Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not one to ever re-post something, but quite a few threads back I posted what I thought was a very curious map and timeline of police activities very close to where the phone was discovered. I was hoping for a little more comment on it. So one last shot.

3 months prior to the discovery of SM's phone, the police helicopter landed just 2kms from where they would eventually find it in the dam. What's unusual is, the helicopter landed for at least an hour on a nearby farm.

Then one month later, a search base is established not far from the helicopter landing site.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this, however the short distances between these events spanning months I find remarkable.

View attachment 509727
IMHO

They must be going off of data on PS’s phone or from his ute to be searching like this.
Maybe both- maybe he is just that stupid.

They stated very early on the general area where her phone last pinged.
It must have given a signal for quite a while after it hit the water.

If PS did have his phone with him and he drove his own ute with SM’s body in it they may have been able to overlay various signals (2 or 3) to find the phone.

I recently dropped my iPhone in the deep end of my pool (knocked in when trying to save a moth) I fished it out from 20’ deep several minutes later. I was surprised it worked fine after that. They are making these phones a lot more water resistant than they used to be. At that depth my phone would have pinged for at least 30 minutes (since it had battery life) maybe longer

IMHO

They must be going off of data on PS’s phone or from his ute to be searching like this.
Maybe both- maybe he is just that stupid.

They stated very early on the general area where her phone last pinged.
It must have given a signal for quite a while after it hit the water.

If PS did have his phone with him and he drove his own ute with SM’s body in it they may have been able to overlay various signals (2 or 3) to find the phone.

I recently dropped my iPhone in the deep end of my pool (knocked in when trying to save a moth) I fished it out from 20’ deep several minutes later. I was surprised it worked fine after that. They are making these phones a lot more water resistant than they used to be. At that depth my phone would have pinged for at least 30 minutes (since it had battery life) maybe longer
Wonder if the police have PS’s phone in their possession.
Seems like something is interfering with them finding Sam’s body, and they are circling and circling even with phone data, tip offs and resources at hand. Wonder if he moved her more than once and his movements are chaotic.

Yet no body. Why?

It is so strange that they do searches for 1 or 2 days in one area
and then completely change the place and again search for 1 or 2 days.
Those searches finish abruptly, even when there is still daylight.

There are long periods between the searches.

They just seem to "jump" from one place to another in seemingly superficial searches - like in Enfield Park,
they apparently searched only a small area and finished early
(without success it seems).

All the searches look to be "targeted".

Well, that has been my impression so far.
But, of course, I might see it wrongly.

JMO

Last edited:
Yet no body. Why?
Given that the body is most likely not in the current search area, the police need to consider expanding the search zone or obtaining additional clues to better pinpoint the location. Another concern is the condition of the body. Although unlikely, it’s possible that the body could have been burned (better say it's not impossible), or it may have decomposed if hidden far away in a shallow grave. If insects have been excluded from the site, decomposition would be much slower, as maggots are among the most efficient decomposers of flesh. In optimal conditions, an exposed body can be reduced to bone in about 10 days. However, a body buried at a depth of 1.2 meters can retain much of its tissue for up to a year. It's crucial to locate the watch as soon as possible, as it could provide vital clues.

Last edited:
What would cause the court date to be delayed?
Two weeks prior the defence receive the brief of evidence. If it is large, maybe they won't have had time to go over it all. We won't know much at that stage anyway, most likely. Look at the trial of Baden Clay. Took years. They have to agree on what evidence can go to trial etc. Unless accused pleads guilty. Then we most likely won't ever know much.

Crikey, I typically think of myself as a patient person but since joining this website I am coming to connect with another side…. :rolleyes: :oops: :eek:

The whole legal process is sooooo drawn out….

I’m wondering how other WSs remain so patient when it’s likely to be so long until we get any answers? Or is that why so many WSs follow so many different cases at once?

I admire you all for your tenacity… :)

Mine is dwindling I fear…. :eek:
Baden Clay. Justice for Allison. But he will eventually get out and Allison will sadly still be dead.
Peter Cowan finally in prison for murdering Daniel Morcombe.
Follow Toyah Cordingly's murder. Ongoing

The police don't always find a missing/murdered person's body, despite having relevant phones, CCTV, and other intel - and searching everywhere they can think of.
The perpetrator can act alone, and the police still can't find the body. And not through lack of trying.

Eg:
A bush walker found Karen Ristevski, 8 months later.
Greg Lynn led the police to the remains of Russell Hill and Carol Clay (what was left of them), 20 months later.
Adrian Bayley led the police to where he buried Jill Meagher, 6 days later.
The police searched everywhere for Novy Chardon, they even dug up a car that had been buried, Novy is still missing.
A kayaker found Allison Baden Clay, 10 days later.

Last edited:
Im still wondering if someone other than PS may have been involved in moving the body…
The police are keeping everything close to their chests. The police are only letting the media know about any news, on what they want to get out.
I think some of the searches were staged. Possibly her phone staged to draw others out. Someone is talking to police and location for that exact dam, whether that is the accused murderer or not, the police will keep that quiet. I think there is more CCTV footage of Samantha in the morning, but has not been released to the public and inconsistencies of the time she ran/disappeared, to what her actual plans were for later on etc. But we won't be told anything at this stage

Why? How could the watch help?

The Apple watch provides valuable data such as GPS tracking, heart rate monitoring, step count, fall detection, environmental noise levels (which can be useful as it might log noises from a car or someone shouting), air quality, screen interactions and some other things. This comprehensive data can help piece together what’s happened, even if the watch is found away from the body.

"Nigel Phair from UNSW's Institute for Cyber Security,
a former Australian Federal Police officer, said
'the more I think about it'
it's likely police are considering all possibilities,
including the possible involvement of more than one person in her disappearance.

Phair claimed
'as every day goes on,
it's less and less likely'
detectives will ever find the mother-of-two's body,
five months into their investigation.

'The phone was obviously the interesting one because the assumption was that the body would have been in that lake, near where they found it.

I'm guessing the divers have gone through that multiple times and haven't found anything'.

He said that while police can essentially keep the case open for as long as there's a will to continue searching,
it's likely that as little progress continues to be made,
'search efforts will be scaled down'
and resources redistributed to 'other priorities'.

Asked if based on the information publicly available, it seemed that the investigation had made any real progress since the discovery of Murphy's phone, Phair said:
'No, not at all'.

'The thing is, they've charged the person,
they would have to have been given a date to hand the brief of evidence into the court for a subsequent committal',
he said.

'So they're going to require a lot of resources to build that brief and obviously,
they're trying to get as much corroborating evidence to go with that as possible'.

'But I suppose there's a difference between what we hear in the media and what might be going on in the background —
it might be two different things.

So I'm hopeful
that they're they've got some irons in fires that they're looking at'."

Last edited:
The Apple watch provides valuable data such as GPS tracking, heart rate monitoring, step count, fall detection, environmental noise levels (which can be useful as it might log noises from a car or someone shouting), air quality, screen interactions and some other things. This comprehensive data can help piece together what’s happened, even if the watch is found away from the body.
If she paired her watch locations with her phone locations, police will be able to see who she has shared her data and maps with, they will have checked all this as well on the accused murderer phone as well

"Nigel Phair from UNSW's Institute for Cyber Security,
a former Australian Federal Police officer, said
'the more I think about it'
including the possible involvement of more than one person in her disappearance.

Phair claimed
'as every day goes on,
it's less and less likely'
detectives will ever find the mother-of-two's body,
five months into their investigation.

'The phone was obviously the interesting one because the assumption was that the body would have been in that lake, near where they found it.

I'm guessing the divers have gone through that multiple times and haven't found anything'.

He said that while police can essentially keep the case open for as long as there's a will to continue searching,
it's likely that as little progress continues to be made,
'search efforts will be scaled down'
and resources redistributed to 'other priorities'.

Asked if based on the information publicly available, it seemed that the investigation had made any real progress since the discovery of Murphy's phone, Phair said:
'No, not at all'.

'The thing is, they've charged the person,
they would have to have been given a date to hand the brief of evidence into the court for a subsequent committal',
he said.

'So they're going to require a lot of resources to build that brief and obviously,
they're trying to get as much corroborating evidence to go with that as possible'.

'But I suppose there's a difference between what we hear in the media and what might be going on in the background —
it might be two different things.

So I'm hopeful
that they're they've got some irons in fires that they're looking at'."

To add...
This guy sounds
'no nonsense, and down to earth' ;)
And he is the 1st one
(from MSM reports)
to mention the possibility of others involved.

Quote:
"The more I think about it
including the possible involvement of more than one person in her disappearance."

Interesting.

JMO

Last edited:
That's very helpful info, made me wonder that in the scenario she was hit with a vehicle her watch would have done the emergency call request we were discussing much earlier in this thread, if it was cancelled by the alleged perp before it went direct to a 000 emergency call this would also be recorded in the watch data hey... Even if she was struck with something such as a branch or weapon unexpectedly from behind it could have recorded the environmental noise... Correlate that to her heart rate data and what not... Hmm the possibilities of evidence on that watch

Fair point. I most certainly see your concerns re the potential danger of cults developing in this kind of context (even though this is actually diametrically opposite to the ideals encompassed in my vision). I acknowledge I am an idealist, and the unfortunate reality is it’s very easy for anyone with corrupt or untoward intentions to sour anything. I tend to agree that as cynical as it may sound, some people, systems and processes are very far gone, and will take a lot of work to reshape and reinvent…. :rolleyes: :oops: :(

JMO
Violence against women, and why it occurs is such a multi-faceted issue, which requires a multi-pronged approach IMO.

I stumbled upon an interesting BBC radio programme this week and the topic it got me wondering.

A year ago, primary school parents' association group combined with the head teachers of all primary schools in Greystones, areland, invited parents to sign a voluntary pact not to buy a smartphone for their child before they moved up to secondary school. (Usually age 12 in Ireland.)

This initiative resulted from concerns about stress and depression levels of students and teachers.

The documentary examines the results of the initiative.

I found the comments from a male assistant head-teacher particularly interesting (if somewhat alarming.) He is passionately demanding a culture change around phone use for older students too, warning parents that although they think they are giving their children access to the internet, they are really giving the internet access to their children.

He claimed (paraphrasing) that a serious problem with violence against women has arisen due to young children having access to *advertiser censored*. Many young girls believe that it's quite normal/OK for women to be slapped and treated disrespectfully, and so do the male pupils.

I'm interested to know what fellow Websleuthers believe regarding exposure to *advertiser censored* for young children - whether beliefs which they resultantly form have been/could be a factor in the perpetration and acceptance of violence against women.

TIA for your views.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back