Found Deceased New Zealand - Yanfei Bao, 44, Real Estate Agent - Christchurch, South Island 19 July 2023 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Unless the handprint had blood on it...
Yah, don't get me wrong, I wasn't meaning it would be of no use (I'm no CSI lol) just the way the Herald wrote the piece as if it was the focus of the evidence collection. As you say, unless it has blood there....they don't need to find a handprint to know that YB and likely the kidnapper were in that house - they know that already

Adding this for pics and comment about Lake Ellesmere

Lake Ellesmere search linked to Yanfei Bao case

There have been reports of a search underway at Lake Ellesmere, but police have not so far confirmed this, although RNZ photographed this police vehicle in the area today. Photo: RNZ / Nate McKinnon

A house in the Christchurch suburb of Hornby which missing real estate agent Yanfei Bao was due to show to a prospective buyer has today been the focus of a forensic examination by police.
Bao has been missing since last Wednesday when she went door knocking in a nearby suburb.
A man has been charged with kidnapping Yanfei Bao.
Yesterday the man appeared in the Christchurch District Court where he was given name suppression and remanded in custody.
This morning police set up a tent and a portable toilet out front of a house in Trevor Street, in Hornby.
Police are conducting a forensic examination at a house on Trevor Street in Christchurch's Hornby in relation to the disappearance of missing real estate agent Yanfei Bao. Picture taken on 25 July, 2023.

The police set up at the Hornby house. Photo: RNZ / Nathan Mckinnon
The home, which still has a Harcourts for sale sign out the front, has been cordoned off with emergency tape.
The homeowner has confirmed that they were told last Wednesday that Yanfei Bao intended showing the house to a prospective buyer.
Today police forensic staff could be seen at work inside the home while a police guard was keeping watch outside.

Yanfei Bao case: Police begin forensic examination of Hornby house

Am just so confused!

LE state treating as misper

Main resource/time seems to have gone into this property today...

I could understand if they were collecting evidence for homicide prosecution but LE specifically said that's not the focus

Comment from Lead Detective - as fears for Bao's safety continued to mount on Monday, Reeves reiterated police were still investigating the case as a kidnapping - not a homicide.

“We’re keeping an open mind. We still have a huge focus on trying to locate her and bring her home safe and well.”

So where are the searches for Yanfei taking place ???

Tvnz ondemand news at 6 if you have access to the app.

It’s a blimmin big smeary handprint.

Remember if you watched how the Grace Millane case quickly evolved from missing to found (murdered).
NZ Police tend to always keep an optimism for the public even when we are full of doubt. They cannot state murdered without evidence. Until then they must have enough evidence that this man had her against her will.

They also don’t want us giving up liking for her as a member of the public may find her

Thank you @SouthAussie for the map. That makes the search and thoughts of hiding her a lot clearer.

Police are conducting a forensic examination at a house on Trevor Street in Christchurch's Hornby in relation to the disappearance of missing real estate agent Yanfei Bao. Picture taken on 25 July, 2023.'s Hornby in relation to the disappearance of missing real estate agent Yanfei Bao. Picture taken on 25 July, 2023.

The police set up at the Hornby house. Photo: RNZ / Nathan Mckinnon
The home, which still has a Harcourts for sale sign out the front, has been cordoned off with emergency tape.
The homeowner has confirmed that they were told last Wednesday that Yanfei Bao intended showing the house to a prospective buyer.
Today police forensic staff could be seen at work inside the home while a police guard was keeping watch outside.

Yanfei Bao case: Police begin forensic examination of Hornby house

Looks like the police have set up a portable loo for their own use.
I am guessing that this means they are also inspecting the drains and pipes of the house, looking for traces of murder.

Tvnz ondemand news at 6 if you have access to the app.

It’s a blimmin big smeary handprint.

Remember if you watched how the Grace Millane case quickly evolved from missing to found (murdered).
NZ Police tend to always keep an optimism for the public even when we are full of doubt. They cannot state murdered without evidence. Until then they must have enough evidence that this man had her against her will.

They also don’t want us giving up liking for her as a member of the public may find her

Thank you @SouthAussie for the map. That makes the search and thoughts of hiding her a lot clearer.

I hear what you're saying but there are media crews in Christchurch clammering to find a story but the only story they're finding is the forensic work at the house

They have intel on where the car travelled last week - if there were active ground searches taking place surely the Press would've found them?? They announced there was only one suspect - in custody - so no need to have ban on reporting...

Example photo of Police searching park in the area she was last seen last week - where are the searches this week ??

It's just not adding up

I have just joined and read through all the posts and can add:

YB started working for Harcourts at the start of this year. She moved to a new office a few weeks ago, hence why it is said it is a new job, but she has been working for the company all year.

Dive Squad - at last!

'Grave concerns': Dive squad to assist in search for missing Christchurch woman Yanfei Bao

As the time Christchuch woman Yanfei Bao has been missing spans one week, police say the dive squad has been deployed to assist.

On Wednesday morning, Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said a number of searches for the 44-year-old mother are taking place across the city.

"Ms Bao was last seen on Wednesday last week and an active missing person investigation remains ongoing," Reeves said.

"Search activities will be taking place today in and around the Halswell River, and the nearby area of Greenpark.

"The Police National Dive Squad have been deployed to assist the investigation team."

Reeves said the dive squad are expected to begin searching in the water today, depending on water levels being at a safe level for staff.

"Residents in the Greenpark area can also expect to see a police presence in the area searching for Ms Bao.

Apologies for showing my frustrations yesterday...just so wanted this to get underway - agony for Yanfei's family must be hell!

Missing Yanfei Bao: Police searching stretch of Halswell River

Police are set to begin searching a stretch of the Halswell River in relation to the disappearance of missing Christchurch real estate agent Yanfei Bao one week after she was last seen.

A large police presence can be seen at the Halswell River, near Neills Rd, Lincoln. The road is taped off, and a mobile police base can be seen at the end of the road with several police officers and surf-life saving IRB.

The river is swollen from recent floodwater.

Police are searching the Halswell River in relation to missing woman Yanfei Bao. Photo / George Heard.
Police are searching the Halswell River in relation to missing woman Yanfei Bao. Photo / George Heard.

Police searched the same stretch of river in relation to the disappearance of Michael McGrath in 2017. McGrath has never been found.

Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said police are increasing their search activity in locations across Christchurch.

“Search activities will be taking place today in and around the Halswell River, and the nearby area of Greenpark.

“The Police National Dive Squad have been deployed to assist the investigation team”

The dive squad was expected to begin searching in the water today, however this was reliant on the water levels being at a safe level for staff.

Apologies for showing my frustrations yesterday...just so wanted this to get underway - agony for Yanfei's family must be hell!

Missing Yanfei Bao: Police searching stretch of Halswell River

Police are set to begin searching a stretch of the Halswell River in relation to the disappearance of missing Christchurch real estate agent Yanfei Bao one week after she was last seen.

A large police presence can be seen at the Halswell River, near Neills Rd, Lincoln. The road is taped off, and a mobile police base can be seen at the end of the road with several police officers and surf-life saving IRB.

The river is swollen from recent floodwater.

Police searched the same stretch of river in relation to the disappearance of Michael McGrath in 2017. McGrath has never been found.

Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said police are increasing their search activity in locations across Christchurch.

“Search activities will be taking place today in and around the Halswell River, and the nearby area of Greenpark.

“The Police National Dive Squad have been deployed to assist the investigation team”

The dive squad was expected to begin searching in the water today, however this was reliant on the water levels being at a safe level for staff.

Very sad to hear.

I imagine that, by now, the police have been able to track the cars movements through CCTV. They may know when the car was in a certain area for long enough for a person to try to dispose of/conceal evidence (including YB herself).

Since I saw where the car had been that day, I have been wondering if evidence has been disposed of in more than one place.
Or if the accused had gone to a first place, and decided it was too visible/overlooked/difficult, so had then gone to a subsequent place(s) that was more private.

Very sad to hear.

I imagine that, by now, the police have been able to track the cars movements through CCTV. They may know when the car was in a certain area for long enough for a person to try to dispose of/conceal evidence (including YB herself).

Since I saw where the car had been that day, I have been wondering if evidence has been disposed of in more than one place.
Or if the accused had gone to a first place, and decided it was too visible/overlooked/difficult, so had then gone to a subsequent place(s) that was more private.

You did a good job mapping out the areas of interest from LE's request for sightings of the car last week

They've had a bunch of resources to pull from...

sightings of vehicle of interest
tying up with cctv footage
GPS in car
his cellphone (if he had it on him)

His entire movements could literally be mapped out...

I thought similarly to you that he was driving to locations looking for place to dispose.

Appears he spontaneously tossed her phone from car that day - without careful planning. Would've been better to hide it initially then dispose where couldn't be found.

The car was apparently parked 100 metres from the Trevor St house so he had awareness of trying to distance himself.

GPS in car - did he use it to find locations or turn it off and drive randomly...I've been looking into disabling gps to hide history and it seems that's not easily done

Last edited:
Police search river as hunt for missing real estate agent Yanfei Bao intensifies

The police dive squad searching the Halswell River on Wednesday.

PETER MEECHAM/THE PRESS/STUFF
The police dive squad searching the Halswell River on Wednesday.

Police have set up a base by the Halswell River as they search for missing Christchurch real estate agent Yanfei Bao.

Bao was last seen seven days ago and an active missing person investigation remains ongoing, Detective Inspector Nicola Reeves said.

On Wednesday morning, police staff in two inflatable boats were seen slowly working their way up the river from the Neills Rd base. A man in a wetsuit at the rear of one of the boats was monitoring what appeared to be an underwater camera.

Police were also seen walking the edge of the river with a police dog.

A man who lived near the river told Stuff that police had told another resident that they’d tracked the movements of a kidnapping suspect along nearby roads through cellphone data.

Police searched the same stretch of water following the disappearance of Christchurch man Michael McGrath in 2017. David Benbow is accused of murdering McGrath, who remains missing.

Police set up a base by the Halswell River.

PETER MEECHAM/THE PRESS/STUFF
Police set up a base by the Halswell River.

“We are keeping an open mind as to where Yanfei is and what may have happened to her, but we do have grave concerns at this time,” Reeves said.

“As such, we are considering all possible lines of enquiry and making every effort to locate her.”

A man who lived near the river told Stuff that police had told another resident that they’d tracked the movements of a kidnapping suspect along nearby roads through cellphone data.

Police searched the same stretch of water following the disappearance of Christchurch man Michael McGrath in 2017. David Benbow is accused of murdering McGrath, who remains missing.
It sounds like they're hot on the trail of the suspect, so I hope they find what they're looking for soon. Very sad that we're a week on and there's been no sign of Yanfei alive.

Also interesting that it's the same area that they looked for Michael McGrath in. He's another one I think of often. I lived in the area and knew his face. I hope the police come up with more evidence of what happened to Yanfei than they did in Michael's case.

It sounds like they're hot on the trail of the suspect, so I hope they find what they're looking for soon. Very sad that we're a week on and there's been no sign of Yanfei alive.

Also interesting that it's the same area that they looked for Michael McGrath in. He's another one I think of often. I lived in the area and knew his face. I hope the police come up with more evidence of what happened to Yanfei than they did in Michael's case.
It would be so ironic if they found Michael McGraths body during this search, bet we know someone following this search closely.

Excerpts from Stuff link in previous post...

"A man who lived near the river told Stuff that police had told another resident that they’d tracked the movements of a kidnapping suspect along nearby roads through cellphone data."

hmmmmm did LE comment or was this just someone wanting to feel big by having inside info ?? either way his movements were obvs tracked there

"While residents spoken to by Stuff couldn’t recall seeing Bao last week, police are hoping CCTV cameras on various homes in the street captured her movements, and those of anyone involved in her disappearance."

again, obvs they do have this information...hence extensive forensic work

"On Tuesday morning, investigators paid close attention to two cameras on the front of the house next door to the Trevor St property, and appeared to be photographing an area of footpath where footage may have captured someone walking past."

I've had long time interest in the missing...just frustrating to see the manpower that goes into International misper searches

Similar resources not available in NZ. Surely they could've deployed all the trainees at Police College, armed forces personnel etc.

Sorry but if this was my family member I'd have wanted to see EXTENSIVE land/water searches within days. Also, if it were a child missing I believe manpower would've been called in from everywhere, jmho

You're right, much searching was done then but over time...

MMcG's brother also continued to search areas of interest for a long time

DB may indeed be bricking it - on that topic did you catch "The Trial" Podcast by Michael Wright of The Press for Stuff ?

It's bloody good!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89