Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Earlier today the e Des Moines register has reported David died from methamphetamine and hypothermia. Im have trouble posting the link so if someone else could do it. Oh geez, I see several other people posted it. Sorry., my page was not updating for awhile.

Last edited:
RIP David. I hate being right about this one. The most obvious answer turned out to be the correct answer.

Generally speaking, it takes chronic use of meth to work one's way up to hallucinating. Thinking you're being chased or followed, abandoning your vehicle in a panic and running from those hallucinations, shedding one's coat along the way because you get super hot in that condition. I've known addicts who have done all these things. It was also drizzling rain that night, so real-feel got much lower than the simple air temp -- he was wet in a white t-shirt and jeans, running full speed from his hallucinations, exhausting himself, out in those fields for a long time, until he just couldn't run anymore.
SFSBM

It was not drizzling during the early morning when David would have parked his truck and started walking.

It started raining lightly around 6:30 AM. By this time, I think David was likely already dead.

Data for Nov 21st is below

1:56 AM39 °F36 °F89 %N3 mph0 mph28.85 in0.0 inCloudy
2:56 AM38 °F35 °F89 %NNW3 mph0 mph28.85 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy
3:56 AM36 °F35 °F97 %NW3 mph0 mph28.84 in0.0 inMostly Cloudy
4:56 AM38 °F36 °F93 %CALM0 mph0 mph28.83 in0.0 inCloudy
5:35 AM39 °F36 °F87 %NNW3 mph0 mph28.83 in0.0 inCloudy
5:56 AM39 °F36 °F89 %CALM0 mph0 mph28.82 in0.0 inCloudy
6:31 AM39 °F37 °F93 %CALM0 mph0 mph28.81 in0.0 inLight Rain
6:53 AM39 °F37 °F93 %VAR3 mph0 mph28.82 in0.0 inLight Rain
6:56 AM40 °F38 °F93 %NW7 mph0 mph28.82 in0.0 inLight Rain
7:25 AM39 °F36 °F87 %NNW12 mph21 mph28.82 in0.0 inLight Rain
7:35 AM39 °F34 °F81 %NNW10 mph23 mph28.83 in0.0 inLight Rain

SFSBM

It was not drizzling during the early morning when David would have parked his truck and started walking.

It started raining lightly around 6:30 AM. By this time, I think David was likely already dead.

They had also mentioned it being super windy, at least the evening they started searching for him, and used that as the reason the dogs lost his scent, as shown in your chart above. Just putting this out there as someone earlier mentioned the dog losing his trail.

SFSBM

Dude, I dont know what to tell you. It drizzled. Those fields were not dry.

I’m so sad to read this. Meth? I never thought it would be meth.

My thoughts are with his family. It’s a hard pill to swallow.

MOO

It really must be so hard for the family. It's easier to accept that a bad actor was responsible...now, their grief may be mixed with anger at David, depending on how well they understand addiction.

But honestly, I pretty much always thought it would be meth.

RIP David. I hate being right about this one. The most obvious answer turned out to be the correct answer.

Generally speaking, it takes chronic use of meth to work one's way up to hallucinating. Thinking you're being chased or followed, abandoning your vehicle in a panic and running from those hallucinations, shedding one's coat along the way because you get super hot in that condition. I've known addicts who have done all these things. It was also drizzling rain that night, so real-feel got much lower than the simple air temp -- he was wet in a white t-shirt and jeans, running full speed from his hallucinations, exhausting himself, out in those fields for a long time, until he just couldn't run anymore.

With meth, it's rarely an overdose that kills the user ... it's the meth lifestyle that catches up with them. In fact, I've not personally known anyone to actually OD on meth, and I've known my fair share of meth users (snorters, mostly smokers, and sometimes shooter-uppers). David is a case in point. He was not a bad person, I'm sure he was a good person (most addicts I've known are good people), he loved his family, he worked hard, I'm 100% sure he tried to get off the stuff many times and just couldn't, he was caught up in something he had lost control over. He had an addiction. And it killed him.

You don't know people like you think you do.

Perfectly stated. Thank you for sharing your insights. It's hard for normal people to understand the grips of addiction and particularly, the paranoia associated with long term meth use.

It really must be so hard for the family. It's easier to accept that a bad actor was responsible...now, their grief may be mixed with anger at David, depending on how well they understand addiction.

But honestly, I pretty much always thought it would be meth.
But was this the result of an accidental overdose, or self harm? Perhaps he’d never used it before but planned to use a large amount to end his life. I’m still torn on the actual cause of death here as far as the how and why. Yes, it was hypothermia and meth but… was it just another night of use for him and for whatever reason this time it affected him fatally, or was it intentional? First time user? We really don’t know. Either way the family would most definitely have anger issues but I guess for me, I’m not feeling certain of what exactly transpired here.

Meth was always in the back of my mind. I live in the next county over from Davids. Everyone knows a lot of drugs go in and out of Sac County. Its been that way for years.
So this makes me wonder if everyone around him was just so very blind to his addiction. Wasn’t there anybody that noticed changes in him? maybe thought to help him? or maybe tried and it just wasn’t possible. Or perhaps he hadn’t been using meth for very long and he just didn’t realize the affect it would have on him. I’ve never been around anyone using meth so I don’t know the behavior changes. Maybe somebody else on this list can offer up their understanding of what happens. Seems to me it would be noticeable.

I think sadly the (not unexpected) outcome goes a long way to explaining why SS didn’t want to watch the video of DS at the truck stop or pour through his phone records. I assume they would show contact with a dealer and DS using the drug, which she suspected, but him not being found allowed her to hold onto hope he has been ‘taken’ (by a dodgy contact) rather than face the most likely scenario. JMO

With meth, it's rarely an overdose that kills the user ... it's the meth lifestyle that catches up with them. In fact, I've not personally known anyone to actually OD on meth, and I've known my fair share of meth users (snorters, mostly smokers, and sometimes shooter-uppers). David is a case in point. He was not a bad person, I'm sure he was a good person (most addicts I've known are good people), he loved his family, he worked hard, I'm 100% sure he tried to get off the stuff many times and just couldn't, he was caught up in something he had lost control over. He had an addiction. And it killed him.

You don't know people like you think you do.
If he really was a user as you describe, people who were around him are going to "know". I have personal experience with two family members who used meth for about a year. They are clean now, thank God. But it was really surreal to watch the spiral.

I always thought it was weird that no one really spoke out publicly about David outside of Sarah. Even weirder, was the reaction from LE. IMO, they knew about his drug use. In hindsight, it all makes sense now. All the oddities ...

Appreciate your insight into this.

I always found Sarah's behavior very strange, but it really could be as simple as her being in denial about something she knew but didn't want to admit. And with someone like JR in her ear (whom I personally feel took advantage of the situation) she never stood a chance.

LE said from the beginning there was nothing suspicious, long before they found David's body.

IMO everyone "knew" from Day 1.

So this makes me wonder if everyone around him was just so very blind to his addiction. Wasn’t there anybody that noticed changes in him? maybe thought to help him? or maybe tried and it just wasn’t possible. Or perhaps he hadn’t been using meth for very long and he just didn’t realize the affect it would have on him. I’ve never been around anyone using meth so I don’t know the behavior changes. Maybe somebody else on this list can offer up their understanding of what happens. Seems to me it would be noticeable.

How it's meant to be 'cooked' pure meth is clean and pretty much the same substance every time, ie predictable, but I follow a lot of youtubers based in the USA and nowadays it's being mixed with not just fentanyl but some really awful synthetic opioids and all sorts of bizarre effects happen.

But was this the result of an accidental overdose, or self harm? Perhaps he’d never used it before but planned to use a large amount to end his life. I’m still torn on the actual cause of death here as far as the how and why. Yes, it was hypothermia and meth but… was it just another night of use for him and for whatever reason this time it affected him fatally, or was it intentional? First time user? We really don’t know. Either way the family would most definitely have anger issues but I guess for me, I’m not feeling certain of what exactly transpired here.
I don't know of a single case of intentional "overdose" of a stimulant. Actually I don't know of any case where a stimulant was the direct cause of death. I don't consider self-harm a possibility here.

If he really was a user as you describe, people who were around him are going to "know". I have personal experience with two family members who used meth for about a year. They are clean now, thank God. But it was really surreal to watch the spiral.

I always thought it was weird that no one really spoke out publicly about David outside of Sarah. Even weirder, was the reaction from LE. IMO, they knew about his drug use. In hindsight, it all makes sense now. All the oddities ...

Appreciate your insight into this.
I'm going to have to somewhat disagree with you on this. I too have personal experience with people close to me and I was totally oblivious to it. I'm not naive, and looking back I might have misread some pretty strong indicators, but based on my own experience I'm not going to assume anything about what somebody else knew.

How it's meant to be 'cooked' pure meth is clean and pretty much the same substance every time, ie predictable, but I follow a lot of youtubers based in the USA and nowadays it's being mixed with not just fentanyl but some really awful synthetic opioids and all sorts of bizarre effects happen.
So this could also have contributed to his death. I’m trying to recall, that last stop he made - at the closed truck stop. Didn’t LE say they got video? I wonder if it showed anything peculiar?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostlyDarling
Back