Ramzan Daraev 35 Shot while surveying power lines / claimed intruder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
but why did he shoot? What did he think he was protecting? His family? Or, something else that was out there that the average Joe isn't supposed to know about?
I beleive that in his mind, he was protecting his family. As to why he shot, I suspect that he shot for the same reasons as the security guard recently did in Seattle:

- He had a pre determined conclusion about what was going to happen one day.
- This pre determined event then must have indicators "A", "B" and "C".
- This pre determined event would need active and lethal "intervention"

Then, upon seeing the "would be present" indicators of the pre determined event, the lethal "intervention" followed quickly and naturally.

I think the only difference between the security guard and this shooter is that this shooter is very much the "real deal" and not the standard wanna'be type prone to dream about and then launch into an "intervention".

Subjectively, I just cant see a Special Forces Colonel going down the pre determined event, "must be present" indicators and rash "intervention" path towards a murder. But.... objectively, Special Forces Colonels are still human.

Last edited:
the founder of the utility is from moldova?
"There can be many truths, all intertwined with each other- yet each distinct"

Ok, faux new age mysticism aside, it depends on what you mean by "the Utility":

- The founder of the sub contracting company hired to do initial survey prep work for line upgrades is from Moldova and evidently employs alot of people from the former Soviet Union.

- The founder of the primary utility company that actually owns the lines is probably not from Moldovia.

As a side note, the use of sub contractors to do various types of Utility improvement prep work is evidently at least fairly common.

Last edited:
MOO the homeowner didn’t know that at the time of the shooting.
Shooting and killing people for what they "might" be is never a good idea and is usually not legally justifiable.

For example: What "might" any member of this forum be? What "could" their adult family members be? And by extension: What kind of lethal uhhmmm....."intervention" "might" be needed?

Subjectively, I just cant see a Special Forces Colonel going down the pre determined event, "must be present" indicators and rash "intervention" path towards a murder. But.... objectively, Special Forces Colonels are still human.
RSBM --
I don't think this was a quick shooting. According to the Fayetteville Observer, the wife called twice -- the second call was 13 minutes after hanging up the first call.

The wife ended the first call when she said she "felt safe," but why did she feel safe? And then, what transpired to make her feel frightened again?

When I read the transcript of the conversation (I wish we could hear the audio), I sense the wife was in distress. But why? She doesn't give us enough information.

What's odd is that the military would not reveal the Special Op's name. What's really odd is that the military got the shooter's name wiped from the county property records. Whoever he is -- he must be special to the military.

Wow. Why would you shoot an unarmed person who was not technically on your property?

IMHO because you are paranoid.

What would the shooter have done in this situation without a firearm? Maybe (gasp) go out and try to talk to the men? Maybe wait and see what happened? Maybe call the power company (even outside business hours, there are ways to connect)?

I don't think this was a quick shooting. According to the Fayetteville Observer, the wife called twice

What's odd is that the military would not reveal the Special Op's name. What's really odd is that the military got the shooter's name wiped from the county property records. Whoever he is -- he must be special to the military.
I was under the wrong impression that the shooting was completely by impulse.

Given the two calls with two very different tones, I would want to pull pull the shooter's phone trace to see if he was on an errand- and if things escalated for some reason following his return to the house.

Good point about scrubbing the name from the County property tax records being odd. My impression is that this is very hard to scrub such records even for senior politicians, senior government officials etc. as the property / tax records must be public for purposes of tax transparency.

Some VIP or uhmmm..... "sensitive" owners will own via a specially created holding company. This keeps their name from being directly listed on the record. But.... the property / tax records themselves are still public.

You are right. Whomever he is, he is very special to the military- maybe even by Special Forces standards.

Last edited:
This looks like more “Ready, Shoot, AIM” response to somebody who was on their property line and what they might do.

Maybe call the power company (even outside business hours, there are ways to connect)?
I think that would have been my first call--to the utility company to see if they would verify the man's identity and the job he was doing.

I probably would have done that even before calling 911.

Good point about scrubbing the name from the County property tax records being odd. My impression is that this is very hard to scrub such records even for senior politicians, senior government officials etc. as the property / tax records must be public for purposes of tax transparency.

Some VIP or uhmmm..... "sensitive" owners will own via a specially created holding company. This keeps their name from being directly listed on the record. But.... the property / tax records themselves are still public.

You are right. Whomever he is, he is very special to the military- maybe even by Special Forces standards.
I think it's odd, too. I can't imagine why the shooter would be so important to the military that one of the first things the military does is quiet his identity. And I've done extra research, and I can't find his name anywhere, not even on Reddit or Facebook. It's like the sealed up all leaks. Quickly.

Reading the call transcript, it strikes me that the wife seemed frightened by the idea the man was Chechan. I wondered if her husband had some covert mission in Chechyna that made him (and her) paranoid.

If someone told me they were Chechan, I would be like, cool, how different is life over there?

Oh well, we'll probably never know now unless someone leaks something. But, how interesting is this?

Wow. Why would you shoot an unarmed person who was not technically on your property?

IMHO because you are paranoid.

What would the shooter have done in this situation without a firearm? Maybe (gasp) go out and try to talk to the men? Maybe wait and see what happened? Maybe call the power company (even outside business hours, there are ways to connect)?

We used to live next door to a man like this. We had a shared well with an easement which meant we had to interact occasionally for water billing and logistics but every time, he was incredibly aggressive, screaming at us to get off his land (front porch), threatening violence for intruding on his rightful property. He was a former cop who only lasted a year in the job and then took it upon himself to "enforce" his "rights" in the neighborhood. Eventually we moved away because it was just too scary, especially with small kids. Ticking time bomb right there.

Ramzan's case also has parallels with another in the news right now where a self-appointed community "overwatcher" shot and killed 17 year old who was carrying an airsoft gun in the parking lot of a sporting goods store. WA-Teen returning airsoft gun to Renton store fatally shot by off-duty guard.

I think it's odd, too. I can't imagine why the shooter would be so important to the military that one of the first things the military does is quiet his identity.

Reading the call transcript, it strikes me that the wife seemed frightened by the idea the man was Chechan. I wondered if her husband had some covert mission in Chechyna that made him (and her) paranoid.
I cant imagine why the military took such quick steps regarding his identity either.

But, I do get the impression that the military has concealed the identity of ultra elite soldiers involved in deaths before (hazing death of Green Beret by Force Recon members). They did, however, quickly release their names after criminal charges were filed.

As for the possibility of service in Chechnya, or service in Iraq or Syria against Chechen jihadis, I think its a real possibility. A very significant majority of civilians in America would not know Chechens from Cheetos. As a result, the mention of the ethnic group's name would not register anything. Yet, it did for her.

As a side note, for centuries Chechens and other related north Caucaus mountain groups were not associated with terrorism what so ever and historically practiced relaxed, Sufi style Islam.

Like Irish and Highland Scots, Chechens and related mountain groups had an earned reputation for being tough, skilled and dedicated soldiers. Duplicating the Imperial British, the Imperial Russians formed ethnic centered units to take advantage of those military traditions.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back