MD MD - Janet Louise Ryan, 12, White Hall, August 9th, 1957

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

victoriarobinson642

Reaction score
Not in NAMUS or any of the databases. I can't find any trace of her after her disappearance and articles years later list her as still missing.Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.03.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.03.52 PM.png
Janet Louise Ryan a 12-year-old girl' from Green Road White Hall has been missing from her home since August 9 State Police at the Benson Barracks request that anyone having any information as to her whereabouts get in touch with them immediately The girl is described as weigh ing about IP) pounds is 4 feet 9 tall has blue eyes blond shoulder length hair and was wearing a light brown and white checkered shu and brown saddle shoes She had 82000 jewelry and a man's watch in her possession when she disappeared

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.07.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.08.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.08.23 PM.png

I've been debating her as a match for 'Little Miss X' - the distance is really the only thing stopping me. She had a younger sister named P Ryan, which could explain the comb's initials.
View attachment 445089View attachment 445090View attachment 445088
Just came across Janet's case from the subreddit. Seems likely she's still missing. Hate to see police assumed she ran away and was still out there. By 1964 they should have been looking for remains...

If Janet is still missing, LMX is really the only Doe from the time that fits her, even if the distance is far. The comb does make sense in this case though... If Connie Smith from Connecticut gets a heavy consideration, I see no reason Janet shouldn't.

Without an investigating agency, it'll be hard to submit her case to NamUs.

Did she go to school? That note is pretty poorly written for a 12 year old.
Obviously, all of what I'm writing is MOO.

If she did go to school, which is likely considering her age, I'd be more inclined to think Janet wasn't the author of the note. I really hope they got experts to compare the handwriting. She was smart enough to bring some belongings with her, so I think she'd at least know some basic spelling...

Speaking of the items she brought with her, the money and her mothers watch make sense (the money for food/water and the watch for sentimental reasons), I find it hard to find a reason to why she'd bring her communion dress and some costume jewelry with her...

I guess her dress may have been for sentimental reasons too, but why would she bring some costume jewelry with her? It would've made more sense for her to take some more casual clothing and maybe even some food and water to keep her fed and hydrated for the first few days, yet she didn't...

The jewelry and dress make me think she was possibly going to meet someone or was planning on selling them, though she was never sighted selling anything so I think she was going to meet someone.

I feel that Janet may have disappeared too far away to get to Arizona... The only other Jane Doe I can think of is Irondequoit Jane Doe from 1988, though she is believed to have died decades earlier.
122UFNY1_LARGE.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.16.16 PM.png
NCMU1106805c1.jpg

Irondequoit Jane Doe 122UFNYJanet Louise Ryan
SexFemaleFemale
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/Caucasian
Age14 - 2312
DLC/DOD1958 - 1978August 9, 1957
Height4'10 - 5'5 (NCMEC)4'4 - 4'9 (Explained below)
WeightUnknown70 - 110 pounds (Also explained below)
Hair ColorUnknownBlonde
Eye ColorUnknownBlue
Distinctive FeaturesNo signs of previous injury.Unknown/None
CircumstancesRemains found buried head-first.Presumably ran away in 1957.
DistanceWhite Hall - Irondequoit328 miles
Janet's height and weight vary drastically between sources. The FBI bulletin lists her as 4'6, 70 pounds.
Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.03.52 PM.png

In this newspaper, she is listed as 4'4, 70 pounds, a whole 2 inches taller.
1694019788732.jpeg
1694019867465.jpeg
In this newspaper, she is listed as 4'9, 110 pounds, drastically different. This leads me to believe her height may be unknown, to an extent...

Obviously, all of what I'm writing is MOO.

If she did go to school, which is likely considering her age, I'd be more inclined to think Janet wasn't the author of the note. I really hope they got experts to compare the handwriting. She was smart enough to bring some belongings with her, so I think she'd at least know some basic spelling...

Speaking of the items she brought with her, the money and her mothers watch make sense (the money for food/water and the watch for sentimental reasons), I find it hard to find a reason to why she'd bring her communion dress and some costume jewelry with her...

I guess her dress may have been for sentimental reasons too, but why would she bring some costume jewelry with her? It would've made more sense for her to take some more casual clothing and maybe even some food and water to keep her fed and hydrated for the first few days, yet she didn't...

The jewelry and dress make me think she was possibly going to meet someone or was planning on selling them, though she was never sighted selling anything so I think she was going to meet someone.
She misspelled some very basic words like "you", "time" and "long". Another explanation might be that she just had horrible handwriting so it looks like she misspells everything.

Communion dresses are usually very nice, aren't they? Maybe she wanted to show up at her mother's dressed up and with her watch to show her how grown she is? She got dressed nicely and made all the way to her mother's place by herself.
By the way, I'm not seeing anywhere that is says where her mom lived.

She misspelled some very basic words like "you", "time" and "long". Another explanation might be that she just had horrible handwriting so it looks like she misspells everything.

Communion dresses are usually very nice, aren't they? Maybe she wanted to show up at her mother's dressed up and with her watch to show her how grown she is? She got dressed nicely and made all the way to her mother's place by herself.
By the way, I'm not seeing anywhere that is says where her mom lived.
Communion dresses are usually very nice, yes. It'd make sense that she was trying to impress someone with such a fancy dress.

I don't really understand what Janet meant by her "real mother". Maybe she was led to believe she had another mother, which was what her soon-to-be abductor used to lure her to them?

And typically they’re white.

She lived with her father and step-mother. :)
Thank you for the info about the step-mother! I wonder why she'd go looking for her biological mother though... I also wonder where she was living at the time...

<modsnip> The Evening Post (Baltimore) 7/27/64, The Aegis (Bel Air, MD) 7/30/64 as sources. Could someone post the entire articles here?

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that Janet may have disappeared too far away to get to Arizona... The only other Jane Doe I can think of is Irondequoit Jane Doe from 1988, though she is believed to have died decades earlier.
122UFNY1_LARGE.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.16.16 PM.png
NCMU1106805c1.jpg

Irondequoit Jane Doe 122UFNYJanet Louise Ryan
SexFemaleFemale
RaceWhite/CaucasianWhite/Caucasian
Age14 - 2312
DLC/DOD1958 - 1978August 9, 1957
Height4'10 - 5'5 (NCMEC)4'4 - 4'9 (Explained below)
WeightUnknown70 - 110 pounds (Also explained below)
Hair ColorUnknownBlonde
Eye ColorUnknownBlue
Distinctive FeaturesNo signs of previous injury.Unknown/None
CircumstancesRemains found buried head-first.Presumably ran away in 1957.
DistanceWhite Hall - Irondequoit328 miles
Janet's height and weight vary drastically between sources. The FBI bulletin lists her as 4'6, 70 pounds.
Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 10.03.52 PM.png

In this newspaper, she is listed as 4'4, 70 pounds, a whole 2 inches taller.
View attachment 445194
View attachment 445195
In this newspaper, she is listed as 4'9, 110 pounds, drastically different. This leads me to believe her height may be unknown, to an extent...
Janet has pretty distinctive-looking front teeth that don't seem to match Jane Doe's. (IMO)
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 4.13.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-06 at 4.14.25 PM.png

7-year anniversary from the Aegis.

Attachments

• The_Aegis_the_Harford_Gazette_and_the_Democratic_Ledger_Thu__Jul_30__1964_.pdf
    359 KB · Views: 19
  • The_Aegis_the_Harford_Gazette_and_the_Democratic_Ledger_Thu__Jul_30__1964_ 2.pdf
    293.3 KB · Views: 13
7-year anniversary from the Aegis.
"To both of Yoo I have watuk a lang tine for this to came. I took the maney because I need it, and I took your watch and you jewelry and I hope I never see you again I am findin my real mother Lillian is a nice mother but she dad becaus you did not stay maried to my mother. Janet"

What does this mean? Is it missing punctuation and she is trying to find her "real mother"?

The note seems very juvenile (ignoring the spelling) even for her age. If she wrote it, maybe Janet had a disability?

She may have had (possibly undiagnosed) dyslexia, which was much more stigmatized back then. This is also not incompatible with "horrible handwriting." MOO

Based on the Aegis August 22 1957 article, it seems Maryland State Police were in charge of her case at the time (Not US based so forgive me if I'm wrong).
1694019867465.jpeg

The extensive Aegis July 30 1964 article backs this up.

Would they have a record of her case now? If they do, she will probably be added to NamUs, right?

Based on the Aegis August 22 1957 article, it seems Maryland State Police were in charge of her case at the time (Not US based so forgive me if I'm wrong).
1694019867465.jpeg

The extensive Aegis July 30 1964 article backs this up.

Would they have a record of her case now? If they do, she will probably be added to NamUs, right?
I can try adding her and seeing what happens.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back