to say.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever hearing from Jason's brother as to what happened that day. Of course, I understand he was too young to make a public statement when Jason disappeared. But after he became an adult, I've never heard a podcast or news broadcast, or read a news article, where where he was interviewed and gave his firsthand account of what happened that morning. What we know about what he experienced that morning is through his parents. So, has anyone come across an interview given by his brother, recounting the events? If you have, please post a link, I'd be interested in hearing/reading what he has to say.

Yes, it would be interesting for sure! All I have heard is that the younger brother kind of joked with the restaurant's boss when he phoned the home in search of Jason that day. The brother changed his voice or something and pretended to be Jason is what I read, which of course fell flat under the circumstances. Poor brother, just wasn't the best time for typical sibling goofing around.

I wish I could find a copy of the first website that Jason’s dad and uncle put up. First it was on a private COX cable account then later they bought a domain for it. I’ve looked on the wayback machine.

It looked gothic. Full of sacred hearts of Jesus and chamber music playing in the background. It was over the top Prevatican Catholic.

If Jason had a secret. It had to be kept secret in that house.

Later a more modern website would take its place. Kelly would take over the project. It was exhausting for her because she was obese. She started to get into shape and bike ride. They say Jason wouldn’t have recognized her.

I don’t know when she and Jim divorced, but she moved to Washington state. I don’t know if it was for work. She uses her maiden name today.

I wish I could find a copy of the first website that Jason’s dad and uncle put up. First it was on a private COX cable account then later they bought a domain for it. I’ve looked on the wayback machine.

It looked gothic. Full of sacred hearts of Jesus and chamber music playing in the background. It was over the top Prevatican Catholic.

Later a more modern website would take its place. Kelly would take over the project. It was exhausting for her because she was obese. She started to get into shape and bike ride. They say Jason wouldn’t have recognized her.

I don’t know when she and Jim divorced, but she moved to Washington state. I don’t know if it was for work. She uses her maiden name today.

Was the website something like missingjason.org? I stumbled upon that url, along with project Jason's, earlier today, searching for info about his cell phone. I clicked on both, but neither exist anymore. I got errors.

ETA: I found the site I clicked on: https://www.missingjason.com/

Okay, so I clicked on the Project Jason link I found in an article, and, instead of an error, I got a site, labeled as Project Jason, but it's not the same content. This is what the site says:

Hi, I am Kelly J. Murphy. I love to work with child organizations. That experience helped me understand child wishes, their products choice, behavior, etc. Based on my personal experience, this website will review various child products, which will benefit the parents to select the appropriate products for their children.

So, has the site has been repurposed to review children's products? Is this for real?
About Us

Yikes. If Jason is ever discovered to have run away that day, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it was to get away from the religion thing. We know he was supposedly looking into joining a seminary and spoke to one in St. Louis, but I wonder how much of that was really Jason's own choice. A priest is quite a different path than radio DJ.

Yikes. If Jason is ever discovered to have run away that day, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it was to get away from the religion thing. We know he was supposedly looking into joining a seminary and spoke to one in St. Louis, but I wonder how much of that was really Jason's own choice. A priest is quite a different path than radio DJ.

You bring up a good point. I wonder if he was feeling pressured to join the priesthood.

Okay, so I clicked on the Project Jason link I found in an article, and, instead of an error, I got a site, labeled as Project Jason, but it's not the same content. This is what the site says:

So, has the site has been repurposed to review children's products? Is this for real?
About Us
This is very strange.. Did you notice under the banner "Help Child to Make Perfectionist"? Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove