Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Legal Aid Victoria, he's allowed 2 phone calls. There are exceptions though, so it's not definite whether he did I guess.

SOrry, he's allowed two calls, one of which must be to a legal council, he can't be ringing two friends, .. what I meant is, he can only have his solicitor in on his interview. But he is allowed, of course to talk privately with his solicitor. The phone call to a friend is a no privacy business. That is done with officers present. ( also, it's recorded, but his call to his solicitor is not . all and any calls between the accused and family, friends, enemies, bookmaker, library books overdue etc all are recorded but not any with his legal team. ) .

The thing is, the police can, and have no hesitation in doing so if it seems applicable , prevent you from ringing a friend.. the legal rep call is enshrined in statute but the call to a friend is a variable, under some conditions. Some arrests, like drunk and disorderly, they won't let you ring anyone for hours, until you sober up.

Last edited:
SOrry, he's allowed two calls, one of which must be to a legal council, he can't be ringing two friends, .. what I meant is, he can only have his solicitor in on his interview. But he is allowed, of course to talk privately with his solicitor. The phone call to a friend is a no privacy business. That is done with officers present. ( also, it's recorded, but his call to his solicitor is not . all and any calls between the accused and family, friends, enemies, bookmaker, library books overdue etc all are recorded but not any with his legal team. ) .

The thing is, the police can, and have no hesitation in doing so if it seems applicable , prevent you from ringing a friend.. the legal rep call is enshrined in statute but the call to a friend is a variable, under some conditions. Some arrests, like drunk and disorderly, they won't let you ring anyone for hours, until you sober up.
Police can always say they have concerns you'll call an accomplice or someone who can tamper with evidence and legally withdraw that option for you.
I guess we won't know if he was allowed that 2nd call, and who he called, if indeed he exercised that right.

Top forensic psychologist reveals shock new Samantha Murphy phone theory - and why her alleged killer could be struggling in jail
Tim Watson-Munro said it was 'obvious' that detectives had been 'tipped off' about the phone's location and that he was surprised to hear it wasn't damaged.
'They're not going to telegraph all the information they have. No, they'll selectively release information,' the psychologist said.
'I'm sure they've got a bigger game plan in mind, which we're not privy to.'

Nothing startling in that article IMHO.
Of course the phone could have been there for any amount of time, and there's always a chance of a tip off.
As for handling jail, it doesn't take a forensic psychologist to know that it's an adjustment, and that a high profile accused murderer will draw attention.
It's the Daily Mail after all, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I find it difficult to believe PS parents have moved out of state by choice. He is still their son and I would have thought at least one of his parents would have stayed in the vicinity to support him.
For all we know his parents are flying into Melbourne from wherever to visit him every couple of weeks. Covid is making a bit of a comeback in Australia at the moment, so they could wear masks and not attract notice.

For all we know his parents are flying into Melbourne from wherever to visit him every couple of weeks. Covid is making a bit of a comeback in Australia at the moment, so they could wear masks and not attract notice.

Besides,
it seems it is parents/family who are paying for the fancy lawyer.

And are following the case very closely if "the top notch" lawyer was hired as soon as the phone was found.

JMO

Besides,
it seems it is parents/family who are paying for the fancy lawyer.

And are following the case very closely if "the top notch" lawyer was hired as soon as the phone was found.

JMO
Do you have a link for this?

For all we know, the Victorian tax payers could be funding his defence.
We don't know when he became his barrister, either. It was announced on Monday, but it didn't say when the contract was operative.

He may have been on the case all this time, for all anyone knows, and the announcement a strategic move..

Nobody knows anything about what his parents think, do, say, want, or expect.

All MSM reports said the lawyer
was "hired" by the accused
NOT
'was appointed".

I see a difference,
even with my limited knowledge of English.

JMO

A person can hire a lawyer and apply to Legal Aid for the funding. Especially for a high profile murder case where they need top notch representation, and not a public defender.

They fill out an application for a grant of legal assistance. It is reviewed and considered. @Lemony has already provided a link where this lawyer represented someone pro bono ... at a nil or reduced fee.

imo

Mr Galbally could have, and probably would have been 'hired' by Legal Aid.

Everyone knows that is a contract that is done every day, all over Australia. Mr Gabally, or any Barrister for that matter, does not do stuff for free. His bill is paid for by Legal Aid, IF Legal Aid has agreed to grant Mr Stephenson Legal aid, AND Legal Aid has appointed Mr Galbally to the position.,

The nuance is in the reporting, not in the action occurring.

A person can hire a lawyer and apply to Legal Aid for the funding. Especially for a high profile murder case where they need top notch representation, and not a public defender.

They fill out an application for a grant of legal assistance. It is reviewed and considered. @Lemony has already provided a link where this lawyer represented someone pro bono ... at a nil or reduced fee.

imo
oh"SNAP" South!!!!

imo

Lucky him!

First financed by Mum&Dad
and now (according to OP)
by good folks of Victoria :D

Only the best for the accused!

It is highly likely that Mr S has qualified for Legal Aid, not on anything to do with his financial situation but the fact that what he has been charged with attracts a terrible life long imprisonment, and Legal Aid prioritises those kind of cases, where a long prison sentence is a possibility/ probability.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli