Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 4 murders, July 2023 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodney Harrison found John Ray credible enough to stand alongside him at a joint press conference.

How I wish Harrison hadn't been on his way out when that happened.

While I've always been glad JR has kept SG's case alive (and helped all these victims in many ways)... there is such a strange intertwining of lawyers surrounding RH and Gilgo, I can't give my complete trust to any of them. I believe some things but not others... tough to explain.

jmo

If more charges happen tomorrow and the case/description of his SK style is expanded, do you think another look might be given to the Atlantic City murders? Will there be more detailed investigations on his property in SC?

These John Ray witnesses came forward after decades. For me, jmo, I wouldn't doubt their credibility. It's the time lapse which can cause problems. And the fact that the context of RH's crimes is largely still only being pieced together even now. For example, in one of these affidavits, the witness notes someone she believed was AE said RH had brought her out to this country and everything she had was thanks to him. But I've seen multiple sources noting AE went to Farmingdale HS, which makes it seem difficult to believe she'd make such a statement. And AE's mentioned on the Classmates alumni 1981 list for Farmindale. This doesn't mean, however, the witness is inaccurate. Maybe this was indeed RH, and he did have a woman there, but a woman who wasn't actually AE. Also, if that house looked then the way it does recently, I can't picture the woman who's allegedly AE would say she was lucky RH "was rich." Once we get more of a baseline in place for how RH operated, we can probably make better assumptions about lots of things, jmo. But I'm surely interested in what these witnesses had to say.

The affidavit of the woman cab driver was also very compelling. If accurate, she saw Rex when he was angry and preparing to kill someone. A different persona than the guy at the swinger party, though I’m sure he could switch personalities very quickly.

If more charges happen tomorrow and the case/description of his SK style is expanded, do you think another look might be given to the Atlantic City murders? Will there be more detailed investigations on his property in SC?
I think it will be really hard to predict how wide ranging this case will go. The investigation is driven by Suffolk County, NY (where so many of the bodies were found) and includes multiple agencies. Would not other counties and jurisdictions be responsible for launching their own investigations of any unsolved crimes in their areas?

I'm not sure what it might take for an investigation of this size to launch in South Carolina, nor who would pay for it.

I think LE in Atlantic City would have to make the call whether to take another look or if they already have and said "not our guy."

What tugs at my mind is John Bittrolff, still protesting his innocence but convicted of two murders in 2014, using DNA, then cutting edge. I suspect he was charged and convicted without the intense study of digital data that is available now and incredibly valuable in this Gilgo case.

IF Newsday is right about Sandra Costilla being considered an RH victim, then will it come out that Bittrolff was convicted because his DNA proved he had sex with the two women, but as his attorney said, "proof of sex is not proof of murder." Apparently Bittrolff's DNA was not found on Costilla or he would have been charged there too.

I don't think LE will look at "solved" crimes, but wonder about the Innocence Foundation getting involved. I would hope that IF the taskforce did stumble into evidence that RH was responsible for Bittrolff's two, it would look into it for justice's sake. They should have enough evidence to solve a lot of mysteries.

Last edited:
These John Ray witnesses came forward after decades. For me, jmo, I wouldn't doubt their credibility. It's the time lapse which can cause problems. And the fact that the context of RH's crimes is largely still only being pieced together even now. For example, in one of these affidavits, the witness notes someone she believed was AE said RH had brought her out to this country and everything she had was thanks to him. But I've seen multiple sources noting AE went to Farmingdale HS, which makes it seem difficult to believe she'd make such a statement. And AE's mentioned on the Classmates alumni 1981 list for Farmindale. This doesn't mean, however, the witness is inaccurate. Maybe this was indeed RH, and he did have a woman there, but a woman who wasn't actually AE. Also, if that house looked then the way it does recently, I can't picture the woman who's allegedly AE would say she was lucky RH "was rich." Once we get more of a baseline in place for how RH operated, we can probably make better assumptions about lots of things, jmo. But I'm surely interested in what these witnesses had to say.

LP said that there were 2 sea shells on a shelf in AE's house.
IIRC: John Ray said she may have noticed them because of the sea shells on the Island where she came from?
I still haven't been able to find out if before Aug.31 2023 when LP signed the affidavit photos of AE's house were published that showed sea shells.
LP said that the Christmas tree was still up around Valentine's Day when she was there but there were photos published that showing a Christmas tree but I don't know if they were before or after 8-31-23.

I doubt that had Ray but more importantly Rodney Harrison not felt somewhat confident after following up with these RH/AE claims they wouldn't have held the presser.
RSBM

This was exactly why I took issue with Harrison standing up there next to John Ray in that press conference (and in my estimation, why Tierney also took issue with it ). Harrison himself admitted during that PC that the task force was still working on vetting this information. It's a horrific mistake, imo , for the Police Commissioner to appear to give credence to any information that hasn't been thoroughly vetted. This is exactly why we now have people running around stating that it's a fact that AE hosted swinger parties, and that Karen Vergatta definitely was in the Heuermann house the night she went missing and that she ran out of there naked and scared for her life. If this information turns out to be false or mistaken, what do you think the defense is going to do with that ? What do you think AE's attorney will do with that ?

(Not aimed at you at all. I just used your post as a jumping off point. )

The affidavit of the woman cab driver was also very compelling. If accurate, she saw Rex when he was angry and preparing to kill someone. A different persona than the guy at the swinger party, though I’m sure he could switch personalities very quickly.
There also was the taxi dispatcher who heard the exchange between her and the presumed RH.

RSBM

This was exactly why I took issue with Harrison standing up there next to John Ray in that press conference (and in my estimation, why Tierney also took issue with it ). Harrison himself admitted during that PC that the task force was still working on vetting this information. It's a horrific mistake, imo , for the Police Commissioner to appear to give credence to any information that hasn't been thoroughly vetted. This is exactly why we now have people running around stating that it's a fact that AE hosted swinger parties, and that Karen Vergatta definitely was in the Heuermann house the night she went missing and that she ran out of there naked and scared for her life. If this information turns out to be false or mistaken, what do you think the defense is going to do with that ? What do you think AE's attorney will do with that ?

(Not aimed at you at all. I just used your post as a jumping off point. )
If they have a solid forensic case it should be fine.

There also was the taxi dispatcher who heard the exchange between her and the presumed RH.
Weren't there two incidents for the cab driver? Really scary as the presumed RH apparently had hunted down the cab driver after the Shannan Gilbert incidence and threatened the driver with a gun -- overheard by the dispatcher.

I think it will be really hard to predict how wide ranging this case will go. The investigation is driven by Suffolk County, NY (where so many of the bodies were found) and includes multiple agencies. Would not other counties and jurisdictions be responsible for launching their own investigations of any unsolved crimes in their areas?

I'm not sure what it might take for an investigation of this size to launch in South Carolina, nor who would pay for it.

I think LE in Atlantic City would have to make the call whether to take another look or if they already have and said "not our guy."

What tugs at my mind is John Bittrolff, still protesting his innocence but convicted of two murders in 2014, using DNA, then cutting edge, but I suspect he was charged and convicted without the intense study of digital data that is available now and incredible valuable in this Gilgo case.

IF Newsday is right about Sandra Costilla being considered an RH victim, then will it come out that Bittrolff was convicted because his DNA proved he had sex with the two women, but as his attorney said, "proof of sex is not proof of murder." Apparently Bittrolff's DNA was not found on Costilla or he would have been charged there too.

I don't think LE will look at "solved" crimes, but wonder about the Innocence Foundation getting involved. I would hope that IF the taskforce did stumble into evidence that RH was responsible for Bittrolff's two, it would look into it for justice's sake. They should have enough evidence to solve a lot of mysteries.

I am concerned with regard to Bittrolff's conviction, as well. I think there were two sources of DNA (one Bittrolff and an unknown other) presented in his trial. Also, sawdust/wood chips found on victims were associated with Bittrolff. But, now we have "woodworking/carpentry" related RH with these other victims. Definitely something to consider.

jmo

I am concerned with regard to Bittrolff's conviction, as well. I think there were two sources of DNA (one Bittrolff and an unknown other) presented in his trial. Also, sawdust/wood chips found on victims were associated with Bittrolff. But, now we have "woodworking/carpentry" related RH with these other victims. Definitely something to consider.

jmo
Right there with ya, Fredna. Add to that the fact that all of these victims were sex workers who may have had contact with more than one person in the course of the evening, and YIKES if you don't have every i dotted.

jmo
Totally agreed on this. NYPost: "John Bittrolff was one of Heuermann's 200-plus alleged Google searches related to the Gilgo Beach case, according to his bail application"
And yes, I can definitely picture RH in enraptured delight watching LE charging someone else for his murders, and "searching it up" to get a look-see. But it's equally possible Bittrolff was another area SK and RH was interested in his info for that reason. What happens with that will depend on the strength of the original case against Bittrolff, but based on statements I'm already seeing noted here made by Bittrolff's attorney at the time, that could become a serious concern.

Weren't there two incidents for the cab driver? Really scary as the presumed RH apparently had hunted down the cab driver after the Shannan Gilbert incidence and threatened the driver with a gun -- overheard by the dispatcher.
Yes. At the motel and a second incident on a dead end street where the driver was called to pick up a woman sw who was being harassed by someone who looked like Rex. Separate incidents. Some of us here at WS were able to find the motel on Google Maps. It’s closed now, but the description of it, the room, the parking lot and side street where the Rex looking attacker parked all fit the witness account. I haven’t read it ina while, but it was very scary.

Last edited:
"Tierney also said investigators gathered evidence of the suspect's internet search history, which included what he described as "torture *advertiser censored*" — "depictions of women being abused, being raped and being killed" — as well as photos of the victims, photos and locations of the victims' relatives, and over 200 searches for information about the investigation itself."

Shortly before each woman vanished, she had contact with a person using a "burner" cellphone without a verified identity, according to court records. The cellphones of two victims were used by the killer after their deaths, according to records.

On five occasions in the summer of 2009, someone in midtown Manhattan -- which is where Heuermann's office is located -- used Barthelemy's phone to make "taunting phone calls to Ms. Barthelemy's family members," court documents said. Some of the calls "resulted in a conversation between the caller, who was a male, and a relative of Melissa Barthelemy, in which the male caller admitted killing and sexually assaulting Ms. Barthelemy," documents said.

BBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member