Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people keep talking about the night before when he was seen in the morning?

Spanish police have refused the help of British officers in finding missing teenager Jay Slater who vanished from a remote part of Tenerife.

Lancashire Police said Spain’s Guardia Civil turned down its “offer of support” to help in the search, which has already included firefighters, helicopters, rescue dogs and drones combing a large stretch of rugged terrain.

Mr Slater, 19, has been missing since Monday after he was last seen in Buenavista del Norte where he asked a cafe owner twice what time the bus arrived at around 8am before walking off and disappearing.

Fifteen minutes later, he phoned his friend to say he was lost, dehydrated and had one per cent phone battery after attending a music festival the night before.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson toldThe Independent: “They have confirmed that at this time they are satisfied that they have the resources they need, but that offer remains open and they will contact us should that position change.”

The teenager was last seen wearing a white T-shirt with shorts and trainers, and his phone shows his last location as the Rural de Teno park at 8.50am around 27 miles away from the festival he was at.

I'll admit i've not followed this case closely, but ain't there only two blokes who physically saw which way he went? Potentially could have picked him up later if there's only one road??
They might still have been sleeping when Jsy left. According to the media he was outside the premises at 7.30am smoking a cigarette.

I can't either. How does it make any sense that anyone would go stumbling through rocks and cactus and think it was the right way to go anywhere? When hiking, those kinds of things happen and it makes sense that people get lost but he was not hiking and began on a road, the logical path back to whence he came.
I think he was profoundly confused and disoriented, and that caused him to feel panic, and that made him overwhelmed, incapable of thinking straight. His brain couldn't function.

I'm posting this link just for the headline, it's a dreadfully long article with no simple quotes, but I think the idea is relevant.

"Why humans totally freak out when they get lost"

He had no idea where he was, in a completely foreign landscape, far from his friends: the overwhelming impulse is either 'fight or flight', he chose flight.

JMO

ETA perhaps had no cash? Too embarrassed to ask for help until the last minute.

Last edited:
They might still have been sleeping when Jsy left. According to the media he was outside the premises at 7.30am smoking a cigarette.
Which puts the sighting of the owner of the Airbnb or whatever correct. But what (Airbnb) person would see a young lad say, 'Oh can't wait for that bus in a few hours, I'll just walk over that mountain instead,' and not stop him? It's like being at the motorway services and hear someone saying, 'no worries, I'll just drive over the *advertiser censored*g hill, across the grass and swim the lake'. I don't get it at all.

I holidayed in Tenerife when I was 17. And yes I didn't know it was the same time zone. But NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS would I have ventured to the mountains. Though there are *advertiser censored* around. But the place is SO busy. Where the hell were his friends??

JMO

ADMIN NOTE:

Almost a 100 post cleanup in this discussion. This makes me very cranky, thus the short and sweet that follows:

There is nothing to substantiate the speculation that drugs are involved in this case. Don't discuss it.

Accusations or insinuations against friends and/or any non POI are not allowed. Don't do it.

Your choice of beverage has zero bearing on this case. You wish to talk about it, go to a pub.

He carried a man bag. There is no reason to have a million posts about who carries them where. He carried one.

Discussing social media rumors is not allowed. Don't even mention them.

Do NOT bring the drama from Facebook/social media to Websleuths. The ONLY FB posts allowed are factual posts made by the Admin of the page about Jay's case. Comments by others are not allowed.

ETA: This thread is closed for a couple of hours to give members a chance to catch up and read the above.

I wonder if he could have been asleep during the car journey to the airbnb and if he was then he would not have realised how far it was back to where he was staying. I also wonder what happened in the hours from when they got to the airbnb to the point that he left. Only three people obviously know this, the two men and JS.

maybe there was other people there too ... I don't think we've heard?

Bbm.

I can't see this at all. He comes from Oswaldtwistle, a sleepy small town near Blackburn. If people wanted to take him out, they would do so locally. They wouldn't have the nous to wait until to he was in Tenerife.
Spain is cheap to fly too and also doing it on home soil they are more likely to be caught and more.obvipus is was was revenge. Crimes up North in these gangs are usually met with revenge. Amyone from.the UK will know that. A simple nudge off a cliff into water will wipe away evidence etc and look like he fell lining up with the friends story of him being disorientated on his own out there. I think it would be easier to get away with a crime abroad like this. You wouldn't immediately link it to his past crime.

We don't know the two men actually said it, the paper reports the female friend Lucy stated this

"Ms Law tracked down the villa and reportedly spoke to the two men he had been there with, the Times reported.

She said the men told her Mr Slater had gone for a cigarette before returning and said he wanted to go home. He reportedly turned down the men’s offers to drive him home later that morning, saying he would instead walk."

And, if that's all true, why would Jay have not wanted to get a ride with them? We cannot implicate parties not named as being suspected of anything untoward but he may not have liked them, for whatever reason. He sure didn't stick around there for long.

walking the wrong way? the bus stop was right in front of the bnb I thought
They're talking about when he missed the bus and decided to walk out, which was on the road visible from the house and bus stop. So, wrong was heading north along the road, instead of south. Then, he's suddenly lost and getting scraped up by cactus which is inexplicable.

That is such a good idea and makes me think it's another thing a hiker might hook onto their backpack. Some of those plastic horns that protesters use to disrupt speeches are really loud and must be very light weight.
Any self respecting Hiker has a whistle attached to their backpack.
And most (Osprey brand for example) have one built into the chest strap. So you’d literally only have to put your chin down to blow the whistle.

Sorry slightly off topic !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member