MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a def Boston accent and I was horrified, I know people could say, ohh that Boston accentttt and mock it.. (as they doooooooooooooooo, in good sport I'M SURE on here. haha) but for someone from here with it, him, but not that pronounced as lots, to use FALL RIVER as a putdown, talk about pecking order of class via accents.. oh cringggggge. hahaha. It just showed me EXTRA EXTRA what a pea brain he is in society and sheltered. SO immature a statement to even think worth mentioning at that time.. so weird.. Oh, actually, my avitar is sideways shot of sky and Boston Habah. ;)
Curious about Proctor's reference to a Fall River accent, I found the linked MSM that added some clarity and/or examples. <modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
He's from CANTON. A Bulldog for life. And far superior to people a few miles to the south.

I think Read's from Taunton actually, which is less than 20 miles to the south if you go Bay Rd/Bay Street.
Taunton has it's own 'tone', some areas do when I think of it and brought it up, ha. Most likely if born and bred and stick around same people with same tone/'accent' on things. She hadn't I'd think with school and business/would be mixing in with people from all over. I def know what he meant by Fall River accent and screamed due to right, Bulldog for life, haha (H.S. football team). UGH it's just that it was a description as 'no class'. HIM! There are levels, stronggg or slight or on some words. I lived away for a long time, when talking on phone eventually, family and friends from 'out heah' would comment as what? I HAD tricky time, squint my eyes and all that, to understand some things THEY'D be saying. Once back for a while, slowwwwly it came back as that is because I live and hear all the time, daily, the 'accent', so what goes in your ear come outta ya mouth. Not hard core though as when I talk to my brutha for instance, eeesh. haha.

Maybe they were introduced by her good friend JM. Or maybe not. Maybe that's how he knew about all of her medical related stuff, too.

I'm not sure he ever met her, but it's a safe bet Jen McCabe spilled whatever she knew about Karen. What a mean, horrid person she is. I've never seen testimony like that.

Here's a screenshot from CourtTV after Karen has applied the brakes on the Lexus.
<modsnip> See where the red is <modsnip> in the screenshot I posted?

I have attached a link to the full video for your convenience.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.07.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.07.32 PM.png
    587.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a def Boston accent and I was horrified, I know people could say, ohh that Boston accentttt and mock it.. (as they doooooooooooooooo, in good sport I'M SURE on here. haha) but for someone from here with it, him, but not that pronounced as lots, to use FALL RIVER as a putdown, talk about pecking order of class via accents.. oh cringggggge. hahaha. It just showed me EXTRA EXTRA what a pea brain he is in society and sheltered. SO immature a statement to even think worth mentioning at that time.. so weird.. Oh, actually, my avitar is sideways shot of sky and Boston Habah. ;)

Some of the accents in this trial were so heavy (imo) that I wondered if someone from say, the west coast who was unfamiliar with the accent, would understand well.
I also noticed the mention of Fall River for what it was. Such a stupid thing to say, among the laundry list of other things.

Something I believe every person watching this trial should have access to:

IMG_7645.jpeg

IMG_7646.jpeg

;)

Last edited:
It's a common technique to overcharge and still keep the lesser charge in hopes the defendant will strike a deal to plead guilty to the lesser charge. It gives the prosecution more leverage to avoid a trial while still getting a conviction.
Ok I get that. However is that still on the plate for the jury, can they find her guilty of a lesser charge? Or is that totally off the table now?

Taunton has it's own 'tone', some areas do when I think of it and brought it up, ha. Most likely if born and bred and stick around same people with same tone/'accent' on things. She hadn't I'd think with school and business/would be mixing in with people from all over. I def know what he meant by Fall River accent and screamed due to right, Bulldog for life, haha (H.S. football team). UGH it's just that it was a description as 'no class'. HIM! There are levels, stronggg or slight or on some words. I lived away for a long time, when talking on phone eventually, family and friends from 'out heah' would comment as what? I HAD tricky time, squint my eyes and all that, to understand some things THEY'D be saying. Once back for a while, slowwwwly it came back as that is because I live and hear all the time, daily, the 'accent', so what goes in your ear come outta ya mouth. Not hard core though as when I talk to my brutha for instance, eeesh. haha.

No offense to any Canton townies, but about 5 years after high school I worked with a woman from Canton. I grew up in a town in the Hockomock league so we'd play them in sports. When I told her where I was from, she said (think Valley Girl meets South Boston accent) Oh.My.God. We used to feel soooo sorry for you guys. Your town could like barely afford your equipment!" Like Canton was Dover. Or Wellesley.

This case brought back that old memory.

Most likely a State Statute that requires any felony charge to also go before a grand jury.

Personally, I'm not a fan of grand jury indictments because they replace a preliminary hearing where the public gets to learn the State's evidence against the defendant, and where the Court rules whether or not sufficient evidence for the case bound over for trial. IME, criminal charges by Information and Complaint are more prevalent in the Western states.
Thank you.

Ok I get that. However is that still on the plate for the jury, can they find her guilty of a lesser charge? Or is that totally off the table now?

I'm pretty sure it's on the table. She's also has an OUI charge, which I thought might be the only compromise conviction. But after Proctor, I'm not sure the jury will even give the prosecution that one. Some of the press people sitting across from them in that tiny courtroom said the female jurors looked outraged. And there are 10 of them.

The tail light is made to highly reflect light- any red left remaining will reflect & compensate for the missing red when hit with light
I took notice to Karen in that video, watch her as she’s backing up. She totally turns, and no reaction to bumping. Just thought it was interesting.

Look at these two side by side
Looks like snow. I am not going to assume the rear window is missing.

The CourtTv shows the taillight is intact. Hard to dismiss it IMO

ETA video:

Watch in particular how the taillight lights up as KR applies the brake.

It certainly is not shattered as Proctor would like to have anyone believe. Deep down he doesn't even believe it.

Last edited:
I'm from Chicago, so I've been teased a bit from time to time about our accent too! LOL!

Oh - interesting! Thanks

I’m wondering though how big the “ not matching anything” glass was found on the bumper and what sort of debris usually ends up on a bumper
I may go for a walk later…and look at my neighbors with SUV’s bumpers

Except, one of the pieces of glass on the bumper matches a piece of glass that was found at 34 Fairview.

So if the two matched pieces of glass (one on the bumper, one at the scene) didn't come from a collision with John, how did they get there? Could a piece of glass that was sitting on the bumper have slid off? Personally, I find it unlikely. It was Michael Proctor who claimed he found that piece of glass at the scene. (The only piece of glass he personally found, according to him.)

Here's a screenshot from CourtTV after Karen has applied the brakes on the Lexus.
<modsnip> See where the red is <modsnip> in the screenshot I posted?

I have attached a link to the full video for your convenience.

Looking at this, I do not see a shattered tail light. In fact, it looks to be very intact!

Except, one of the pieces of glass on the bumper matches a piece of glass that was found at 34 Fairview.

So if the two matched pieces of glass (one on the bumper, one at the scene) didn't come from a collision with John, how did they get there? Could a piece of glass that was sitting on the bumper have slid off? Personally, I find it unlikely. It was Michael Proctor who claimed he found that piece of glass at the scene. (The only piece of glass he personally found, according to him.)

Agree. Makes sense. He likely deleted the Ring footage at John's and the library footage which would have shown the actual condition of KR's taillight. Oh, what a tangled web we weave....

I'm not sure which is better or whether there's a difference, but I was on a grand jury in MA years ago. High profile case. We declined to indict. The actual killer was found via DNA a view a few years later.
Unlike the Grand Jury, during a preliminary hearing, the Defendant gets to question the evidence and the witnesses against him/her. And the Defendant can also present their own witnesses. In a Grand Jury, any evidence by the prosecution goes uncontested -- hence even a ham sandwich gets indicted.

Also, if a preliminary hearing is held, the public doesn't have to wait until Trial to learn about the most damning evidence since it's a public hearing (not secret like a GJ) and where the Probable Cause Affidavit (PCA) is generally unsealed following the preliminary hearing. MOO

Exactly!! There was way shady stuff that happened after that party. Why did he go in to work drunk?
And why did he say he was doing "administrative duties" such as moving vehicles in the lot (while drunk) - was that to cover for the duration he spent outside making sure no evidence was found on his truck/plow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove