SC SC - Piedmont, BlkMale 20-30, UP66344, wrapped in a gasoline soaked shirts, bed sheet, Jan'75

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

recognizable face, no photo

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number75-0002
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-30
Estimated Year of Death1975
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 6"-6' 0"(66-72 inches) , Estimated
Weight160-200 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundJanuary 4, 1975
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 11, 2020
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
LocationPiedmont, South Carolina 29673
CountyGreenville County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of RecoveryThis unidentified black male believed to be in his 20's was found in a ditch on a dirt road by a hunter. The body was wrapped in a gasoline soaked shirts, bed sheets and a bedspread had two belts tied around the neck. Blunt force trauma was noted about the head. The body was burning when it was found. The death may have occurred at another location.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains--
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair DescriptionMedium Afro Hair Style
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair DescriptionThin mustache and a goatee.
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
Item
Description
Other distinctive physical characteristic
Upper right capped front tooth.

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Brown polyester pants, a blue work shirt, white socks, and tennis shoes.
On the Body

Clothing
A brown corduroy coat was found near the body.
Near the Body

My first reaction was the same. After all these years I'm surprised there been nothing about it. Some old newspapers anyone?

Just my googling. I found a news article about a murdered couple in piedmont sc by the clan in 1979

I think dentals would probably rule him out, but this reminds me a lot of Oscar Nedd’s disappearance from New York. It’s also quite a ways away, but the person thought to have killed him was found in New Mexico a short time later. So he may have traveled that way. I’m not sure why Doe Network lists his date of disappearance as January 7, 1975 when his sister last spoke to him on the first.
http://charleyproject.org/case/oscar-james-nedd
Oscar James Nedd – The Charley Project
upload_2020-9-22_11-5-21.jpeg

I think dentals would probably rule him out, but this reminds me a lot of Oscar Nedd’s disappearance from New York. It’s also quite a ways away, but the person thought to have killed him was found in New Mexico a short time later. So he may have traveled that way. I’m not sure why Doe Network lists his date of disappearance as January 7, 1975 when his sister last spoke to him on the first.
View attachment 264722

I am interested in this MP/UID too. It puzzles me that Oscar has yet to be found. Or that the man who killed him has never been charged. At least its my belief that his nephew is responsible.

It's interesting that there's a similar murder that occurred in a similar fashion in 1975 that I just looked at yesterday --
NC - Near Iredell & Davis Co line, BlkMale 25-40, UP998, 'Seafarer' pants, belt w/buckle, Sept'75
#UP998 - NamUs

This victim was found on September 19, 1975, wrapped in blankets and burning on unpaved rural road.
This victim was also an African-American male.

Excerpt from linked newspaper article:
"The North Carolina Medical Examiner's office in Chapel Hill revealed by an autopsy that the man had been hit in the head with a sharp object and shot before the body was burned. The body was wrapped in material, probably doused in some sort of flammable fluid, and set afire"

I wonder if there was anything associated between these two events. MOO.

Attachments

• Newspaper.jpg
    Newspaper.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 3
Identified as Oscar Nedd of New York
Officials began comparing notes and reviewing case files. Further into the investigation led investigators to identify the victim as Oscar James Nedd, of White Plains, New York.
Deputies learned Nedd worked for a company called Kimco in New York. When his body was discovered in 1975, he was wearing a shirt with the company’s logo on it.

View attachment 264722
@MadMcGoo, you were absolutely correct (circa '20), this is Oscar Ned!

Great news... fingers crossed that this pays off.

Here is a podcast link I found with a bit more info. Just a warning though, it does include the PM photo.

Murder, etc Live Episode #1: Mr. X
By Kerry Breen June 11, 2024
''The Greenville County Sheriff credits a true crime podcast — "Murder, Etc." — for drawing attention to the case, which dates back to 1975 when the remains of "Mr. X" were found by a hunter in the South Carolina city. The remains were "found wrapped in a sheet and smoldering, indicating that they had been set on fire," the sheriff's department said in a news release Monday. The death was ruled a homicide, with the man subject to blunt force trauma and strangulation. Police were unable to identify him despite "numerous outreach efforts over the years."

Then in 2020, Greenville Sheriff Hobart Lewis "revamped" the town's cold case unit to focus on re-examining cases with new technology.''

Glad to see this young man finally identified. It was long suspected and mentioned im this thread that it was infact a possible match. I wonder what the LE came closer to finding any suspects or theories why he was killed ended up in SC and by who. Someone mentioned it could have been a hate crime but without reading further into it I have my doubts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back