IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Enhanced surveillance photos. I did these. They’re not official.

Attachments

• A2FD8B43-B881-4800-A28E-3D893773E7A3.jpeg
    A2FD8B43-B881-4800-A28E-3D893773E7A3.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 31
  • DE4FAE7F-0D10-4DC1-8886-1B05429C5BAA.jpeg
    DE4FAE7F-0D10-4DC1-8886-1B05429C5BAA.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 27DEE429-725A-4273-A20B-6E579E7767BF.jpeg
    27DEE429-725A-4273-A20B-6E579E7767BF.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 30
  • 51A1567A-D945-493B-A11B-577D87897743.jpeg
    51A1567A-D945-493B-A11B-577D87897743.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 33
1694877455511.png
1694877495555.png

Feb 2, 2023
'Law enforcement experts believe the Tinley Park Lane Park murders, which have gone unsolved for 15 years, could be cracked by future technology.'

''Feb 2, 2023
Fifteen years ago Thursday, five women were shot and killed during a robbery inside a Lane Bryant store in southwest suburban Tinley Park. The gunman has never been caught. CBS 2's talked with two women who worked at the store, but were not there that day.''

Wow! And also why a rebroadcast is helpful. I had forgotten one of the victims may have scratched the killer (DNA) and had blood under her fingernails. It makes me wonder if that DNA is being searched for possible family matches. Also, I had forgotten that LE looked at the possibility that the robbery was a cover-up for a hit on one of the victims.

After listening to both episodes of "True Crime Garage" podcast I am reminded why I am baffled by how this went down. Suspect was in the store from 10:08 to approx 10:46. LE is nearby and the killer kills and leaves the store possibly within 2 minutes. He supposedly gets in a small black SUV that pulls up and quickly leaves the scene. If that is true there is an accomplice and they arrive very quickly. But why stay in the store over half an hour? An inexperienced thief who was unsure of his next action? It didn't go as he planned? In spite of the 3D sketch of the killer there is still no lead. What could the killer possibly expect to get from the store, especially given they might had to share with an accomplice? And why kill them? He panicked? One of the victims had seen him before? And what about DNA from the blood under the fingernails of a victim?

And is the killer even still alive? The accomplice alive? What if the killer himself has since been killed or gone missing? If missing could the DNA from the scene be compared to DNA in NAMUS?

Not a term commonly considered at the time, but LB is a large women's store, staffed by women with little cash in the till in the morning, maybe the perp simply hated women, imo, speculation, fwiw.

''Misogynist terrorism is terrorism which is motivated by the desire to punish women. It is an extreme form of misogyny, the policing of women's compliance to patriarchal gender expectations.[1] Misogynist terrorism uses mass indiscriminate violence in an attempt to avenge nonconformity with those expectations or to reinforce the perceived superiority of men.

Since 2018, misogynist or male supremacist ideology has been listed and tracked by counter-terrorist organizations as an emerging terrorist threat. The terms male supremacist terrorism and misogynistic extremism are also used for these acts of violence.

Misogynist terrorism often targets representatives or stand-ins for a type of person that the terrorist feels anger toward.''

I don’t understand what the killer was waiting for during those 40-ish minutes. I believe they chose to shoot the victims at that time because they realized one had managed to phone someone. Possibly they panicked. Had that not occurred, how long would they have stuck around with 6 women tied up in that store?

There are only a few reasons I can think of that no one has recognized the sketch or description of this killer, as both are rather detailed. Either they’re not local and the target area hasn’t been reached or the description given by the surviving witness is not accurate (for whatever reason).

I found it intriguing that some speculated the killer could be a woman, according to the TCG podcast. That could also explain why no one has recognized this ‘man’. I tried listening to the 911 call but I couldn’t really distinguish much from it.

It’s a baffling case. JMHOs

I don’t understand what the killer was waiting for during those 40-ish minutes. I believe they chose to shoot the victims at that time because they realized one had managed to phone someone. Possibly they panicked. Had that not occurred, how long would they have stuck around with 6 women tied up in that store?

There are only a few reasons I can think of that no one has recognized the sketch or description of this killer, as both are rather detailed. Either they’re not local and the target area hasn’t been reached or the description given by the surviving witness is not accurate (for whatever reason).

I found it intriguing that some speculated the killer could be a woman, according to the TCG podcast. That could also explain why no one has recognized this ‘man’. I tried listening to the 911 call but I couldn’t really distinguish much from it.
The store was open to the public when the killer was conducting his initial delivery ruse. He robbed shoppers of their cash and jewelry. 4 of the victims were shoppers, 2 were employees. LE speculated that he was probably going to keep robbing as many shoppers as they came in.40 minutes is a long time for this to unfold, but part was the delivery ruse/conversation, the robbery part, then corralling everyone to the back room and incapacitating each one. I suppose that could take more time than one would think.
I agree with previous posters that someone knows who he is due to his distinct appearance-the green bead in his hair and the bedazzled jeans but they were afraid to come forward. Also it took a really long time-9 days, for the sketch to be released.
I think the speculation that the killer is a woman is silly and is not aiding the solving of the case. If LE was unsure of the gender at all I think they would say they are looking for a man OR woman fitting the description.

The store was open to the public when the killer was conducting his initial delivery ruse. He robbed shoppers of their cash and jewelry. 4 of the victims were shoppers, 2 were employees. LE speculated that he was probably going to keep robbing as many shoppers as they came in.40 minutes is a long time for this to unfold, but part was the delivery ruse/conversation, the robbery part, then corralling everyone to the back room and incapacitating each one. I suppose that could take more time than one would think.
I agree with previous posters that someone knows who he is due to his distinct appearance-the green bead in his hair and the bedazzled jeans but they were afraid to come forward. Also it took a really long time-9 days, for the sketch to be released.
I think the speculation that the killer is a woman is silly and is not aiding the solving of the case. If LE was unsure of the gender at all I think they would say they are looking for a man OR woman fitting the description.

I agree, it most likely was a man. One of the victims survived, having seen and heard the killer for quite a while. She would know if it was a woman instead of a man.

The possibility of having DNA evidence to help identify the killer would be great.

The Target in this shopping center was robbed last month. Gas stations and other retail stores in the area get robbed quite often. The BMO Bank on Harlem was robbed this summer. They generally always work in groups are in and out quickly. What sticks out to me as different is that they picked a store so far back in the shopping center (not very accessibl), stayed so long, and came up with the delivery story. I really think these robbers planned to rob women as they came into the store. When RM called the police he panicked. Not sure what would have been the ending if the 911 call hadn’t been placed. I really think my husband is right, and it’s just some people that did something stupid and managed to not get caught somehow. I can’t imagine a professional hitman staying so long. I’d love to know if they found the delivery papers he presented. I’d love to know how authentic they looked compared to other delivery paperwork Lane Bryant stores receive. They were believable enough for RM to call another store. I think it’s someone with knowledge of the inner workings of either Lane Bryant or the delivery company. They picked a store without video surveillance. They‘ve alluded that they have something belonging to the killer. I think he may have left his beanie. He had a beanie on when he entered the store. Since we know what his hair looked like, I imagine he took it off and the survivor saw his hair. They need to run the dna through ancestry dna if possible. I think the guy in the sketch is most likely dead. May have been killed by his coconspirators after his face was on the news. I’ve always heard two men on the 911 call. I think 2 robbers were in the store when the shooting occurred. We probably only have the sketch of one of them because that is the only one who the survivor saw. He covered their heads. It amazes me we don’t have a better description of the two vehicles. You’d think there would have been a lot of commotion when they fled. Surely someone would have seen it. Most of the time the criminals in this area use stolen cars.

View attachment 447397
View attachment 447398

Feb 2, 2023
'Law enforcement experts believe the Tinley Park Lane Park murders, which have gone unsolved for 15 years, could be cracked by future technology.'

''Feb 2, 2023
Fifteen years ago Thursday, five women were shot and killed during a robbery inside a Lane Bryant store in southwest suburban Tinley Park. The gunman has never been caught. CBS 2's talked with two women who worked at the store, but were not there that day.''
Video 1:
Confirmation there is more audio. I don’t think she ever hung up the phone and the shooting was heard by the 911 operator.

Video 2:
Also this is the first we’ve heard that someone couldn’t come into work that Saturday. We’ve always been told that RM decided to randomly come in because of a sale. I’ve always found it odd that only one employee was on schedule. Normally stores won’t allow only one employee to be at the store. I wonder what Lane Bryant’s policy was on this. Did RM agree prior to Saturday morning that she would work on Saturday or did she just show up? How many people knew? Were there people that thought the survivor may be working alone? Lots of questions surrounding this.

Regarding the hair and wondering if the perp cut it off following the crime? imo.
Even if he did, you’d think people would notice.

The green beads are what gets me. How common is that?

They usually keep the same braids for a few weeks….

Does anyone know how much hair you’d need to create that type of braid?

I'm pretty sure it is the coffee cup he was drinking from that morning that the police have. I would like them to release more of the audio of his voice. You never know what someone just might recognize. At this point in the case, almost 16 years later, what can it hurt? It is intriguing to me that TP police did not comment for the 15th anniversary. It makes me believe they have something going on that they do not want to jeopardize. Perhaps they are on to someone. Otherwise, why the radio silence?

Video 1:
Confirmation there is more audio. I don’t think she ever hung up the phone and the shooting was heard by the 911 operator.

Video 2:
Also this is the first we’ve heard that someone couldn’t come into work that Saturday. We’ve always been told that RM decided to randomly come in because of a sale. I’ve always found it odd that only one employee was on schedule. Normally stores won’t allow only one employee to be at the store. I wonder what Lane Bryant’s policy was on this. Did RM agree prior to Saturday morning that she would work on Saturday or did she just show up? How many people knew? Were there people that thought the survivor may be working alone? Lots of questions surrounding this.

IIRC from the True Crime Garage podcast, the staffing problem was partly the result of it being Superbowl weekend.

WRT advanced DNA testing or genetic genealogy, this recent article from the local news media claims the PD is always promised the funds it needs for the case:

Feb 1, 2023

Every year, the village makes sure Tinley Park police has funding for evidence testing, travel and any other resources needed for the case, village officials said.
Last year, a new detective was assigned to the case, Tinley Park officials said. That detective continues to work with the crime lab and review new and old tips daily.
“We’re hoping that new advancements in technology will help us solve this case once and for all,” Walsh said.

Last edited:
The Target in this shopping center was robbed last month. Gas stations and other retail stores in the area get robbed quite often. The BMO Bank on Harlem was robbed this summer. They generally always work in groups are in and out quickly. What sticks out to me as different is that they picked a store so far back in the shopping center (not very accessibl), stayed so long, and came up with the delivery story. I really think these robbers planned to rob women as they came into the store. When RM called the police he panicked. Not sure what would have been the ending if the 911 call hadn’t been placed. I really think my husband is right, and it’s just some people that did something stupid and managed to not get caught somehow. I can’t imagine a professional hitman staying so long. I’d love to know if they found the delivery papers he presented. I’d love to know how authentic they looked compared to other delivery paperwork Lane Bryant stores receive. They were believable enough for RM to call another store. I think it’s someone with knowledge of the inner workings of either Lane Bryant or the delivery company. They picked a store without video surveillance. They‘ve alluded that they have something belonging to the killer. I think he may have left his beanie. He had a beanie on when he entered the store. Since we know what his hair looked like, I imagine he took it off and the survivor saw his hair. They need to run the dna through ancestry dna if possible. I think the guy in the sketch is most likely dead. May have been killed by his coconspirators after his face was on the news. I’ve always heard two men on the 911 call. I think 2 robbers were in the store when the shooting occurred. We probably only have the sketch of one of them because that is the only one who the survivor saw. He covered their heads. It amazes me we don’t have a better description of the two vehicles. You’d think there would have been a lot of commotion when they fled. Surely someone would have seen it. Most of the time the criminals in this area use stolen cars.

I was also struck by the location, big parking lot, people most likely coming in and out of neighboring stores. Such an odd choice. I agree I think the shootings were on the audio. Not sure about any accomplice being in the store though, LE would have said so I would think?
It would be interesting to know what the survivor thinks of the sketch and about the speculation that the killer is a woman. She has not spoken since as far as I know.
As for the DNA it’s hard to know what they have, how much, and if it is enough to run through ancestry sites. I too think he left his hat.

I was also struck by the location, big parking lot, people most likely coming in and out of neighboring stores. Such an odd choice. I agree I think the shootings were on the audio. Not sure about any accomplice being in the store though, LE would have said so I would think?
It would be interesting to know what the survivor thinks of the sketch and about the speculation that the killer is a woman. She has not spoken since as far as I know.
As for the DNA it’s hard to know what they have, how much, and if it is enough to run through ancestry sites. I too think he left his hat.
As far as I know, they didn’t come right out and say they thought he had accomplices until this year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena
Back