MI Matthew Leach, Murdered 1992 in Lennon

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He met his ex-girlfriend...Did a new man in her life get angry about the meet up...LE said it was a brutal attack...Sounds like overkill and personal IMO...

Sounds like the girlfriend drove him to dinner, the perps watched him leave on foot and then picked him up. Appears deliberate. It doesn't sound like a crime of opportunity. I wonder what the distance is from the restaurant to where he was found? There has to be DNA at the crime scene. I hope they can solve it soon for his parents.

Matthew Leach, 22, Murdered 1992

The Shiwassee County (Michigan) Sheriff's Department has solved every cold case in the county except for one, the mysterious death of 22-year-old Matthew Leach in 1992.

LINK:

I spoke with his father, Herb Leach this morning. Working with his family to hopefully put something together on his very cold case.

July 11 2023
1689119889998.png
Shiawassee County Sheriff Doug Chapman holds a photo of Matthew Leach in his office Tuesday, July 11, 2023. Leach was killed in July 1992. His homicide investigation is being reopened with a new investigator. (Joey Oliver| MLive.com)

By Joey Oliver rbbm
''CORUNNA, MI – Nearly 31 years after the body of Matthew Leach was found in a wooded area near the intersection of M-21 and Reed Road in Venice Township, the Shiawassee County Sheriff’s Office is hoping fresh eyes from a new investigator will help bring forth new leads.
Sheriff Doug Chapman and investigator Mark Pendergraff are holding a news conference Wednesday, July 12, to announce they are reopening the July 1992 Leach homicide investigation, which remains unsolved.''

I spoke with this detective weeks ago. Glad they are going public about the case being reopened!

Maybe someone kept the clothing and boots?
rbbm
''According to Chapman, on July 24, 1992, Leach arrived at Colonia Coney Island Restaurant at 2913 Corunna Road in Flint between the hours of 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Leach was there to meet up with his ex-girlfriend, Chapman said, adding he reportedly walked away from the ex-girlfriend and was never seen again.''

''Leach’s body was found by hunters on July 31, 1992 in a secluded, wooded area in the vicinity of M-21 and Reed Road in Venice Township, Chapman said. Leach died due to multiple injuries, he said, adding he was found only wearing his underwear.

Leach was last seen wearing a white Camel’s logo t-shirt that said “Joe Cool” on it, designer jeans, and black cowboy boots with silver-colored tips on the toes.''

Here is another, even older, Shiawassee County cold case that remains unsolved:

Aug 13 2023 rbbm.
SHIAWASSEE COUNTY, Mich. (WLNS) — Officials in charge of a decades-old cold case in Shiawassee County are thankful their renewed investigative push is garnering fresh leads.

The case of Matthew Leach dates back to July 24, 1992, when Leach went missing after meeting his ex-girlfriend around 10 p.m. at the Colonial Coney Island in Flint.

After the two met, Leach reportedly walked away from her and was not seen again until a week later, when hunters found his body in a secluded wooded area near M-21 and Reed Road in Venice Township.

One month later after their reopening of the case, officials said things are heading in the right direction.

“We have interviewed many more witnesses than they did in the past,” Shiawassee County Sheriff Douglas Chapman said. “We are confident that someone is going to talk.”

“I’m very pleased that Crime Stoppers has now stepped in. The reward is now $7,500 for any information leading to an arrest and a conviction,” Chapman said.''

Aug 13 2023 rbbm.
SHIAWASSEE COUNTY, Mich. (WLNS) — Officials in charge of a decades-old cold case in Shiawassee County are thankful their renewed investigative push is garnering fresh leads.

The case of Matthew Leach dates back to July 24, 1992, when Leach went missing after meeting his ex-girlfriend around 10 p.m. at the Colonial Coney Island in Flint.

After the two met, Leach reportedly walked away from her and was not seen again until a week later, when hunters found his body in a secluded wooded area near M-21 and Reed Road in Venice Township.

One month later after their reopening of the case, officials said things are heading in the right direction.

“We have interviewed many more witnesses than they did in the past,” Shiawassee County Sheriff Douglas Chapman said. “We are confident that someone is going to talk.”

“I’m very pleased that Crime Stoppers has now stepped in. The reward is now $7,500 for any information leading to an arrest and a conviction,” Chapman said.''
I would be interested in learning who the "hunters" were and what it was that they were "hunting" in late July.

Michigan Hunting seasons usually run from September through February, with most hunters going afield between 20 October (opening day of small game season) and about 5 December (end of gun deer season).

McKoy Scribner 1 day ago​

''The past six sheriff’s offices have conducted their investigations and interviews but were unable to crack the case.
Chapman said any time is the right time to come forward.
“If you have been interviewed in the past and perhaps lied because of being in fear — do not worry,” Chapman said.
Though officials aren’t able to go into specifics of how far they’ve come and where things stand, they’re assuring the community that maximum effort is being put into the case and are confident it will be solved.''
rbbm.
1692045170199.png
“I really feel that with the age of this case that someone may feel guilty and want to give us the help we need to solve it,” Chapman said.

Chapman is asking anyone who knows something about the incident to come forward and call the sheriff’s office at 989.743.3411.''

''On July 31st 1992, a man and his son were hunting in a wooded area near the intersection of M-21 and Reed Road in rural Venice Township when they stumbled upon the decomposing remains of a man.''

I would be interested in learning who the "hunters" were and what it was that they were "hunting" in late July.

Michigan Hunting seasons usually run from September through February, with most hunters going afield between 20 October (opening day of small game season) and about 5 December (end of gun deer season).
This is my very first post, but I can actually help here.
I live in Owosso Michigan, and know who the hunters that found the body are.
My father in law and brother in law.
They are avid hunters, but were not actually hunting that day. They were looking for places to hunt during deer season and just generally enjoying the outdoors. They lived very close to where he was found, and regularly went walking in nearby woods and fields scouting and planning for the next hunting season.
My father in law told me he smelled a foul odor and thought it was a dead deer so he and my brother in law followed the smell and came across the body of Matthew Leach.
I hope this helps in some way.

This is my very first post, but I can actually help here.
I live in Owosso Michigan, and know who the hunters that found the body are.
My father in law and brother in law.
They are avid hunters, but were not actually hunting that day. They were looking for places to hunt during deer season and just generally enjoying the outdoors. They lived very close to where he was found, and regularly went walking in nearby woods and fields scouting and planning for the next hunting season.
My father in law told me he smelled a foul odor and thought it was a dead deer so he and my brother in law followed the smell and came across the body of Matthew Leach.
I hope this helps in some way.
Thank you for the clarification and information. And welcome to Websleuths.

Hopefully the new initiative will lead to some answers.

Thank you for the welcome!
I’m happy I was able to contribute something.
We’re all hoping with the renewed efforts that the case can be solved.
And thank you for having an interest in this cold case!

the anniversary is coming up next week

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back