MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
YouTube lawyer Emily D. Baker will be covering the trial gavel to gavel. She said she has not gotten too deep into the case and has formed no opinions so she will be watching and commenting through the eyes of the jurors. If you don't know her, can't recommend her enough. She's fantastic.

Yannetti and Jackson argue in the filings that the current setup of the court “violates her [Karen Read] constitutional right to confrontation because numerous members of the jury will be unable to observe the faces of the witnesses who testify against her.”

Below is a photo taken from one of the seats. I'm truly surprised that a courtroom would be set up this way. Imagine being a juror in an eight week trial and just staring at the back of peoples' heads the whole time.
1713580735197.png

Good morning from day 4 of the jury selection process for the #KarenRead trial.Follow this thread for updates from the courtroom.

Welcome to new followers of this account. I am a political & pop culture commentator with @NBC10Boston & @necn. I’m a lifelong resident of Greater Boston (except for 90 days in NYC). I lived in Canton for about 10 years about 8 years ago.

I have been acquainted with a couple of people on the witness list, but have not interacted with them since leaving Canton. I have reviewed some of the evidence available. I do not have an opinion on the case.

I’ll post what I see happening during the selection process today. Numbers may be amended as new information becomes available or is confirmed.

Please watch “Canton Confidential, The Karen Read Trial” every night at 7p on @NBC10Boston @NECN or our digital & streaming platforms for a wrap up and expert commentary on the day’s events.

Defense & #karenread are at the defense table.

@SueNBCBoston

@TedDanielnews

Good Morning from day 4 of jury selection in the Commonwealth vs. Karen Read. 4 more jurors are needed before testimony can begin. My seat cushion arrived and it's a welcome relief to the upright wooden church pew.Thankfully, we are not required to kneel in court. Pax vobiscum!

9:10 AM · Apr 22, 2024

Court officer has a ladder out and is manually adjusting the hands on the massive clock behind the judge’s bench. It says 9:15, but it’s 9:20.

Officer is off the ladder. Clock is still 5 minutes behind.Prosecution has entered the courtroom.

The defense and #karenread are reviewing a document.

A reminder that 12 jurors have been picked. 4 more to go.

The defense team & #KarenRead continue to have a very focused, quiet conversation.

The judge has entered, court called to order, greeting all around, Judge calls a sidebar for all counsel.91 potential jurors have entered the courtroom. They are sworn in.

Again, a very diverse pool by all observable characteristics.

The sidebar was regarding “impaneling issues”.A reminder that on Friday defense filed a motion about the jury box saying “the courtroom seating arrangements, as presently situated,…

…would violate Ms. Read’s constitutional right to confrontation because numerous members of the jury will be unable to observe the faces of the witnesses who testify against her at trial.”

The judge is reading the witness list to the potential jury pool.

At 91, I believe this is the largest jury pool so far.

Members of the media received an additional media credential at check in today.

The judge is about to ask the pool the standard questions.

@SueNBCBoston

@TedDanielnews

We are underway. Judge Cannone calls for private sidebar to discuss "empaneling issues" with both sides.Also, she still has to consider a motion filed by the defense on Friday. The defense wants the location of the jury box moved arguing that some jurors will not be able to see the faces of witnesses when they testify. This is a picture the defense included in it's filing. Not sure if that will be taken up today.

1713795282999.png
9:38 AM · Apr 22, 2024

In response to the verbal questions “do you, or any of your close friend or family…”Know or had dealings with witnesses:18 of 91 raise hands.

Know or had dealings with defense, prosecution, DA’s office:4 of 91 raise hands.

Have a financial or personal interest in case:Know or had dealings with witnesses:0 of 91 raise hands.

Seen, heard, or talked about the case:78 of 91 raise hands.

Expressed or formed an opinion about the case:32 of 91 raise hands.

Have a bias in favor or against:17 of 91 raise hands.All of these numbers by my count.

Judge has left the bench.Jury pool is completing written questionnaire.

@SueNBCBoston

Good morning from day 4 of the jury selection process for the #KarenRead trial.Follow this thread for updates from the courtroom.

Welcome to new followers of this account.I am a political & pop culture commentator with
@NBC10Boston & @necn. I’m a lifelong resident of Greater Boston (except for 90 days in NYC).I lived in Canton for about 10 years about 8 years ago.

I have been acquainted with a couple of people on the witness list, but have not interacted with them since leaving Canton.I have reviewed some of the evidence available.I do not have an opinion on the case.

I’ll post what I see happening during the selection process today. Numbers may be amended as new information becomes available or is confirmed.

Please watch“Canton Confidential, The Karen Read Trial” every night at 7p on @NBC10Boston @NECN or our digital & streaming platforms for a wrap up and expert commentary on the day’s events.

Defense & #karenread are at the defense table.

Court officer has a ladder out and is manually adjusting the hands on the massive clock behind the judge’s bench. It says 9:15, but it’s 9:20.

Officer is off the ladder. Clock is still 5 minutes behind.Prosecution has entered the courtroom.

The defense and #karenread are reviewing a document.

A reminder that 12 jurors have been picked. 4 more to go.

The defense team & #KarenRead continue to have a very focused, quiet conversation.

The judge has entered, court called to order, greeting all around, Judge calls a sidebar for all counsel.91 potential jurors have entered the courtroom. They are sworn in.

Again, a very diverse pool by all observable characteristics.

The sidebar was regarding “impaneling issues”.A reminder that on Friday defense filed a motion about the jury box saying “the courtroom seating arrangements, as presently situated,…

…would violate Ms. Read’s constitutional right to confrontation because numerous members of the jury will be unable to observe the faces of the witnesses who testify against her at trial.”

The judge is reading the witness list to the potential jury pool.

At 91, I believe this is the largest jury pool so far.

Members of the media received an additional media credential at check in today.

The judge is about to ask the pool the standard questions.

In response to the verbal questions “do you, or any of your close friend or family…”Know or had dealings with witnesses:18 of 91 raise hands.

Know or had dealings with defense, prosecution, DA’s office:4 of 91 raise hands.

Have a financial or personal interest in case:Know or had dealings with witnesses:0 of 91 raise hands.

Seen, heard, or talked about the case:78 of 91 raise hands.

Expressed or formed an opinion about the case:32 of 91 raise hands.

Have a bias in favor or against:17 of 91 raise hands.All of these numbers by my count.

Judge has left the bench.Jury pool is completing written questionnaire.

I’m wondering what the “impaneling issues” were that the judge discussed with the lawyers.Did they lose any seated jurors over the weekend?

The completed questionnaires have been collected.Court officers checking that they have them all.Next step is copies for counsel & judge, and then review.

@SueNBCBoston

@SueNBCBoston

The defense & prosecution just received their copies of the completed juror questionnaires.As in prior days, #KarenRead is reviewing her’s with a highlighter.If the court sticks to previous procedure, each juror will be called, in order of their juror #, for a sidebar interview

11:15 AM · Apr 22, 2024

Court is back in session.Jurors being called for their sidebar interviews.

In a new filing, prosecution says defense has made insufficient showing as to why DA Morrisey should testify in this case.

1713801254233.png

And the Commonwealth responds to the defense jury box motion.“Norfolk Superior Court was built in 1827 and criminal trials have beenconducted in the main session courtroom, with substantially the same set-up, for over onehundred years.”

“Given the defendant's objection, the Commonwealth offers another alternative, that the trial be conducted in courtroom 25 of the Norfolk Superior Court.”

— Sue O'Connell (@SueNBCBoston) April 22, 2024

Last edited:
The defense has Norfolk DA Michael Morrissey on its witness list. In another new filing, the prosecution says the defense has made an "insufficient showing" of why DA Morrissey should testify in this case. The prosecution also asks that he not be subject to a sequestration order.

Last edited11:39 AM · Apr 22, 2024

@TedDanielnews

According to prosecution filing, the defense wants to call DA Morrissey to testify about the what the defense says is a conflict with the Canton Police Department and the assignment of State Troopers attached to Morrissey's office.The prosecution is also trying to block a victim witness advocate the defense wants to call from taking the stand.

11:49 AM · Apr 22, 2024

@SueNBCBoston

Jury selection trudging along.Looks like about 70 of the 91 still awaiting their sidebar interview.Defense has conferred with #KarenRead at least twice regarding whether to impanel a juror. Read has been involved in her team’s selection process each session.

12:31 PM · Apr 22, 2024

About 50 of the 91 jurors still awaiting the their sidebar interview.

Some jurors are dismissed quickly, others go through several rounds of questioning from the judge, defense, and prosecution. Some are then asked to sit while each side considers the candidate.It’s a painstaking process but very important to both sides.

@SueNBCBoston

Another vigorous, long interview that ended with “You’re excused,”

About 28 left in the pool.About 8 spectators have been allowed in to watch the process.

About 18 left now.Uncertain how many jurors have been seated or are needed.

Defense team conferring with #KarenRead around this juror.

Another defense conference with #KarenRead over a juror.. Just 12 left in the pool.

Correction on earlier post:13 said they had a bias, not 17.

We are now down to the final 5 jury interviews of the day.

@SueNBCBoston

@JHall7news

The state’s highest court has agreed to hear a dispute over the Judge’s 200 ft buffer zone in the #karenread case on an expedited track. Arguments and paperwork are due beginning at noon tomorrow….

to be filed first by the lawyers for the protesters who say their first amendment rights are being violated.

3:00 PM · Apr 22, 2024 from
Dedham, MA

Another defense conference with #karenRead. Another juror excused.Followed by a quick excusal.And now there are 2 left in the pool.

They’ve chosen 19 jurors, but may come back on Wednesday.

We expected 16 jurors.At one point it appeared to me they hit the number, then the judge said, and I’m paraphrasing, we can continue if you want.

The goal is to get to 20, according to defense, so they can get a solid 16 jurors.20 will be pared down to 16.They do not have a solid 16

@SueNBCBoston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member