Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 6 murders, July 2023 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When were his docs again???
I was thinking about Dragon, which I know we were using in early 90s.
And maybe the misspelling came in later??' I am talking blind here....I personally did not take time to really study his misspellings
I was merely commenting on the possibility of speech recognition.
But honestly, the earlier the device the more misspelled !!!

SHORT VERSION. THE JOHN RAY PRESS CONFERENCE AND ALL THE ACCUSATIONS AGAINST V.H. ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO BE DISCUSSED.
Since we are going aaround in circles when it comes to discussing what John Ray said in his press conference we are no no longer allowing this topic to be discussed on the board. You can use our private messaging system, called "Conversation" and discuss privately with up to 20 other members. Your conversation tab is in the upper right hand corner.
Thank you,
Tricia

yes, yes.
We do keep bringing this up on the threads, but with all the posts and pages, it gets "lost in translation" ha ha.

I don't know if it has been specifically been stated that they found such technology.... but I strongly believe he used something like Seri, or more modern versions. Audio translation tools have been around for decades, and they do misspell.
Agree with you. I had a Palm Pilot just like the one HR used and where they found the macabre lists. That little device was the latest in technology at the time, and it was possible to hand write in its touchscreen display using a small stylo. Then it was possible to converted it into text. Of course, the text recognition technology of that time was not what it is today, it required to write each character certain way for it to be interpreted correctly. That’s why It was rather common to come across misspelled or changed words
Pretty sure said conversion caused the disorganizizing thing

Also within the CNN article:

The bail application highlights that two different forensic laboratories determined hairs recovered on five of the six charged victims were tied to Heuermann, members of his immediate family or to people he lived with, according to the document.

What am I forgetting here????? Just the step-son or someone else???
I believe they are referring to Witness#3’s hair found with Jessica. The assumption is Witness 3 was his first wife, ER. Then there is still an unidentified hair on Sandra Castillo.

I recall seeing a recent interview with two people who worked with RH previously, and one of them stated RH was not prone to misspelling words, particularly in documents (associated with his work). She suggested he had used some sort of speech to text just as you mentioned. I believe this is the correct link to that interview:

Welcome to WS :)
Well, to me, that makes no sense. I watched the video. I heard his former employee say he can spell, he wouldn't write anything like this, and it was a speech-to-text or other software that made it come out so bad.

No software (spellchecker, speech-to-text, speech recognition, etc.) is going to end up with this many spelling errors that are this bad! IMO. If you're talking out a text, and software is "typing" it out, if it doesn't recognize a word you have said, it won't output a non-word or a jumble of letters that aren't any real word. It will do its best and put a REAL word that is the closest it comes up with to what you said, and the real word will not be misspelled. It won't even use a phonetically-spelled non-word, but even if it did, that would mean RH THOROUGHLY MISPRONOUNCED the words we see that are misspelled. I do NOT think he pronounced disorganized as "disoriginizazized" or however he mangled that word! But even if he did pronounce it like that (impossible, imo) as I said, the software wouldn't take what he said and output a phonetically-spelled non-word that is its best representation of the word he said. In fact, if he said it like that, it would probably just put "disorganized". But he wasn't badly mispronouncing his words anyway imo, so that's moot.

It seems obvious to me that he was NOT using speech-to-text, as this former employee of his thinks. I see no way that that would produce a text that looks like this one, with all the misspellings and non-words that it has in it. I think if she thought about it, she would agree too. They just don't work like that, and they didn't even way back then. She was so sure of herself too that he could never have written this doc in this way that we're seeing it, so I think it's obvious she just didn't think that opinion through enough!

So I don't agree with her that it looks like such a mess due to him using speech recognition software or anything like that. I don't think, as she does, that it's the fault of ANY software at all. Because even if he was typing it in himself, not speaking it, and he misspelled it even that badly, spellcheck or autocorrect-type software would look for a REAL word that is closest to whatever he typed, and would either suggest that as a correction, or autocorrect it to a REAL correctly-spelled word. It may give the WRONG word, but it will be a correctly-spelled recognizable word, not a misspelled word. Not a non-word. And there are a lot of non-words in this document.

I think it's obvious that what that means is that he really was this bad of a speller, at least when writing something where spelling didn't matter! Something that either was unimportant or trivial, say like a shopping list, or something that only he would be reading, like (he hoped) this document. He might very well have known the correct spelling of the word "plastic" and "evidence", for example, but when he typed in "platic" and "evindice", he just left it because that was good enough. He knew what he meant. And so do we, in fact!

I think it just shows that at work, he used spellcheck and/or other editing software for documents that mattered, things people other than him would be reading. Or perhaps, he did manage without software help, by just taking his time, checking his work, correcting errors, and editing so that mistakes were minimal so that others would have no problem when reading it. And so that he looked professional. Which is all this lady in the video must have ever seen. Nothing she'd seen him do at work had these kinds of misspellings and so many of them! So that made her say he doesn't write like this, he can spell better than this, it must have been software making these errors. Which I think is dumb. No software will leave these errors unless you have turned it off! Or changed your settings so that it doesn't correct things, which would make the software useless. And certainly no speech-to-text software will take something you SAY and output something like "dumster" or "tourture" or "originanized"! Which is what she said had happened. That's why I said that was a dumb thing to say and that she must not have given that enough thought before she said it. I think he just made sure it looked right when it mattered, and that's all she ever saw. Until she saw this "kill planner" thing. Where the errors didn't matter. IMO.

Hi all. I wanted to post a few random thoughts that I’ve collected after reading along for a while, for what they’re worth:
1. People sometimes shave their sideburns if they wear wigs, perhaps as part of a more feminine getup for the evening, for example…
2. In my experience, spoken-to-written language apps may choose a Wrong word from a glossary/dictionary of available words, but will not choose a misspelled word.
3. In general, just having a social media account in someone’s name does not necessarily mean that’s the person who set up the account or accesses the account (unless it was clear that biometrics were used - and I have not seen this in the available information).

Well, to me, that makes no sense. I watched the video. I heard his former employee say he can spell, he wouldn't write anything like this, and it was a speech-to-text or other software that made it come out so bad.

No software (spellchecker, speech-to-text, speech recognition, etc.) is going to end up with this many spelling errors that are this bad! IMO. If you're talking out a text, and software is "typing" it out, if it doesn't recognize a word you have said, it won't output a non-word or a jumble of letters that aren't any real word. It will do its best and put a REAL word that is the closest it comes up with to what you said, and the real word will not be misspelled. It won't even use a phonetically-spelled non-word, but even if it did, that would mean RH THOROUGHLY MISPRONOUNCED the words we see that are misspelled. I do NOT think he pronounced disorganized as "disoriginizazized" or however he mangled that word! But even if he did pronounce it like that (impossible, imo) as I said, the software wouldn't take what he said and output a phonetically-spelled non-word that is its best representation of the word he said. In fact, if he said it like that, it would probably just put "disorganized". But he wasn't badly mispronouncing his words anyway imo, so that's moot.

It seems obvious to me that he was NOT using speech-to-text, as this former employee of his thinks. I see no way that that would produce a text that looks like this one, with all the misspellings and non-words that it has in it. I think if she thought about it, she would agree too. They just don't work like that, and they didn't even way back then. She was so sure of herself too that he could never have written this doc in this way that we're seeing it, so I think it's obvious she just didn't think that opinion through enough!

So I don't agree with her that it looks like such a mess due to him using speech recognition software or anything like that. I don't think, as she does, that it's the fault of ANY software at all. Because even if he was typing it in himself, not speaking it, and he misspelled it even that badly, spellcheck or autocorrect-type software would look for a REAL word that is closest to whatever he typed, and would either suggest that as a correction, or autocorrect it to a REAL correctly-spelled word. It may give the WRONG word, but it will be a correctly-spelled recognizable word, not a misspelled word. Not a non-word. And there are a lot of non-words in this document.

I think it's obvious that what that means is that he really was this bad of a speller, at least when writing something where spelling didn't matter! Something that either was unimportant or trivial, say like a shopping list, or something that only he would be reading, like (he hoped) this document. He might very well have known the correct spelling of the word "plastic" and "evidence", for example, but when he typed in "platic" and "evindice", he just left it because that was good enough. He knew what he meant. And so do we, in fact!

I think it just shows that at work, he used spellcheck and/or other editing software for documents that mattered, things people other than him would be reading. Or perhaps, he did manage without software help, by just taking his time, checking his work, correcting errors, and editing so that mistakes were minimal so that others would have no problem when reading it. And so that he looked professional. Which is all this lady in the video must have ever seen. Nothing she'd seen him do at work had these kinds of misspellings and so many of them! So that made her say he doesn't write like this, he can spell better than this, it must have been software making these errors. Which I think is dumb. No software will leave these errors unless you have turned it off! Or changed your settings so that it doesn't correct things, which would make the software useless. And certainly no speech-to-text software will take something you SAY and output something like "dumster" or "tourture" or "originanized"! Which is what she said had happened. That's why I said that was a dumb thing to say and that she must not have given that enough thought before she said it. I think he just made sure it looked right when it mattered, and that's all she ever saw. Until she saw this "kill planner" thing. Where the errors didn't matter. IMO.

You could be correct. Your explanation sounds plausible to me.

On a legal note... maybe his attorney will suggest he suffered a disorder similar to Jekyll/Hyde dual-personality and Mr Hyde wrote the evil misspelled documents? Assuming such a disorder does exist. Or maybe the defense will argue RH couldn't have written the documents with misspelled words because he's fastidious?

jmo

Agree with you. I had a Palm Pilot just like the one HR used and where they found the macabre lists. That little device was the latest in technology at the time, and it was possible to hand write in its touchscreen display using a small stylo. Then it was possible to converted it into text. Of course, the text recognition technology of that time was not what it is today, it required to write each character certain way for it to be interpreted correctly. That’s why It was rather common to come across misspelled or changed words
Pretty sure said conversion caused the disorganizizing thing
Now here is one possible exception to what I was saying about software not outputting misspelled words. In this example, it's not speech-to-text or talk-to-type, but instead you write it on the screen yourself using a stylo, and the software prints out what you wrote in typed form. So it just prints out what it sees. In this example, it makes no effort to ensure it prints out a correctly-spelled word or any real recognizable word at all. Just whatever it looks like you wrote.

But if he were using this software, then it means he still misspelled all these words, and the software just put in what he wrote, misspellings and all. Either he misspelled them all (some horrendously), or his writing is very hard (for the software) to read. Or a combination of both. I think it means his handwriting is somewhat illegible, and he can't spell worth a darn (at least not on his first try.) (And he didn't give it a 2nd or 3rd or more try.) (Because in this document, it didn't matter to him.)

3) Even if the family is shown to be away abduction through disposal of evidence, there would have to be clues like the construction and drain cleaning and burning and staining, possible new tires, old box of garbage bags, which was hardly used, has been replaced with a new package, etc. I get how hindsight is a different thing from knowing real time, and I know coercive control is likely, and can cause one to see what the controller wishes to be seen. So for this reason, I'd understand if the other residents of the house would not know what signs were signs. But they are witnesses and they have seen signs even if they don't know what they are. (In the spirit of presumption of innocence: what they saw, even if they can't identify it, could be exonerating evidence.)
I agree about the clues. For me, I can't help thinking about the lingering smells in that house. You know when you go away for a period of time and come home again; the first thing we notice is the smell of our environment. It smells like home!
For me, that would have been my first clue that something was off. The smell of blood or death from downstairs.The use of cleaning materials to clean up his play-time area. Getting them out of the house (dragging them upstairs? or maybe that door was used to the back yard to get them out of there). I cannot believe something, anything was never noticed to be out of place or unusual after any of her trips away. It defies logic imo.
MOO.

And what would they say? It's either going to be . . . "he hid it really well and I didn't suspect anything." or it's going to be ""Yeah old Rex, he's a creep. I totally knew he was a serial killer." In which case, why would you ever say that out loud to anybody.

Could you imagine having to admit that you were his friend publicly, though? I can't blame them for staying quiet.

Yes, I could. I graduated from high school with a gal who is on death row. She is the only female in the state on death row. We weren't best friends but we attended a very small school in a very small town. Everyone knew everyone, their extended family members, where they lived, etc. We were in the same "home room" all 4 years, and had classes together during that time. We chatted, attended a few of the same parties, football/basketball events, etc. I didn't commit her crimes and would never have suspected her of committing a horrific murder a few years after graduation. Do her crimes suggest I'm bad for knowing her?? So, that's why I'm surprised more haven't come forward.

ETA: I abhor the crimes she committed but I have compassion for her. Obviously, I don't mind telling people I know her.

jmo

Last edited:
Well, there are three things.

1) We don't know how long victims were kept alive, nor do we know how long they were kept deceased. (Jessica, happy heavenly birthday, sweet angel, is the only victim we have a clear clue as to possible torso disposal date.)

2) There is a highly credible question about the dates of the Atlantic City trip.

3) Even if the family is shown to be away abduction through disposal of evidence, there would have to be clues like the construction and drain cleaning and burning and staining, possible new tires, old box of garbage bags, which was hardly used, has been replaced with a new package, etc. I get how hindsight is a different thing from knowing real time, and I know coercive control is likely, and can cause one to see what the controller wishes to be seen. So for this reason, I'd understand if the other residents of the house would not know what signs were signs. But they are witnesses and they have seen signs even if they don't know what they are. (In the spirit of presumption of innocence: what they saw, even if they can't identify it, could be exonerating evidence.)

Don't confuse being a witness and being accused. They are different things.

MOO
The taskforce appears to be making charges they believe they can actually win in court.

Well, there are three things.

1) We don't know how long victims were kept alive, nor do we know how long they were kept deceased. (Jessica, happy heavenly birthday, sweet angel, is the only victim we have a clear clue as to possible torso disposal date.)

2) There is a highly credible question about the dates of the Atlantic City trip.

Don't confuse being a witness and being accused. They are different things.

MOO
So burlap used as it didn't carry fingerprint evidence?

You could be correct. Your explanation sounds plausible to me.

On a legal note... maybe his attorney will suggest he suffered a disorder similar to Jekyll/Hyde dual-personality and Mr Hyde wrote the evil misspelled documents? Assuming such a disorder does exist. Or maybe the defense will argue RH couldn't have written the documents with misspelled words because he's fastidious?

jmo
Don't give Brown any ideas. lol

She hasn't been identified as his first wife, but that's the assumption based on when RH was married to his first wife. Witness 3 surfaced during the last superseding bail application.
Since RH and first wife reportedly separated soon after they married and they divorced in '93, I'm guessing it's a different woman.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MerrieBee
Back