NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 Jun 2001 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
studebkr, As the former neighbour of JJ, it is interesting to continue to hear your perspective. I can't recall now if you talked with Jason much, or just his parents and can give us any more insight into their family. What do you think happened in this case, and did you ever get to talk to the parents after Jason went missing and get their take on things. Sorry if you have already told us all this, but doesn't hurt to refresh our memories and for those new to this case. It is the kind of case that comes and goes on websleuths, and is one of the more perplexing ones. As for the street repairs, sounds like there wasn't much chance at the time for Jason to simply have a mishap in that regard. Thanks for your input.

Here's a news video about the 20th anniversary of Jason's disappearance in which there's an interview with Chester Link. I believe he is the neighbor who saw him bring in the trash cans, but it states he is a former neighbor who may have been the last person to see Jason.

Thanks much, watched it with interest! It was good to actually see and hear the neighbours and relatives of Jason talk about him so warmly and get together for that anniversary. I hadn't realized a tree was planted with a plaque in his honour and that was nice to see also. I just hope that Jason's whereabouts can be solved, and that anyone who knows anything comes forward with that information, anonymously or not.

Last edited:
@Andreee
You're welcome. Until I went looking, I don't think I'd seen it before, only read about it, so it was interesting for me as well.
I'm still a little puzzled as to why his mother didn't attend, but that's on me.

His mom lives in Washington state. Maybe she just couldn’t make the trip.

What is the insinuation here, that there isn't a house there, therefore no neighbour or the neighbour couldn't have seen him take out out trash? I am confused by this statement...

Jason's house faced 48th Street, but there is no house across that street. His side yard faced Pinkney, and there is one neighbor there. That is also the street where the garage and trash cans are.

studebkr, As the former neighbour of JJ, it is interesting to continue to hear your perspective. I can't recall now if you talked with Jason much, or just his parents and can give us any more insight into their family. What do you think happened in this case, and did you ever get to talk to the parents after Jason went missing and get their take on things. Sorry if you have already told us all this, but doesn't hurt to refresh our memories and for those new to this case. It is the kind of case that comes and goes on websleuths, and is one of the more perplexing ones. As for the street repairs, sounds like there wasn't much chance at the time for Jason to simply have a mishap in that regard. Thanks for your input.

I probably got to know the parents more after the event than before. We would wave on walks. Jim and JJ pushed me out of a snow bank one time. My parents knew them from doing charity work at Saint Vincent DePaul. It was actually my mother that informed me of his disappearance.

I think everyone was so baffled by the lack of clues, that they assumed he ran away. I also worked with his Uncle at SITEL. I stopped by, maybe ten days after, and offered any help I could give. I probably talked with them more on that visit than any day before or since. Super nice people. I asked Jim once what he was going to do with Jason's car. He said he was keeping it for when he returned. I don't know if he still holds that optimist attitude or not. I've only chatted with him on FB since then. We have some mutual friends, we are not directly friends.

Another event has to happen before this is solved. A confession, discovery, 20 years is a long time for clues to fade, when there were not any in the first place. Somebody knows.

I watch these medium shows on Netflix and wonder what would happen if we got Tyler Henry there. I'm out of logical ideas.

I probably got to know the parents more after the event than before. We would wave on walks. Jim and JJ pushed me out of a snow bank one time. My parents knew them from doing charity work at Saint Vincent DePaul. It was actually my mother that informed me of his disappearance.

I think everyone was so baffled by the lack of clues, that they assumed he ran away. I also worked with his Uncle at SITEL. I stopped by, maybe ten days after, and offered any help I could give. I probably talked with them more on that visit than any day before or since. Super nice people. I asked Jim once what he was going to do with Jason's car. He said he was keeping it for when he returned. I don't know if he still holds that optimist attitude or not. I've only chatted with him on FB since then. We have some mutual friends, we are not directly friends.

Another event has to happen before this is solved. A confession, discovery, 20 years is a long time for clues to fade, when there were not any in the first place. Somebody knows.

I watch these medium shows on Netflix and wonder what would happen if we got Tyler Henry there. I'm out of logical ideas.

Thanks for your reply! I now remember some of what you had written here before, but it is good to get a reminder every now and then, further along the thread like this. I think you are right, another event has to happen before this is solved. There seems to be absolutely nothing to go on. It is so sad for the family and so perplexing!

I'm probably going to ask this wrong, so please forgive any confusion.
Do you think the lack of clues is due to a lack of clues overall, or a lack of info being shared by the OPD? I've often wondered if they know more but are keeping it close to the vest because it's an ongoing investigation.

Do you think the lack of clues is due to a lack of clues overall, or a lack of info being shared by the OPD? I've often wondered if they know more but are keeping it close to the vest because it's an ongoing investigation.
Pretty sure OPD has had zilch from their day one, which unfortunately was actually day ten. I still think a huge help could have been checking his computer sooner (provided they actually did at all). Something about a shy awkward teen with a limited social life just screams "online chatroom user". I really do wonder if this was maybe an instance of meeting stranger danger off the internet.

I was and am confused by the OPD response. I think they just thought he was a runaway, and failed to take it seriously soon enough. I was a backyard neighbor and neither I nor my son were ever interviewed. You might have a point. If they knew something, there would be no need to interview the neighbors...

I also find it odd that there are no classmates, friends, workmates, relatives, etc. involved on any of these cold case boards, Reddit, etc.

I also find it odd that there are no classmates, friends, workmates, relatives, etc. involved on any of these cold case boards, Reddit, etc.
It's strange that his "small handful of friends" never have spoken about him, attended memorial events, or joined discussion. Interestingly, in one of the articles I read it said that his friends told the Jolkowskis that they haven't heard from him in a couple months; the article was only 1 month after his disappearance. This leads me to believe that his friendship with these other kids was exaggerated. There have been a couple of classmates who have made comments online, but none who were very close to him. His childhood friend from before he moved to Omaha did speak about him and has made quite a few comments online. And then of course there's the girl who was supposed to pick him up that day who totally ignored me when I reached out to her.

Pretty sure OPD has had zilch from their day one, which unfortunately was actually day ten. I still think a huge help could have been checking his computer sooner (provided they actually did at all). Something about a shy awkward teen with a limited social life just screams "online chatroom user". I really do wonder if this was maybe an instance of meeting stranger danger off the internet.

His mother also said he was playing video games the night before he disappeared. Could he have been talking to other players online? Was that a thing back in 2001? I can't remember because I'm not a gamer.

Yes, that makes sense re. the computer. I hadn't realized Jason had his own computer and I wonder if it was looked at by LE, as you mention. I wonder if his parents had a good look too. I agree, I don't think the OPD has any information to hold back!

It's strange that his "small handful of friends" never have spoken about him, attended memorial events, or joined discussion. Interestingly, in one of the articles I read it said that his friends told the Jolkowskis that they haven't heard from him in a couple months; the article was only 1 month after his disappearance. This leads me to believe that his friendship with these other kids was exaggerated. There have been a couple of classmates who have made comments online, but none who were very close to him. His childhood friend from before he moved to Omaha did speak about him and has made quite a few comments online. And then of course there's the girl who was supposed to pick him up that day who totally ignored me when I reached out to her.

I so wish that that girl who picked him up had responded to your message! I think it would be interesting (to say the least!) to hear from her on this board. Yes, I too saw the comments by his childhood friend on a forum and from the little we've heard in general, it sounds like he was well liked. I still am unclear as to if he had a cell phone and if it was with him.

I was and am confused by the OPD response. I think they just thought he was a runaway, and failed to take it seriously soon enough. I was a backyard neighbor and neither I nor my son were ever interviewed. You might have a point. If they knew something, there would be no need to interview the neighbors...

There are former classmates/friends who have posted on Reddit. All have good things to say about Jason. One college classmate described him as painfully shy in person, he had difficulty conversing and making eye contact. I believe this person also said law enforcement interviewed Jason’s classmates from his time in college.
I have never seen anyone claiming to be from Fazoli’s post anywhere.

I just went reading the majority of this thread and have a few random comments over stuff.

1)i realize the youtube comment (re gang) is likely a troll, but seems a bit coincidental that girl knew a gang or someone in a gang. If there was truth to it and it’s the same girl, i’d wonder if she talked to the bf between calling and going to pick him up. The whole “she doesn’t know” comment would explain being cleared.
But again, i realize it’s accepted as troll and does read like one too.

2)It’s strange the restaurant never tried to help find him that we know of. Even though the staff were friendly, maybe the higher ups were toxic to work with? i used to work at a place like that. They seemed nice but were toxic and were able to manipulate its workers into not contacting former workers etc. So maybe that’s the reason here?

3)As far as internet chats, which was also discussed… I remember that places like Aol messenger did infact keep logs on a persons computer unless opted out. Or perhaps you had to opt in. Either way, it was possible for chats to be saved over messengers. I would hope the police or his parents searched his computer at the very least? Unless neither didn’t know how to search beyond surface level stuff.

I don’t remember really being able to find local “strangers” people online in 2001. There were websites and public local chats but if i remember correctly they usually had you choose the nearest city. Sites now let you chose your town,etc. So, it seems like it would be difficult to find someone you didn’t know that close by? Maybe i’m wrong

If by some miracle he is still alive out there, i imagine it’s possible be much heavier now(like his brother is and mom was). So unless you pay attention you might not know it’s him(though his family might). Sadly, like everyone else, it doesn’t seem likely.

Not sure if this CNN article from 2009 has been posted here before, but it doesn't hurt to post it again now. It mentions some details about things I had been wondering about, particularly that Jason apparently had his cellphone with him, and that he had not used it. Also, I had wondered about his computer, and it does mention Jason's computer had been looked at as well.Missing teen's parents help other families cope - CNN.com

Not sure if this CNN article from 2009 has been posted here before, but it doesn't hurt to post it again now. It mentions some details about things I had been wondering about, particularly that Jason apparently had his cellphone with him, and that he had not used it. Also, I had wondered about his computer, and it does mention Jason's computer had been looked at as well.Missing teen's parents help other families cope - CNN.com

Thanks. I didn't know he had his cellphone with him, either. So they weren't able to trace it? Was that even possible in 2001?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member