Still Missing KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #4 *arrest in 2023*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Shay McAlister

1f6a8.png
JOSEPH LAWSON UPDATE:
If you saw the VINE notification that Joseph Lawson was released from custody, here's what happened... Lawson was serving time at the Kentucky State Reformatory for a previous conviction, but that time will be served out in the coming weeks. He was moved to the Grayson County Detention Center this morning and is currently in custody.

Shay McAlister

1f6a8.png
JOSEPH LAWSON UPDATE:
If you saw the VINE notification that Joseph Lawson was released from custody, here's what happened... Lawson was serving time at the Kentucky State Reformatory for a previous conviction, but that time will be served out in the coming weeks. He was moved to the Grayson County Detention Center this morning and is currently in custody.

Can someone refresh my memory, please, on JL's current bond amount for the CR case? Thank you!

WDKY reported that the “Nancy Grace” episode of interest is “Dr. Sievers Murder Investigation Developments; Kentucky Woman Vanishes.” During the broadcast, Grace conducted a phone interview with Houck. Rogers’ mother and father also appeared in the episode

The three suspects are scheduled to stand trial in February. The prosecution and defense agreed last week that the high-profile trials should be moved out of Nelson County

“Joining me right now, in addition to Crystal`s mom and dad, Tommy and Sherry, with me is her boyfriend, I guess I would say fiance. She is divorcing her last husband. She has a young child by Brooks Houck, who formerly ran for sheriff in that jurisdiction,” Grace said. “He has taken a polygraph. He has not hired lawyers. He has allowed police to search his property and says that he is on call at any time police want to talk to him. Mr. Houck, thank you for being with us.”

“So, Brooks, you go to bed, and she is still playing games on her phone. The next morning, around 8:00, you noticed that she’s missing. Did you report her missing?” Grace said.

“I was not in the least little bit alarmed in any way, shape, or form,” Houck said. “We have had a stressed relationship at times and one of the ways that Crystal has always chose to cope or deal with that is by going to a young woman’s name, Sabrina, that is her cousin, her dad’s brother’s daughter, whom she is very close to, she spent the night there on several occasions.”

“But they did tell me it does mean that I wasn’t lying, or I didn’t pass it, or I didn’t fail it. They just ruled it inconclusive, and that is exactly the way it stands,” Houck said. “I have been 100 percent completely honest with everyone. I have been 100 percent cooperative in everything that has been asked of me. I have not asked for any kind of legal advice or assistance or an attorney of any nature. I’m 100 percent completely innocent in this and I have exhausted my efforts with the law enforcement agencies to gather all the facts necessary to allow me to have a clean name again. That’s very important to me. I have not responded to a lot of the negativity and all of this animosity because I want the emphasis to remain on Crystal’s safe return home. And that’s where I want it to stay focused in that area rather than dealing with any of the animosity between the families.”

Shay McAlister

1f6a8.png
JOSEPH LAWSON UPDATE:

I can not access this article - does it say next hearing for ALL on 6/13/24? That is what I have in my notes. TIA! if anyone can help!

I can not access this article - does it say next hearing for ALL on 6/13/24? That is what I have in my notes. TIA! if anyone can help!
Sorry for that, all I see is that the trial is scheduled to begin in February 2025.

Sorry for that, all I see is that the trial is scheduled to begin in February 2025.

Okay - I shall wait a few days to see if anyone else posts some articles on the last hearing & then move them to 6/13/24 for pending motions hearing.

Dang - all the links to articles you posted - no access for me... stupid EU rules!! :(

@Niner
The next follow-up hearing was set for June 13, in response to the Lawsons’ motion for immunity and whether the men would be tried separately.

So - the next hearing 6/13 will be ruling on the red bold? TIA!

Did the judge make a ruling on the Grace interview? Probably not, eh? :)

Dang - all the links to articles you posted - no access for me... stupid EU rules!! :(

So - the next hearing 6/13 will be ruling on the red bold? TIA!

Did the judge make a ruling on the Grace interview? Probably not, eh? :)
IIRC, the judge ruled that the interview could be used only for/against defendant BH. moo

I was in Kentucky last week. When we were driving home (states away) I caught a glimpse of a small sign on the side of a highway (maybe even the Bluegrass Parkway, IDR) for this lady. Knew she must have a thread here.

I'm sad to learn she's still technically missing but happy to learn she may be getting some justice soon.

I read all 40 pages.

My summary:

I wouldn't use the phrase "crystal clear" in my motion if I were Defense Counsel in the MURDER of a Crystal.

And....

Whether to try all three together or sever, I say only this: HHours, like any defendant, has the right to a fair trial before a jury of his peers and toward that end, he is entitled to a vigorous defense. He isn't, however, entitled to ANY and/or EVERY defense. The evidence is stacked against him. That's the facts. Being tried separately so the defense can misconstrue the admissions of other parties? That just smells to me.

Maybe it's how it's done. But I don't have to like it.

JMO

Thanks for taking one for the team! I only made it to page 3 and decided I would revisit it later.

Pretty sure the DA kept pushing for all of the truth, and did not relent until he got it. We did get to see some of those transcripts. But at the end of the day, the defense doesn't have much to work with except 40 pages of "its unfair" and we all know BH is guilty.

Thursday, June 13th:
*Motions Hearing for all (@ 9am ET) - KY – Crystal M. Rogers (35) (reported missing July 3, 2015; car (with flat tire) was found July 5, 2015 on Bluegrass Parkway near mile marker 14 with keys in ignition & her belongings (phone & purse) in car, Bardstown). – *Brooks William Houck (33 @ time of crime/41/now 42) arrested, charged & indicted (9/27/23) & arraigned (10/5/23) with felony murder & tampering with physical evidence. Bond $10M CASH Only! Reduction of bond (to $500K) denied (10/9/23). KY Supreme Court denied (3/12/24) review of bond reduction. Was transferred (9/27/23) from Nelson County jail to Hardin County Detention Center. Was transferred (12/13/23) to Oldham County Detention Center.
*Steven Eugene Lawson (48 @ time of crime/53) indicted, arrested & charged (12/7/23) & arraigned (12/21/23) with conspiracy to commit murder & tampering with physical evidence. $500K Cash only bond. Bond reduced to $250K (1/9/24). He's currently incarcerated in Harrison County, IN. Lawson was serving time at the Kentucky State Reformatory for a previous conviction, but that time will be served out in the coming weeks. He was moved to the Grayson County Detention Center this morning (5/3/24) & is currently in custody.
*Joseph Stephen Lee Allen Lawson (24 @ time of crime/32/now 33) arrested, indicted & charged (7/24/23) with criminal conspiracy to commit murder & charged (6/21/23) with complicity in tampering with physical evidence. Bond $50K unsecured bond (tampering) & $550K Cash bond (conspiracy). Bond reduced (2/12/24) to $250K Cash bond. Plead not guilty. Held in Grayson County Kentucky Detention Center.
Trial set to begin on 2/10/25. Trial will be held in Christian County.
Nelson Circuit Court Judge Charles Simms III presiding. Special prosecutor Shane Young. Houck’s defense attorneys Brian Butler, Michael Denbow & Jennifer Henry Jackson. S. Lawson’s defense attorney Theodore Lavit & J. Lawson’s defense attorney Kevin Coleman.

Case & Court info from 12/7/23 (S Lawson), from 7/23/20 (Houck & J. Lawson) thru 4/19/24 reference post #498 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...y-3-july-2015-4-arrest-in-2023.690447/page-25

4/25/24 Update: The attorneys & prosecutor on the case met this week ^ agreed to move the trial to Christian County, KY- about two hours from Bardstown. They will now give this suggestion to the judge, who will make the final decision. Hearing set on 6/13/24 @ 9am on pending motions. While Prosecutor Shane Young has pushed for all three defendants to be tried together, arguing that the charges rely on many of the same key details, all three defense attorneys have requested separate trials. Both sides will be given additional time to lay out their arguments in writing before a 6/13/24 motions hearing scheduled to address the issue.
5/1/24 Update: Status hearing held. According to WLKY, a memo to the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office indicated that they subpoenaed the “Nancy Grace” episode from CNN regarding Brooks Houck’s ongoing case. The memo did not disclose why or how prosecutors would use the episode in building a case against Houck. WDKY reported that the “Nancy Grace” episode of interest is “Dr. Sievers Murder Investigation Developments; Kentucky Woman Vanishes.” During the broadcast, Grace conducted a phone interview with Houck. Rogers’ mother and father also appeared in the episode. (Reports indicated that Rogers’ father was fatally shot in 2016, 16 months after his daughter’s slaying). Link to transcript of Nancy Grace: CNN.com - Transcripts
The judge ruled that the interview could be used only for/against defendant Houck. The next follow-up motions hearing was set for 6/13/24 at 9am, in response to the Lawsons’ motion for immunity & whether the men would be tried separately.

5/21/24 Update: A document was filed by prosecutors in response to Steven Lawson’s motion to have the case against him dismissed. His attorney has argued that Lawson was promised immunity for cooperating with investigators. But in the newly-filed response, prosecutors say that Lawson negated that deal when he was dishonest with investigators. They also wrote that they believe Lawson had a “larger involvement in Crystal Rogers’s murder than he was willing to admit.” They point to a recorded jailhouse phone call, which they say includes Lawson telling someone that when he lied, he messed up his deal. Prosecutors also wrote that Lawson had admitted that Crystal’s boyfriend at the time, Brooks Houck, had been “trying to find someone to get rid of Crystal Rogers.”
6/4/24 Docket update: Defendant Houck's Sur-Reply in Opposition to Commonwealth's Motion to consolidate filed. Houck submitted a 40-page motion rebuffing Prosecutor Shane Young's request to consolidate the three defendants into a singular joint trial & sharing previously unreleased details about Steve Lawson's testimony to investigators, which his defense attorney has said was given under an unkept promise of immunity. Houck's motion provides excerpts of transcribed interviews that allegedly took place between Lawson & police, but an audio copy is not included in court documents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back