ME ME - Chase Buckner, 12, Ran away for 6th time since May 1, believed to be with his 17-yo girlfriend, Berwick, 9 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1718962876171.png

(By now I should have learned that I should never make the mistake of thinking I've seen everything.)

According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, 12-year-old Chase Buckner was reported missing on June 10.

Chase was last seen by his mother between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on June 9.

Berwick Police Dept Press Release - June 20, 2024

Press Release:

The Berwick Police Department is aware of the missing juvenile, Chase Buckner. We are actively investigating this incident. Chase was reported missing from his residence on June 10, 2024 at 1741 hours. Chase was last seen by his mother between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM on June 9, 2024 after he returned home from running away on June 8, 2024.

We have received several tips stemming from the media push by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and have followed up on those tips. Chase is believed to be in the area with his 17-year-old girlfriend. Chase was seen a few days ago, with his girlfriend, at another juvenile’s residence in a neighboring community.

This incident is not believed to be suspicious as Chase willingly ran away. This is not the first reported incident of this happening. This agency has taken six (6) reports since the beginning of May of Chase running away.

Chase is described to be 5’7” tall and weigh 117 pounds, he is a black male with brown hair and brown eyes. His clothing description is unknown at the time he ran away.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Chase Buckner is asked to contact Detective Brendan Reil (b.reil@berwickpd.org) or Sergeant Nicholas Higgins (n.higgins@berwickpd.org) at the Berwick Police Department by e-mail or phone (207-698-1136 option #1).

(Not surprisingly, there are many comments posted on the PD FB page.)

Is this relationship legal? If not, could they arrest the 17-year-old? If so, can they arrest/question whichever adult the 17-year-old is living with? Or is she already living independently? I see no reason any adult should be helping harbor a 12-year-old. Surely something can be done?

For anyone who is interested in learning more about this situation, there is a lot of information in the comments on the police FB page. Poster MW gives concerning information in several comments and replies, and Chase's mother, JF, has posted several times in the comments and replies. I feel so sorry for his mom, who has taken legal steps to try to stop it but is not receiving support. His mom is very upset about the tone of the PD press release, believing that it makes it sound like her son doesn't matter, she is also requesting that her sons predator not be referred to as his girlfriend.

Also see replies by GM to a comment by TK.

I hope that MSM will interview his mom, because I think that some of the facts should be made public. Until then, we can't discuss them here -- but, if you are interested, do read the comments.

Last edited:
View attachment 512048

(By now I should have learned that I should never make the mistake of thinking I've seen everything.)

According to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, 12-year-old Chase Buckner was reported missing on June 10.

Chase was last seen by his mother between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on June 9.

Berwick Police Dept Press Release - June 20, 2024

Press Release:

The Berwick Police Department is aware of the missing juvenile, Chase Buckner. We are actively investigating this incident. Chase was reported missing from his residence on June 10, 2024 at 1741 hours. Chase was last seen by his mother between 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM on June 9, 2024 after he returned home from running away on June 8, 2024.

We have received several tips stemming from the media push by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and have followed up on those tips. Chase is believed to be in the area with his 17-year-old girlfriend. Chase was seen a few days ago, with his girlfriend, at another juvenile’s residence in a neighboring community.

This incident is not believed to be suspicious as Chase willingly ran away. This is not the first reported incident of this happening. This agency has taken six (6) reports since the beginning of May of Chase running away.

Chase is described to be 5’7” tall and weigh 117 pounds, he is a black male with brown hair and brown eyes. His clothing description is unknown at the time he ran away.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of Chase Buckner is asked to contact Detective Brendan Reil (b.reil@berwickpd.org) or Sergeant Nicholas Higgins (n.higgins@berwickpd.org) at the Berwick Police Department by e-mail or phone (207-698-1136 option #1).

(Not surprisingly, there are many comments posted on the PD FB page.)

So hard to find the appropriate emoji here.

My mind is just thinking hypothetically here....
IF they are both juveniles then, is no one subject to criminal activity????

What if the 12 year old was female......... The law and the public would be be outrageously pursued.

What is the female was 15 or 16.
And the male 12.
Would they just be two wayward kids who get their hands slapped???

This is a case that has such a broad range of contentious issues...
moo moo moo moo

Last edited:
Age of consent is 16. The 17 year old can consent however the 12 year old cannot. Seems pretty criminal to me.

Really worth a read of the comments that accompany the LE Statement. The “relationship” is made clear.

Hopefully this lands in msm so we can discuss.

And the male 12.

moo moo moo moo
IMO -- even if it involves a minor there are things that can be done. if there was a protective order that was being violated, it should be illegal. It should also be illegal if there is an adult who is hiding them. IMO

Ummm what?? This child is 12 yrs old
Certainly anything being done to him by a 17 yr old male or FEMALE is illegal.

I agree it should be, but we haven't heard that she has criminal charges pending? LE's tone calling her his "girlfriend" and saying the disappearance isn't "suspicious" sounds minimizing, IMO.

I agree it should be, but we haven't heard that she has criminal charges pending? LE's tone calling her his "girlfriend" and saying the disappearance isn't "suspicious" sounds minimizing, IMO.
I agree with you

If it was the other way round - the girl being 12 and the man being 17 I think stronger language would be being used

What if the 12 year old was female......... The law and the public would be be outrageously pursued.

And the male 12.

moo moo moo moo
In most states, the 17-year-old is at risk of being charged with lewd conduct or a similar charge, and even end up on the sex offender registry (as a juvenile or as an adult, depending on how the state adjudicates). The lowest the age of consent goes in the US is 16. And even Romeo and Juliet laws would probably not fly for this case because 12 is so far from the AOC and the age gap is too big.

Missing since June 10 ???????????
What in heavens name has been going on for over 10 days??
It seems like when kids run away multiple times, the media is like “ugh again? Whatever” instead is seeing it as a massive red flag.

I also do think him being a young black boy plays a role. Black children tend to be perceived as older and more mature by society at large, so I could see people thinking he is the one in control even though that’s not the case.

From my quick (ergo could be wrong) Google research, Maine R&J "exemptions apply only when consensual sexual conduct involves close-in-age minors who are at least 14. For example, Maine's sexual abuse of a minor law doesn't criminalize consensual sex between someone who is 14 or 15 years old and someone who is no more than 5 years older."
(Maine Statutory Rape Laws)

...so no matter how you slice it, illegal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back