VA VA - Norfolk, BlkMale 18-25, UP6626, drowned, clothes, shoes, Jun'81

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Here is a potential match, Danny Lee Mitchell: Missing Person Case. Since Mitchell has been excluded from other cases it would appear there is some basis for comparison, but I am not sure what it is. The problems with this match would be that Mitchell went missing from Ohio and a bit over a year before discovery of the UID.

Rule outs for John Doe
MP6134
Raymond
Green
11/06/1978
Fulton
GA

MP35183
Furman
Byrd
06/28/1968
Cuyahoga
OH

MP4093
Joseph
Edwards
07/12/1964
Concordia
LA

MP19676
Willie
Kornegay
06/01/1980
Wake
NC

MP10901
Leonard
Johnson Jr
03/01/1975
New York
NY

MP22424
Willie
Clark
05/01/1978
Baltimore
MD

2407UMVA.jpg
2407UMVA1.jpg

Unidentified Male
  • Date of Discovery: June 10, 1981
  • Location of Discovery: Norfolk, Norfolk County, Virginia
  • Estimated Date of Death: A week prior
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
  • Cause of Death: Drowning

Physical Description
** Listed information is approximate

• Estimated Age: 16-25 years old
  • Race: Black
  • Height: 5'5" to 5'7"
  • Weight: 164 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Black, kinky and styled in a short afro.
  • Eye Color: Brown

• Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wore a beard and possibly had a moustache.
  • Dentals: Available. Had several fillings.
  • Fingerprints: Not available.
  • DNA: Not available.
Clothing & Personal Items
  • Clothing: Tan shirt, short leather jacket, brown corduroy pants, black socks, and brown shoes.
  • Jewelry: Unknown
  • Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Case History
A sailor working onboard the USS Mount Whitney found the victim's body in the Elizabeth River near Pier 25 at the Norfolk Naval Base.

Reece Brown – The Charley Project

Reece Brown

• brown_reece.jpg
Brown, circa 1976

• Missing Since10/27/1976
  • Missing FromLimestone, Maine
  • ClassificationMissing
  • SexMale
  • RaceBlack
  • Age22 years old
  • Height and Weight5'8, 147 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American male. Black hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Brown was last seen at Loring Air Force Base in Limestone, Maine on October 27, 1976. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.
Investigating Agency

Since there is no DNA, does this mean they can only exclude MP's whom have dentals on file? Hoping there is a possibility that there is DNA on clothes. Maybe this is a case for @othram? Someone somewhere is missing him.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this John Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

Tan shirt, short leather jacket, brown corduroy pants, black socks, and brown shoes.
That's a lot of "heavier" clothing to me - leather jacket, corduroy pants. The avg temp there in the weeks and days leading to discovery included highs in the 80s-90s. The clothing and PMI is throwing me and don't really seem to be in sync with each other.

I'm wondering if the PMI is not off, then
- perhaps there over Memorial Day (May 25, 1981) but from a colder climate?
- perhaps recently discharged from Navy (or other service in the area) and wearing out what they wore in?

(also, many from other countries come to the US to do training in a military branch - when my former was at a variety of special training programs in Georgia, there were quite a few out of country individuals there - for ex: Malawi)

Hoping they checked against recently discharged and "AWOL" service people; I believe this would have or would need to be done through CID or NCIS type agency - they would have the "awol" individual records.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torontoperson
Back