Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge is essentially telling the jury that all the circumstantial evidence followed their deaths but was not the cause, but the way he's worded everything, I feel like he's not so subtly advising them that the prosecution hasn't proven their case.

I don't believe the judge is subtly advising the jury that the prosecution haven't proven their case. I think what the judge is basically saying is that the prosecution can't use something in their closing argument that they say was implied when they questioned Lynn on the stand. It was the prosecution's choice to ask Lynn questions in cross examination. They didn't have to and I don't believe their case really relies on Lynn's courtroom responses either.

I think sometimes context can be lost between the courtroom, media and the consumer.

JMO

I know nothing about guns, (or hunting), but realistically, if someone "hunts", wouldn't just one suffice?
Perhaps I'm being a tad mean - how about two? (For different distances maybe...)

GL had two guns with him on that trip, a rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun.
GL owns many firearms -which is fine, some people just like guns.

I discussed this case with my uncle recently as he is involved with sport shooting clay targets. He showed me an impressive arsenal of guns, both shotgun and rifles. Some, he said, he would probably never use. He said the shooting club members sometimes barter and trade weapons. For context, his firearms are all registered, stored in locked cabinets, with ammo stored separately in a safe. He clearly likes guns, but he doesn't believe in shooting living things, he says.

I showed him some of the evidence from Lynn's hearing, such at this shotgun, which is a Barathrum SP-12 said to be responsible for Carol Clay's death.

B--SP-12.jpg

I asked him - "Is this something you'd use for deer?"
"Not really."
"What would you use it for?"
"Probably pigs or posing?"

When asked to elaborate, he said, "This isn't so different to the traditional 12 Gauge shotguns I showed you earlier, it's just made to look like an assault rifle. These kind of things are popular at the moment, probably with people who want to run around the bush pretending they're Rambo."

I also asked him if he would ever have a shot gun and ammunition easily accessible in his car.
"Absolutely not, not ever. I unload them and remove the bolts completely because safetys are notoriously unreliable, and I store them separately from the guns. I figure then if someone steals one, it wont be functional. I keep the ammo separate too."

Just food for thought from a responsible gun owner.

The more I read about the closing arguments and judge’s instructions the more I’m wondering if there will even be a verdict after all of this..? I would be thoroughly unsurprised if the jury is hung in the end.

Also, now that I’ve seen that article about the possibility of a serial killer in the bush and heard about all of Lynn’s weapons my brain is doing some serious mental gymnastics lol :eek::D jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rouark50