TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking there is a digital trail of sorts . The criminal mind has learned ways around it. Have Caleb's watch or phone ever been found?
Have they identified the deleted reddit acct owner?
His watch, MacBook, and iPad were left at the house. His phone has never been found, and I think the answers lie there.

I don’t think this occurred through Reddit, rather, I think it tells us what he was up to. If you’re looking there, you undoubtedly are using apps as well.

I’m sure they’ve explored any connections they can uncover online, but it doesn’t appear to have proven fruitful thus far.

Yes, an accidental overdose or some mishap would probably cause someone to try and conceal the body. It couldn’t go very long without being discovered, so if this is the case it would at some point be dumped in water or something. If someone were known to be the last person who saw him, wouldn’t that be enough for a warrant? I just don’t understand this case…

What I figure is the last known location doesn't immediately track to where ever Caleb is now. Do we even know why the phone went off? LE can probably get some information about that from the cell carrier - but not a lot.

Throwing the phone in the water would definitely make it stop working. So one scenario would be that someone grabbed Caleb's phone and threw it in a body of water (the bay, most likely) and then did something to or with Caleb. This would mean that Caleb was well aware that he was being assaulted. So it's not my top scenario.

I don't think I've read here where exactly that last ping was (somehow, I thought it was on the "small bridge" near the apt complex).

IMO.

In this day and age when a missing/endangered individual, LE should be able to receive data pronto once a warrant is received. I understand privacy issues but the process takes an incredibly long time.
I do think it’s getting better. In that Oklahoma missing women’s case, the DA went out of his way to thank corporate America for their quick response to requests for data, that one was solved in days.

I don’t think that’s the holdup here, as we’re talking about months at this point. Once you have that data, you have to sort through it though, which then typically leads to even more subpoenas.

His watch, MacBook, and iPad were left at the house. His phone has never been found, and I think the answers lie there.

I don’t think this occurred through Reddit, rather, I think it tells us what he was up to. If you’re looking there, you undoubtedly are using apps as well.

I’m sure they’ve explored any connections they can uncover online, but it doesn’t appear to have proven fruitful thus far.
Thank you for the info. Any cash app type account I wonder?

I checked Venmo but haven’t come up with anything. <modsnip>

I’d be surprised if he didn’t have one though.
My authorities, my own college age kids, said most have cash app, or venmo or apple pay. That's just how they settle up $ with other students for things. I'm not sure what the tie in to some of these are, maybe telephone number? I do know cash app uses 2 factor identification. My kids were invaluable to me during the delphi case. Aside from playing the same sport in the same ares, they seemed to have the same mindset

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM just because I admire your succinct clarity in six simple words.

But I still don't think there had to have been a digital connection in this case. There is no prerequisite that there be prior contact between murderer and murderee.

Maybe the other serial killer you read about was Larry Eyler?

IMO, killers want/need to kill, and so they kill. And, like everybody else, they evolve just as ways and means evolve.

Some predator could have met Caleb on line and engineered an encounter, yes. I realize that many sleuthers believe it was something along these lines and I understand why. However, to date, virtually no factual evidence to support this scenario has been made public. That may be because there is none. We'll see.

Or... some predator in the wider vicinity of The Cottages apartment complex could have noticed Caleb and bookmarked him for future reference.

Or... some predator could have been out night-trawling and seized the perfect opportunity presented by a barefoot young man apparently loitering near a fog-shrouded bridge in the middle of the night.

Or... some cruiser could have presumed that loitering barefoot young man to have been a rent boy.

My point is, there are alternative scenarios here that require no digital access whatsoever.

Just because it's hard to believe that Caleb was randomly grabbed and killed by a stranger doesn't mean he wasn't. I happen to think he was. JMO, of course.
Long time sleuther, first time poster. This is a very baffling case because we are coming up on three months now since the disappearance with no named suspects or arrests in this case by LE in spite of all the agencies involved. It is also baffling in that there is such a tight timeline in which this disappearance occurred. It seems like a very solvable case and yet nothing so far.

A few thoughts. It is believed by most that a hookup or meeting occurred through an online ap. However, it is quite possible that the meeting that took place that night was not done online. Maybe it was done in person leaving no digital trail. Caleb had been in and out several times in the early morning hours. The first time we see him with the dogs and other friends on the ring bell camera. Then we know that after the roommate went to bed, he takes the dog out again. We see that on the Snapchat sent to his sister. Maybe there was someone living in that apartment complex that has been secretly trolling Caleb for some time. He sees him out there alone with the dog; approaches him, and they agree to meet up in say 20 minutes or at 3:00 AM. Caleb puts the dog up and then orders the food to be delivered by Uber eats then goes out to meet this person. It could have been a sexual encounter but it just as easily could have been someone who lured Caleb with a free bag of dog food. Caleb saw no threat in this person. It could also explain why he left with no shoes, no wallet, no keys. Just a quick encounter. I have had a feeling for some time that the perp may well be someone in that apartment complex. Keep in mind also that the security cameras for the apartment complex were not working. The person who encountered Caleb may have been aware of that.

The second thought is an abduction. So let’s say Caleb does go out to meet the Uber driver. Again, quick trip no shoes, wallet, keys. Instead of hanging around his apartment for the driver he walks out to the gate/entrance where he snaps a photo of a foggy bridge. A couple of guys come along and see him out there alone on a foggy night. An easy robbery target. Caleb is forced into the car but he has no money, nothing of value but a phone. So now they have kidnapped this young man; they panic then kill him. Or maybe there is a gang out looking to deliver a message to someone and Caleb is abducted but it is a mistaken identity. Again, panic sets in and Caleb is killed. In both of these cases Caleb’s phone is taken and shut of by his abductors. I do believe that if he was taken against his will it was by more than one person. Caleb is a decent size person who appears to be physically fit. The one thing about an abduction is that no one reported hearing a scuffle. One would think that Caleb would have put up some kind of resistance.

Long time sleuther, first time poster. This is a very baffling case because we are coming up on three months now since the disappearance with no named suspects or arrests in this case by LE in spite of all the agencies involved. It is also baffling in that there is such a tight timeline in which this disappearance occurred. It seems like a very solvable case and yet nothing so far.

A few thoughts. It is believed by most that a hookup or meeting occurred through an online ap. However, it is quite possible that the meeting that took place that night was not done online. Maybe it was done in person leaving no digital trail. Caleb had been in and out several times in the early morning hours. The first time we see him with the dogs and other friends on the ring bell camera. Then we know that after the roommate went to bed, he takes the dog out again. We see that on the Snapchat sent to his sister. Maybe there was someone living in that apartment complex that has been secretly trolling Caleb for some time. He sees him out there alone with the dog; approaches him, and they agree to meet up in say 20 minutes or at 3:00 AM. Caleb puts the dog up and then orders the food to be delivered by Uber eats then goes out to meet this person. It could have been a sexual encounter but it just as easily could have been someone who lured Caleb with a free bag of dog food. Caleb saw no threat in this person. It could also explain why he left with no shoes, no wallet, no keys. Just a quick encounter. I have had a feeling for some time that the perp may well be someone in that apartment complex. Keep in mind also that the security cameras for the apartment complex were not working. The person who encountered Caleb may have been aware of that.

The second thought is an abduction. So let’s say Caleb does go out to meet the Uber driver. Again, quick trip no shoes, wallet, keys. Instead of hanging around his apartment for the driver he walks out to the gate/entrance where he snaps a photo of a foggy bridge. A couple of guys come along and see him out there alone on a foggy night. An easy robbery target. Caleb is forced into the car but he has no money, nothing of value but a phone. So now they have kidnapped this young man; they panic then kill him. Or maybe there is a gang out looking to deliver a message to someone and Caleb is abducted but it is a mistaken identity. Again, panic sets in and Caleb is killed. In both of these cases Caleb’s phone is taken and shut of by his abductors. I do believe that if he was taken against his will it was by more than one person. Caleb is a decent size person who appears to be physically fit. The one thing about an abduction is that no one reported hearing a scuffle. One would think that Caleb would have put up some kind of resistance.
Good thoughts, and all plausible. I just hope that if these scenarios occurred, there’s a way to find the responsible people at some point in the near future.

Suppose it was a person in the complex that offered something as simple as some free dog food they had left over from a dog they no longer owned:

How will they ever be found? Was there ever a reason given as to why the cameras weren’t working that night? If they harmed Caleb, when and how would they have disposed of him without detection?

Facebook has where you can designate a “Legacy” person that can access your Facebook account/info upon your death by providing Facebook with a copy of your death certificate.

Perhaps other providers (i.e. AT&T, Apple, Google, etc) could allow account holders to designate someone that could quickly authorize access to their account info (calls, posts, contacts, searches, etc) immediately upon providing a police report that the account holder is a legitimate missing person.

This would be optional - like the Facebook “ Legacy” setting - so someone can opt-in to this feature or they could keep their info private which would then require search warrants, etc.

The Cottages do not have a great reputation. There were 30 empty units at the complex. I wonder if LE knocked on every door? All it would take would be for them to miss just one.

Was it a fellow student who also lived at The Cottages who might have invited Caleb in for a bit of fun. If so, they'd likely have a view of the parking area and the drainage ditch to know he was outside. Same goes for any maintenance, security personnel.
No digital footprint.

Caleb was moving to Alaska for a summer job, and then to a new place? Was he moving to his new place before he left for the summer or when he returned? Might the new landlord know something? A relative stranger, yes, but not someone Caleb would instinctively distrust.
No digital footprint.

I think it would take a very tried and true ruse to get Caleb into a car with a stranger. Unless of course, he felt invincible like a lot of guys his age. If so, I say SK or Night Stalker.
No digital footprint.

Caleb knew his attacker.
No digital footprint.

Motive: $, sex, jealousy
Opportunity: Fog. Caleb out late at night alone
Means: proximity to Caleb's place, access to a vehicle

A few thoughts. It is believed by most that a hookup or meeting occurred through an online ap. However, it is quite possible that the meeting that took place that night was not done online. Maybe it was done in person leaving no digital trail. Caleb had been in and out several times in the early morning hours. The first time we see him with the dogs and other friends on the ring bell camera. Then we know that after the roommate went to bed, he takes the dog out again. We see that on the Snapchat sent to his sister. Maybe there was someone living in that apartment complex that has been secretly trolling Caleb for some time. He sees him out there alone with the dog; approaches him, and they agree to meet up in say 20 minutes or at 3:00 AM. Caleb puts the dog up and then orders the food to be delivered by Uber eats then goes out to meet this person. It could have been a sexual encounter but it just as easily could have been someone who lured Caleb with a free bag of dog food. Caleb saw no threat in this person. It could also explain why he left with no shoes, no wallet, no keys. Just a quick encounter. I have had a feeling for some time that the perp may well be someone in that apartment complex. Keep in mind also that the security cameras for the apartment complex were not working. The person who encountered Caleb may have been awaringe of that.

This makes me wonder how thorough and precise the questioning of the inhabitants of the apartments was by LE. Did they make note of any apartments that had only one occupant? Did any occupant refuse entry to LE and answer questions in the doorway or hallway? Did they only ask if occupants heard or saw anything unusual that evening? Did LE visually inspect every room of every apartment? I could go on and on but the questioning of the occupants was done so early on and long before it became apparent that this was much more complex than originally thought.

Last edited:
Good thoughts, and all plausible. I just hope that if these scenarios occurred, there’s a way to find the responsible people at some point in the near future.

Suppose it was a person in the complex that offered something as simple as some free dog food they had left over from a dog they no longer owned:

How will they ever be found? Was there ever a reason given as to why the cameras weren’t working that night? If they harmed Caleb, when and how would they have disposed of him without detection?
If he was taken in a car, the body could have been dumped in the water in the Corpus area or driven to someone’s property where the body was buried or placed inside a 55 barrel drum almost never to be found.

If he was killed at the apartment complex, the body could have been removed under the cover of darkness inside a very large trash bag. Thrown in the back of a pickup and driven away to be dumped or buried elsewhere. I would think that it would take two people to carry bag. However it is possible someone else assisted in removing the body.

If he was taken in a car, the body could have been dumped in the water in the Corpus area or driven to someone’s property where the body was buried or placed inside a 55 barrel drum almost never to be found.

If he was killed at the apartment complex, the body could have been removed under the cover of darkness inside a very large trash bag. Thrown in the back of a pickup and driven away to be dumped or buried elsewhere. I would think that it would take two people to carry bag. However it is possible someone else assisted in removing the body.
True. Unfortunately if anything like this occurred it’s likely that the case will go unsolved.

But again, what would the motive be for 2 people disposing of him? It gets very confusing.

This makes me wonder how thorough and precise the questioning of the inhabitants of the apartments was by LE. Did they make note of any apartments that had only one occupant? Did any occupant refuse entry to LE and answer questions in the doorway or hallway? Did they only ask if occupants heard or saw anything unusual that evening? Did LE visually inspect every room of every apartment? I could go on and on but the questioning of the occupants was done so early on and long before it became apparent that this was much complex than originally thought.
Would LE have had the legal right to search anyone’s apartment at that point in time?

And yes, they did the questioning early on, when it was not as clear that Caleb had probably met with foul play. Sometimes law enforcement go back and find reason to suspect people who weren’t looked at closely initially.

I’ve been reading this thread and thought of a plausible scenario — if he DID want to meet someone for a sexual encounter, this would require Caleb either reaching out to somebody, or (for example on Reddit) making some sort of post generally asking others if anyone is available for a hook-up. However, in college, (does anyone know how far into the course Caleb was? How many people did he know personally at the complex?) it’s common to have a few acquaintances whom you’ve hooked up with before — and probably would hook up with again.

So, if Caleb is in the mood for a hook up, he could’ve done all of these things at ONCE:
- posted online
- messaged somebody online
- texted someone he knew either on or near the complex.

It was late, maybe there was less of a chance of meeting someone online, so he tried a few different options? Maybe ended up meeting someone he knew near the house, therefore sending LE on a rat-race for online warrants / information which actually led nowhere? This also would make me think Caleb brought the dog out to show her off to someone he knew — something like “look at this adorable new dog we have near our place!” I’m a dog lover, I would totally show my neighbours new puppy off to my friends. Speaking as a female college student who’s pretty used to getting a few naughty / “you up?” texts at night from male students in my apartment block.

Would the dog also work as some sort of ice breaker? Something to talk about if they’d previously met for a sexual encounter and it was awkward perhaps? I’m rambling now.

ETA: on the timeline, it’s said that Caleb & friends were playing video games and drinking before the 12.56 mark when they play with the dog on camera. His friend leaves at 2.20, do we know if the friend drove back himself? Was he sober enough to do this? It seems significant to me that Caleb and friends were drinking until roughly an hour before his phone goes off. He may have been more likely to engage in riskier behaviour and been less aware of his surroundings.

Moo!

Last edited:
The Cottages do not have a great reputation. There were 30 empty units at the complex. I wonder if LE knocked on every door? All it would take would be for them to miss just one.

Was it a fellow student who also lived at The Cottages who might have invited Caleb in for a bit of fun. If so, they'd likely have a view of the parking area and the drainage ditch to know he was outside. Same goes for any maintenance, security personnel.
No digital footprint.

Caleb was moving to Alaska for a summer job, and then to a new place? Was he moving to his new place before he left for the summer or when he returned? Might the new landlord know something? A relative stranger, yes, but not someone Caleb would instinctively distrust.
No digital footprint.

I think it would take a very tried and true ruse to get Caleb into a car with a stranger. Unless of course, he felt invincible like a lot of guys his age. If so, I say SK or Night Stalker.
No digital footprint.

Caleb knew his attacker.
No digital footprint.

Motive: $, sex, jealousy
Opportunity: Fog. Caleb out late at night alone
Means: proximity to Caleb's place, access to a vehicle
Thank you for laying this all out.
I think your “no digital footprint” must surely be what the assistant chief of police meant when he said the case was “baffling”. I hope the agencies will really probe those types of scenarios you mentioned as having “no digital footprint”.

I do think it’s getting better. In that Oklahoma missing women’s case, the DA went out of his way to thank corporate America for their quick response to requests for data, that one was solved in days.

I don’t think that’s the holdup here, as we’re talking about months at this point. Once you have that data, you have to sort through it though, which then typically leIn the ads to even more subpoenas.
In the Oklahoma case LE had Persons of Interest from the very beginning. They started off the investigation ahead of the game.

In Caleb's case LE is looking for a needle in a haystack.

Facebook has where you can designate a “Legacy” person that can access your Facebook account/info upon your death by providing Facebook with a copy of your death certificate.

Perhaps other providers (i.e. AT&T, Apple, Google, etc) could allow account holders to designate someone that could quickly authorize access to their account info (calls, posts, contacts, searches, etc) immediately upon providing a police report that the account holder is a legitimate missing person.

This would be optional - like the Facebook “ Legacy” setting - so someone can opt-in to this feature or they could keep their info private which would then require search warrants, etc.
Unless and until a body is found....there is no death certificate issued for several years after a person goes missing. The family has to request it after the legal period deadline has passed. In my state, a person must be missing for at least 7 years before being declared dead by a court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goldengoose1997