Found Deceased SC - Michelle Murph 6 & dad Jason Murph 42, may have been in car accident, phoned wife 8pm near Hwy 301 near Calhoun County, 16 Dec 2023

Yes, those are all important questions. I too would like to be able to visualize the situation they were in. Was there ever an address given in the media as to where exactly they were found? Or are you saying that you know it but there are no google maps images to help?
Was this image of the truck taken at the scene?

I think it's somewhere around here, along I-26 near to Lavender Lane and Murph Mill Creek. It looks like the whole area would be a boggy swamp, especially when it's raining:

murph.jpg

It seems the case on this tragedy is closed, the Coroner has offered his opinions on the circumstances and COD. So unless something changes, it seems there will be no further investigation going forward. The details still make no sense to me, but many things in life often don't :(

It seems the case on this tragedy is closed, the Coroner has offered his opinions on the circumstances and COD. So unless something changes, it seems there will be no further investigation going forward. The details still make no sense to me, but many things in life often don't :(
Yes, you’re right: It seems to be basically a closed case by authorities and the puzzling questions will not be answered. :(

Just my personal opinion - looking at Jason Murph's FB and how proud was he of his daughter, I wonder if it is not too-common, slowly developing and poorly recognized depression in a man of 40. He is employed, and he has a family and a kid, and he is a good dad, but things are slowly falling apart, so slowly that no one notices what it is, and maybe he is unaware. His marriage falls apart, and maybe the job is not going so well, and that first DUI in a man over 40,,, too often it is a symptom of self-medication. I think that he panicked after that accident, knowing what 2nd DUI would entail, and decided to rely on himself and got totally disoriented, what with the unknown area and the night. Wrong decision caused by panic. And then the tragedy happened. I feel really sorry for Michelle's mom and all the relatives who loved the Murphs. I don't think it was planned nor premeditated, just too-common tragedy. The age, the postcovid time, the pattern, all points to it. But it was in no way planned. JMO.

Just my personal opinion - looking at Jason Murph's FB and how proud was he of his daughter, I wonder if it is not too-common, slowly developing and poorly recognized depression in a man of 40. He is employed, and he has a family and a kid, and he is a good dad, but things are slowly falling apart, so slowly that no one notices what it is, and maybe he is unaware. His marriage falls apart, and maybe the job is not going so well, and that first DUI in a man over 40,,, too often it is a symptom of self-medication. I think that he panicked after that accident, knowing what 2nd DUI would entail, and decided to rely on himself and got totally disoriented, what with the unknown area and the night. Wrong decision caused by panic. And then the tragedy happened. I feel really sorry for Michelle's mom and all the relatives who loved the Murphs. I don't think it was planned nor premeditated, just too-common tragedy. The age, the postcovid time, the pattern, all points to it. But it was in no way planned. JMO.
I’ve had these same thoughts and I agree that this is likely the tragic trajectory. I’m extremely haunted by this father-daughter tragedy because like you I also believe this was a lovng, caring, devoted father — not some selfish, reckless, irresponsible person.

Maybe people need sympathy and compassionate support rather than prosecution. He perhaps needed therapy and antidepressant medication to prevent another DUI.

Last edited:

I completely agree. Even if my suggestion is correct that Jason and Michelle had driven up to the creek deliberately, I still think everything that followed was a tragic accident: Jason likely didn't realize the peril he and Michelle were in and thought he could handle it himself.

whoa, so many posts here border on victim blaming when LE has stated no foul play. Looks like a vehicle fire (that burned the entirety of the vehicle) started after he tried to rock his way out of the bog. Fire can and does rage in damp areas with enough combustion and source material.

Please keep in mind that LE knows more than we do and they have said there is no foul play. Terrible, tragic accident.

whoa, so many posts here border on victim blaming when LE has stated no foul play. Looks like a vehicle fire (that burned the entirety of the vehicle) started after he tried to rock his way out of the bog. Fire can and does rage in damp areas with enough combustion and source material.

Please keep in mind that LE knows more than we do and they have said there is no foul play. Terrible, tragic accident.
I'd like to see an official cause of the fire. I want to know the source material that caused a fire of such intensity that completely burned the truck.

JMO.

I'd like to see an official cause of the fire. I want to know the source material that caused a fire of such intensity that completely burned the truck.

JMO.
I had a car that spontaneously combusted when it wasn’t even running. That thing was burnt to a crisp. Remember the car contains a whole tank of gas that will incinerate anything.

Did it ever state how far was the car from the road? It was found in a filed off the road wonder how far.
If it was so muddy that car and people get stuck in it how far could the car drive in the mud when went off the road before stopping. Couldn’t have been so far I suppose.

This is a Magnolia plantation museum, 1 hour West of Charleston, SC. During the excursion, we were explained everything about the origins of SC - the marshy soil, and malaria that killed the inhabitants, and peat moss that was used for heat. Posting these photos - you think it is azalea indica, and five steps later, there is a marsh. I am not surprised with what has happened; it is a treacherous soil. The reason everything grows well there is the same, lots or organic material.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231231_125851_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231_125851_Facebook.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20231231_125859_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231_125859_Facebook.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20231231_125915_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231_125915_Facebook.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 36

Staff online

Members online