MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah...I'm not buying what the defense is serving up.
I was open to their ideas until they mentioned the tailight shards. How would the homeowners at the crime scene have found the shards?

I wondered about the type of injuries the victim sustained. At first I was concerned that the injuries were all in the upper body and primarily the head. And then I thought about getting knocked over and losing your balance and then someone backing over your head. I really don't know what to think about the type of injuries in the end.

This will be an interesting trial.
But it appears that the tail light was broken AFTER Read left the party house, as shown in that video upthread.

I don't buy that while doing a three point turn in the snow, at no substantial speed, a person hit would be so badly injured with multiple skull fractures, a lacerated arm while wearing outdoor winter clothes, and a deep gash on his head...which results only in a broken taillight on the vehicle, which seemingly wasn't even broken there on that property.
Also, Read would have felt such a severe hit. As it is she called him what 49 times that night wondering why he didn't come home?

Do people across the street have cameras? Was that investigated?

Didn't O'Keefe call the house to find out if it was the right one? Didn't anyone in the house go out to see where he was since they expected them?

"How long to die in the cold?" Why would somebody google that on a party night?

I didn't realize it was hours. Someone else also said her search history would show her text to the person in the house which I didn't think of. So you both blew my theory all to h*ll lol.
The search for dying from cold was 2 something in the morning and 911 was called after 4 am.

Edited for specifics

According to the defense team’s motion, records show that search was made at 2:27 a.m., more than three hours before O’Keefe’s body was discovered.

New evidence emerges in case involving death of BPD officer | Canton Citizen

Last edited:
So it seems that all this information was released by the defense after discovery? Maybe?
Yes. They have a (37 page) forensic report of McCabe’s iphone and found the incriminating deleted messages that the prosecution did not divulge at discovery, even though they should have found them too. The prosecution took over a year to hand over the phone to defense.
Now the defense have asked for all of homeowner Albert’s phones.
Besides the 37 page iphone forensic report, there are 93 pages of evidence in the defense motion, including photos and police reports and interviews by CPD and MSP.
Albert sold the house shortly after O’Keefe’s death, forensics were never done inside.
The court documents are online, posted by local bloggers, but I have not found a source yet that allows me to link them here.

Defense attorneys in Karen Read case point to others they say are culpable in death of John O’Keefe

“..the defense team has “already uncovered significant steps to delete and tamper with evidence that was provided to law enforcement and misrepresent what occurred on the night in question in an attempt to interfere with the investigation into O’Keefe’s death.”

..it [the 93 page motion] shares Facebook images purporting to show the primary State Police investigator in the case, Trooper Michael Proctor, associating socially with a family directly involved in the case.

The earliest of the images, all sourced from the Facebook page of Courtney Proctor Elburg, shows Trooper Proctor in a staged wedding photo from May 16, 2012, where he appears to be one of the groomsman in his sister’s wedding and where at least one young member of the McCabe family appears to be a ringbearer. The two other photos, one from July 15, 2016, and another from Aug. 20, 2017, show Proctor at what appears to be family gatherings with members of the McCabe family.

“In spite of the fact that O’Keefe was found dead on the front lawn of Boston Police Officer Brian Albert, a highly trained boxer and fighter with deep familial and personal ties to the Canton Police Department and the Massachusetts State Police, law enforcement has utterly failed to treat Mr. Albert (and his family members who were present on the night in question) as suspects,” Yannetti wrote in the motion.

Last edited:
But it appears that the tail light was broken AFTER Read left the party house, as shown in that video upthread.

I don't buy that while doing a three point turn in the snow, at no substantial speed, a person hit would be so badly injured with multiple skull fractures, a lacerated arm while wearing outdoor winter clothes, and a deep gash on his head...which results only in a broken taillight on the vehicle, which seemingly wasn't even broken there on that property.
Also, Read would have felt such a severe hit. As it is she called him what 49 times that night wondering why he didn't come home?

Do people across the street have cameras? Was that investigated?

Didn't O'Keefe call the house to find out if it was the right one? Didn't anyone in the house go out to see where he was since they expected them?

"How long to die in the cold?" Why would somebody google that on a party night?
In the defense motion, in the LE interview with McCabe, she told them she saw the black vehicle pull up on the street in front of the house and then leave but she didn’t see anyone exit the car so they weren’t looking for him.
Jmo

Any damage to the front of her car, or DNA found there? How about car paint found on him?
With skull fractures, bloody cuts on his right arm and head, black eyes.. surely there would be some of his DNA on her car, something besides just a broken tail light and some “scratches” on the bumper.

How did O'Keefe die?
In court Wednesday, prosecutors said O'Keefe was found outside the home in the snow by Read and two friends around 6 a.m. Saturday. He had bloody lacerations on his right arm, his eyes were swollen shut and his clothing was saturated with blood and vomit.

An autopsy was conducted Monday. The results of that autopsy were not immediately released, but prosecutors said in court Wednesday that the medical examiner found several abrasions to O'Keefe's right forearm, two black eyes, a cut to his nose, a two inch laceration to the back of his head, and multiple skull fractures. Hypothermia is also believed to be a contributing factor in his death.

Prosecutors said Read's vehicle was later located at her parents' house and has been seized. The 2021 black Lexus SUV had a shattered right rear taillight and several scratches on its rear bumper.

Last edited:
The search for dying from cold was 2 something in the morning and 911 was called after 4 am.

Edited for specifics

According to the defense team’s motion, records show that search was made at 2:27 a.m., more than three hours before O’Keefe’s body was discovered.

New evidence emerges in case involving death of BPD officer | Canton Citizen

its particularly interesting that in several news sources such as article you linked that the cuts on his arms are referred to as animal or dog bites, and the fact that the homeowners rehomed their German Shepard dog shortly after.

Is it possible someone was so intoxicated they either didn't realize or didn't want to admit at first that they hit him violently with their vehicle? Drove home to sober up, maybe called someone later in a panic, etc.
Possible dog bites could have occurred after the impact from the car?
One or more people decided that protecting themselves from charges of DUI, etc. were more important than helping him?

What am I missing? I haven't examined the alleged details, admittedly.
Speculation/ pondering possibilities only here.

Poor man must have really suffered with those injuries.

its particularly interesting that in several news sources such as article you linked that the cuts on his arms are referred to as animal or dog bites, and the fact that the homeowners rehomed their German Shepard dog shortly after.

25 Investigates: Manner of Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe’s death never determined

Read’s attorneys have pushed back in multiple court filings and have pointed the finger at people inside Brian Albert’s home where a party had been taking place..

They also allege wounds seen on O’Keefe’s arms are consistent with dog bites. In one filing they allege, “four months after O’Keefe’s death, Brian Albert went to great lengths to dispose of critical evidence by making sure ‘Chloe,’ his family dog of seven years, simply disappeared.”

I don't think dogs really fracture people's skulls. Are we seriously entertaining the possibility that the party hosts sicced their dog on him, clubbed him and put him in the snow outside? That seems awfully far fetched but these current charges also seem exceptionally serious for a drunk driving accident. I bet she would have accepted a plea bargain, I wonder why it's come to this sensational a level. Perhaps she is suffering from cognitive dissonance, desperately wanting to believe there is a possibility other than her being responsible.

I don't think dogs really fracture people's skulls. Are we seriously entertaining the possibility that the party hosts sicced their dog on him, clubbed him and put him in the snow outside?
I watched the hearing. The defense theory is that O'Keefe was assaulted by one or more members of the Albert household and that's how he got his head wounds. However, they also suggest that the german shepherd, seeing the fight, joined in and clawed and bit the O'Keefe on his right arm as he tried to shield himself.

At 16:20 of the hearing video, the defense holds up a large poster showing the wounds on O'Keefe's arm. I'm no expert but they sure do look like they were caused by an animal and not from being hit by a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove