Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if he began to feel unwell and tried to make his way down to the beach.
Do we know if the church was open and somewhere he could have sought shade?
I don't know if the church was open, but the little restaurant near it was since he purchased water and Coke there. Something likely happened to him between there and Chora, where there is a larger monastery that is popular with tourists. There's no report so far of anyone who saw him there.

According the articles I see here, Albert is from Hermosa Beach which is just 5 or 6 miles up the coast from me. The local paper Hermosa Patch has no mention of him. Neither do ktla nor kabc, the local news stations.

If Eric has done this hike many times in the past, I'm assuming the temperatures were not as high? And he is familiar with the route, and possible iffy spots. Still, an accident could happen at any time as well as heatstroke in those temperatures.
Very sad....

Last edited:
What a shame Michael Mosley 's death did not make someone more aware of the dangers of being out in extreme temperatures. Even for Greece the temperature is much higher than usual . It still would be hot even in the morning .
A few degrees can make a huge difference. I remember a couple of years ago in the UK when the temperature hit 40 degrees, it felt significantly worse than 36 or 37 degrees and the sense of it being dangerous was very real. To go walking in that kind of heat could badly affect the fittest of people.

A few degrees can make a huge difference. I remember a couple of years ago in the UK when the temperature hit 40 degrees, it felt significantly worse than 36 or 37 degrees and the sense of it being dangerous was very real. To go walking in that kind of heat could badly affect the fittest of people.
I agree. And in that heat there would be many fewer hikers on the trail. So fewer people to see what possibly happened to him.

Just a note, it is 4 hours one way, so presumably meant to bus back. IMO, that was why he wasn't reporting missing sooner, he could have been hanging around the port. It also means twice as much trail to search.

JMO
That makes sense.
And it's 4 hours to Chora, and another hour hike to Katapola. Although there are buses that take people from Katapola up to Chora, so perhaps he was planning on catching a bus or taxi in Chora.

In semi-related news, rescuers have called off searched for the missing Dutch hiker on Samos. I would set up a thread for this man, but his name has still not been released to the media. The 'presumption' by police is that he ultimately went for a swim and got carried away by the tides.
I had had hope they would find him since Samos is much greener that Amorgos (and Symi, where Michael Mosely died)...but no luck so far.
Search for missing Dutchman on Samos stopped

I hope that we get some good news shortly for Albert on Amorgos!! Maybe he slipped down a slope and hurt himself and holed up in a cave? I know it's a longshot, but stranger things have happened.

My SIL in Crete reports the heatwave as very unusual for June. Across the islands even some schools are closed. In Athens mayor touristic sites have been closed during hottest hours.

Temperatures should drop tomorrow.

I looked up some descriptions of the trails on Amorgos and saw photos too. Beautiful views but no shade is right. Gravel and loose stones on most trails described as 'Moderate' in difficulty. One trail segment said you would be unlikely to see another hiker on most days.

1718338130141.png
''A friend who was vacationing with Calibet at the time of his disappearance told authorities that the ex-cop left for the hike to Katapola Amorgos around 7 a.m. local time, according to the outlet. He contacted local authorities when he was unable to contact Calibet, who had not reached his destination shortly before 3:30 p.m. that same day.
His last known contact was reportedly with his sister, whom he sent a photo of a trail sign. He is believed to have two phones, but has not answered either of them.''
''Albert Calibet, 59, disappeared on the island of Amorgos on Tuesday while following a route toward the village of Katapola, the Amorgos municipality said on its official social media.

The L.A. County Sheriff's Department on Thursday confirmed that a missing persons report has been filed and the department's Homicide Bureau is handling the case locally, in addition to efforts abroad.''

It's now reported locally. Eric though retired, still works part time. The missing Dutch hiker is also mentioned.

"According to the department, Calibet worked for the department's Transit Service Bureau since April 1998. After his retirement in 2018, he continued to serve as a part-time employee."

""Our thoughts and prayers are with Deputy Calibet's family and friends and our hope is that we can bring him home safely," Sheriff Robert Luna said in a statement "We are actively collaborating with multiple agencies abroad to provide assistance in the search for Deputy Calibet and will use every resource we have available to bring him back to those who love him."

“Officials are searching both land and water in an area covering almost a quarter of Amorgos, the island's Mayor Eleftherios Karaiskos told ERT.

They have been using a drone to search the northern part of the island and are also attempting to trace Mr Calibet's two mobile phones. Calls to Mr Calibet - who the mayor said had visited the island before - have gone unanswered.

"We’re almost on three days here," his brother Oliver Calibet told Fox 11 TV in Los Angeles. "There’s no water… I’m very distraught."

Oliver Calibet and the girlfriend of Mr Calibet are on their way to Greece to help the search effort, ABC News reported.
The island's mayor said the hike on which Mr Calibet had embarked was busy and not particularly challenging, which suggested that the American could have deviated from his planned route.”

The list of tourists found dead or still missing in Greece​

June 5: A 67-year-old Dutch tourist collapsed and died of a heart attack while crossing the Mylon gorge in Rethymno, Crete as temperatures reached 40 degrees.
June 6: A 70-year-old French tourist collapsed and died while walking on a deserted beach – between Kouremenos and Zakros in Sitia, Crete. Emergency services that reached her were unable to save her life.

June 6: British TV presenter Michael Mosley, was found dead on the island of Symi. The 67-year-old Brit left on 5/6, at 1:30 p.m., on foot, from a beach to return to his accommodation in the capital of the island, Gyalos. His body was found on the beach of Agia Marina.

June 6: A 74-year-old Dutch tourist disappeared during a hike on Samos and is still missing. The official search and rescue operation ended on Friday although volunteers and friends are still looking for him.
June 11: 59-year-old American tourist Eric Albert Calibet has been missing since midday Tuesday on Amorgos after starting a long hike across the island.

I lived in AZ for almost 20 years and every single summer, we would see the SAR helicopter rescuing tourists out of the desert almost daily.

People underestimate the heat and overestimate their ability to deal with it.

The thread was pulled when it was announced that Mosely died from natural causes. No crime was committed.
I honestly didn't know that it was a thing to pull a thread for that reason. There are threads for people found in water and declared accidental or a suicide - are those also pulled? Riley Strain, Cheryl DeBoer, etc. Not trying to start debate lol - just curious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back