Distinguishing Features: Mole on her chin

Circumstances
Last known contact on June 5, 1951.

Investigators
Wichita Police Department
Agency Phone: (316) 268-4407
Agency Case Number: 23C134907

Last edited:
I think she could be the Blackhawk Jane Doe.
Original
Original

Blackhawk Jane Doe UP14826Mary Belle Henley MP110047
SexFemaleFemale
RaceUnknown, though reconstructions seem to have been done with a white woman in mind.White/Caucasian
Age17 - 3025
DLC/DODWeeks prior to September 30, 1952June 5, 1951
Height5'75'8 - 5'9
WeightUnknown125 - 135 pounds
Hair ColorBrown/BlackBrown
Eye ColorUnknownBrown
Distinctive FeaturesProminent overbite.Mole on chin.
CircumstancesCharred remains found under log.Last known contact on June 5, 1951.
DistanceWichita - Blackhawk549 miles

Last edited:
I wonder if the jewelry found with Blackhawk Jane Doe could be used to rule out Mary? That could definitely help.
Maybe. Not sure how many people would remember, or even be alive, but if the jewelry was photographed on Mary, it could be used to make at least a tentative identification.

The following was posted on ancestry.com. Link below

Mary Belle Davis Henley is my grandmother.She has been a Missing Person since 1952.Abt 1952 LKL was Anderson, IN & Wichita, KSMiss Davis married Mr. Henley abt 1939 possibly in Valdosta, GA before returning to live in Cookeville, TN. No record or date is known.Between 1952-1959 Mr. Henley either had her declared dead in absentia and/or divorced in absentia. No date or records are known by the family. May be associated with the surnames-Pierce, Shepard and/or Godsey. Records indicate a Ms. Mary Davis Godsey died in 2004. Ms. Godsey's DOB & parents match Mrs. Henley's however Mrs. Henley's immediate family cannot prove or disprove at this time the women are one in the same. marybelledavis.jpgmarybellebethdavis.png

Interesting, the person (granddaughter) on Ancestry also says:

Correct DOB and Parents for Mrs. Henley with DOD: 23 Jun 2004 associated with the names:

Mary Davis Godsey Sep 1953
Mary Davis Oct 1957
Mary Davis Pierce Aug 1960
Mary Belle Pierce Mar 1968
Mary B Pierce 5 Jan 1990
Mary Belle Shepard 7 Sep 1990
SSN assoc with these names was in fact issued in Kansas abt 1953

I think she could be the Blackhawk Jane Doe.
Original
Original

Blackhawk Jane Doe UP14826Mary Belle Henley MP110047
SexFemaleFemale
RaceUnknown, though reconstructions seem to have been done with a white woman in mind.White/Caucasian
Age17 - 3025
DLC/DODWeeks prior to September 30, 1952June 5, 1951
Height5'75'8 - 5'9
WeightUnknown125 - 135 pounds
Hair ColorBrown/BlackBrown
Eye ColorUnknownBrown
Distinctive FeaturesProminent overbite.Mole on chin.
CircumstancesCharred remains found under log.Last known contact on June 5, 1951.
DistanceWichita - Blackhawk549 miles
Are you going to submit this to be matched? I think this should be ruled out. Very promising.

I’ve never seen a high school yearbook photo of a woman listed under her married name. That’s a first for me. I feel like the Mary Godsey who died in 2004 could be her. What are the chances she shares with someone with the same name, DOB, and parents? Then again, this is a very recent addition to NamUs, so surely this has all been checked out. o_O

Then again, this is a very recent addition to NamUs, so surely this has all been checked out

There’s a new book out called “Lay Them to Rest”. One of the things the author says is often most useful to PDs for old cases is historical newspaper stories, and presumably, this sort of public genealogy.

I’d be willing to bet that many of these very old MPs have very slim/incomplete case files, so I can believe the sort of research we tend to do on WS for these kind of cases doesn’t generally overlap with what LE does.

Someone, somewhere, messed up the birth dates of Mary Belle. Her Florida gravestone shows a birthdate of Feb 8, 1926. The SS Application shows her birthdate as Mar 8, 1926. There's also a MISS Mary Belle Pierce of St. Joseph, MO, born in 1926, which is where the Florida Mary Belle is from and where she married Hubert Shepard. If this MISS Mary Belle Pierce is the same as the Florida Mary Belle Pierce who married Hubert Shepard in St. Joseph, MO, then she couldn't be the same as the Mary Belle Davis Henley since her maiden name was Pierce.

I also included a 1950 census which shows Mary Belle Henley was separated from her husband and living with her mother in Putnam County, TN in 1950. They were married Oct 16, 1940.

marybhenleycensus.png

marybellepierce.jpg

hubertreidshepard.png
marybpierce.png

marybelleshepard.pnghubertrshepard.png

marydavisgodsey.png

One of the things the author says is often most useful to PDs for old cases is historical newspaper stories, and presumably, this sort of public genealogy.

I’d be willing to bet that many of these very old MPs have very slim/incomplete case files, so I can believe the sort of research we tend to do on WS for these kind of cases doesn’t generally overlap with what LE does.
I tend to agree. Though, speaking from a personal experience, I was recently visited by two detectives from a southeastern county in my state who are still investigating a 50+ year old cold case murder. Don't think they aren't reading what we write here on WS. Something motivated them to travel 180 miles to question me and I don't think it was the three hour scenic drive. The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow but they grind exceedingly fine.

I tend to agree. Though, speaking from a personal experience, I was recently visited by two detectives from a southeastern county in my state who are still investigating a 50+ year old cold case murder. Don't think they aren't reading what we write here on WS. Something motivated them to travel 180 miles to question me and I don't think it was the three hour scenic drive. The wheels of justice grind exceedingly slow but they grind exceedingly fine.
This gives me hope for all the cold cases out there.

I’ve never seen a high school yearbook photo of a woman listed under her married name. That’s a first for me. I feel like the Mary Godsey who died in 2004 could be her. What are the chances she shares with someone with the same name, DOB, and parents? Then again, this is a very recent addition to NamUs, so surely this has all been checked out. o_O
I would not bet on it all having been checked. I recall the Stella Horrell case. She disappeared in the 1940s and was found to have lived a full life and died in the 1990s - all of which could be traced through Ancestry.
On the married name in a yearbook, it reminds me of our rugby captain (and a future international) at school. He made an error when he and his girlfriend were 15. They got married at 16 and remained at school until 18 (with a flat provided by parents). The look on the faces of opponents when his wife and toddler came to watch daddy play in school matches was wonderful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back