Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel sad both for missing Jay and the locals.

Their breathtakingly beautiful Island
is now the centre of black PR (drugs) and sensationalist headlines all over the world.

The Island authorities scramble to find the teen.
But some dare to say their efforts are not enough.

What a shame :(

JMO

Tenerife has been known as a drugs haven for a long time. The whole Malaga / Canaries / Morocco link is real and people get mixed up with it regularly. Obviously most of the time things go to plan… until they don’t, and those are the only incidences we hear about. This all came to light (for me) during the Poole case, it’s a murky bit of the world if you’re that way inclined.

Really,
All these outlandish theories make me shake my head
(not to mention roll my eyes).

He went to Tina Abuela place voluntarily.
Police let Masca British guys go home to the UK.
They aren't POIs.

The teen got lost and is missing.

The circus surrounding this case is mind-blowing.

JMO

I have never appreciated the rules and regulations we agree to follow at websleuths more than while following this case! Those Facebook groups are awash with outlandish theories and rumours presented as fact and backed up with no evidence at all.

Ophelia Medina Hernandez, the last person to see Jay, told The Times: 'People don't get lost here

The owner of holiday rental, Casa Abuela Tina - today voiced her worries about the teen after spotting him walking alone down the hills on Monday.
She said: 'It's dangerous walking around here, it's easy to lose yourself.
Ophelia shared that Jay has also asked about catching the bus from the area

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ont-lost--set-friend-nears-30-000-target.html

But who would kidnap him???
And why?
For ransom?
Does he come from a billionaire's family?
:rolleyes:

Really,
All these outlandish theories make me shake my head
(not to mention roll my eyes).

He went to Tina Abuela place voluntarily.
Police let Masca British guys go home to the UK.
They aren't POIs.

The teen got lost and is missing.

The circus surrounding this case is mind-blowing.

JMO
Honestly I’m so glad we’re all so level-headed here on Websleuths because some of the things I’ve read on various social media platforms are absolutely crazy. A lot of people just can’t seem to accept that accidents can and do happen. It also baffles me why so many people think that a 19 year old from a little town in England being kidnapped by the local mafia in Tenerife for a ransom of £30,000 is more believable than him getting lost after a night out AFTER telling his friend he was lost, had no water and his phone was about to die. Makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed - in the following, "she" is "Lucy">

Pretty sure i've read she and Brad had met the guys at the event, it wasn't just two randoms he found at the end of the night. She said she spoke in a very concerned tone to him saying if he ever needed to listen to her it was now. I don't think it was odd there was no mention of the two blokes, after all he had left the apartment at this point. If anything had happened he'd have mentioned it

Last edited by a moderator:
Ophelia Medina Hernandez, the last person to see Jay, told The Times: 'People don't get lost here
The owner of holiday rental, Casa Abuela Tina - today voiced her worries about the teen after spotting him walking alone down the hills on Monday.
She said: 'It's dangerous walking around here, it's easy to lose yourself.
Ophelia shared that Jay has also asked about catching the bus from the area

Yeah I took it to mean that local people know it’s not an area to mess around in or take lightly. That its a dangerous area and eoukd be easy to get lost, but it doesn’t happen often because locals know better. It’s possibly a translation issue.

*Monday, around 8am - Ofelia Medina Hernandez, the last known person to speak to Mr Slater, tells him the bus is due at 10am when he asks. He sets off walking and she says she later drives past him "walking fast".

Monday, 8.15am - He calls his friend Lucy Law saying he was lost as he attempted to walk from Masca to his accommodation in Los Cristianos in the south.

Monday, 8.50am - His last live location showed as the Rural de Teno park - a mountainous area popular with hikers.

*Monday, 9.04am - He is reported missing.
Tenerife map for Jay Slater story

He had attended the NRG music festival on the island with two friends before his disappearance. The owner of the Airbnb property he was reportedly driven to, who gave her name as Ophelia, told reporters she saw Jay walk up the road past her property but did not see him again after that – describing the situation as worrying
*this is a small window to be reported missing
Without picking holes in that timeline (well ok I am)- something is amiss and being mis reported- he had 1% battery at 8.15 on the phone call and at 8.50 sent a pin- 1% on an iPhone and it’s about to automatically switch off, there is no possible way it sent a pin half an hour later.

mother of missing Jay Slater has revealed there has been a new sighting of her son.
Debbie, 55, told MailOnline: 'Someone has come forward to say they saw someone who they thought was Jay walking back down the road sat on a bench.
'He was with two men looking a bit worse for wear, and they were by a church, this guy has come forward and told the police about it and they are looking into it. We don't know if it was Jay for sure, but it's a start.
'They said it was about 6pm which is ten hours after he was seen by the lady in the village. But if it was him what was he doing there and who are these two men?
Without feeding into further Facebook frenzy- this was shared the day after he went missing on the official Facebook page as a post. The church was still in Masca- which suggests he walked back there
This was when it was flagged again, but there was numerous posts where the mum of the sons who were with him was saying she has reported it and she does think it was him- there was then the CCTV shared a few days later. The only thing that makes me suspicious about this sighting is that Lucy was driving round to identify the apartment in Masca, it would be a very sad coincidence in such a small place if he was still there and not spotted, unless he had gone to a bar or restaurant- in which case you would think there would have been a few more confirmed sightings in the area by now, from that first day.

*eta:
1719060521737.jpeg

1719060625915.jpeg

Last edited:
Tenerife has been known as a drugs haven for a long time. The whole Malaga / Canaries / Morocco link is real and people get mixed up with it regularly. Obviously most of the time things go to plan… until they don’t, and those are the only incidences we hear about. This all came to light (for me) during the Poole case, it’s a murky bit of the world if you’re that way inclined.

And isn't it sad?

It seems beauty spots are magnets for unsavoury people bringing their criminal activities there,
taking advantage of masses of tourists -
potential customers for their illegal products.

Locals born there have no choice,
the Island is their home -

and that was a point of my post.

I met many locals while being on beautiful Tenerife,
practising my Spanish haha
and hiking there.
They are hard working people and very hospitable.

Nothing bad happened to me.
I only brought beautiful memories back home.

JMO

Last edited:
Without picking holes in that timeline (well ok I am)- something is amiss and being mis reported- he had 1% battery at 8.15 on the phone call and at 8.50 sent a pin- 1% on an iPhone and it’s about to automatically switch off, there is no possible way it sent a pin half an hour later.
I wonder if he actually had 1% battery left or if he said something like ‘I’m on like 1% battery’ which I think some people would say to emphasise the point that they were low on battery but perhaps had 10% or similar left.

The part of the timeline that makes no sense at all to me is that he was reported missing less than an hour after speaking with his friend. Do we know if the friend reported him missing by phone or at a police station in person?

I wonder if he actually had 1% battery left or if he said something like ‘I’m on like 1% battery’ which I think some people would say to emphasise the point that they were low on battery but perhaps had 10% or similar left.

The part of the timeline that makes no sense at all to me is that he was reported missing less than an hour after speaking with his friend. Do we know if the friend reported him missing by phone or at a police station in person?
She said she phoned and they hung up on her (I wondered if it was that because she was speaking English and they didn’t understand?) so she went in person and reported it. She complained they just gave her the same form she got when her phone went missing.

She did both afaik

I've read the whole thread carefully by now and while I'm new on posting here I'd like to raise a few points.
1) I have worked in a Spanish party resort before (not Tenerife), the drug dealing network is expanded in all businesses, but I believe it's very unlikely such a young person to be involved in it, especially as it was his first time abroad, it's not like they advertise career days for newcomers.
2) I'm Greek and as you have seen on the news, we had our fair share of missing tourists the last weeks. This is due to people not familiar with the area underestimating the situation. No local would start a hike, a shortcut, whatever, without water, food, protective wear, fully charged phone and a map. I can't understand how people seem to go off road so easily in such a terrain.
3) Regarding the 2 men picking up JS I had a recent experience that made me question my actions after reading the whole thread. I live in a major UK city and last weekend me and my partner came across a girl on her 20s, clearly intoxicated, late at night, asking directions, she was very distressed and speaking broken English. She wouldn't give us an address, tell her name, nothing. Just for context we are both on our 40s.
We moved on but I started feeling bad for leaving her alone, so we went back, and I asked her if she wanted me to book her a room for the night, she said no but she asked me to stay with her because she was unwell. Long story short, we took her home, made her the sofa and call it a night. The next morning (at this point only 2-3 hours after we went home) she was still very drunk, we went to a coffee shop, I was begging her to have some breakfast, but she kept saying she had to leave, she even made a scene spilling drinks etc. I offered to walk her to her accommodation, getting her an uber or take her to a hospital, she declined everything and just left. My point is, there is the chance these two men tried to help this young man, but he was reluctant to accept any help at the end.
Apologies if this is off topic, I'm just getting familiar with all the rules, I just wanted to express a different perspective on what the role of the two men might be on this story.

EBM fixing typo

Last edited:

mother of missing Jay Slater has revealed there has been a new sighting of her son.
Debbie, 55, told MailOnline: 'Someone has come forward to say they saw someone who they thought was Jay walking back down the road sat on a bench.
'He was with two men looking a bit worse for wear, and they were by a church, this guy has come forward and told the police about it and they are looking into it. We don't know if it was Jay for sure, but it's a start.
'They said it was about 6pm which is ten hours after he was seen by the lady in the village. But if it was him what was he doing there and who are these two men?
Surely if he made it to the church after 10 hours he would have come across a village of some sort where he could have found somewhere to charge his phone or something.

I know there's some controversy with this case and I haven't read about it all in complete depth, but I'm feeling as though it's gonna be a similar case to Michael Mosley, where he's either had an accident or just passed out somewhere from heat/no food/water and they'll eventually find his body. So sad for him and his family/friends if so.

The police hung up on Lucy according to her interview originally- which is a fair point in that he wasn’t missing, just slightly lost. He was a teenager who had been missing for an hour and then rang his friend and had identified the area he was in. Whilst it would have been useful in hindsight to take this more seriously, they didn’t and SAR weren’t actioned until 2.30am the following morning. There is a post of the SAR team on the official Facebook page stating the times they were notified. This also matches up to the time reported his mum was awoken in the UK and informed- so apart from Lucy on that first day, no one was looking. In between all the mixed reporting, she rang got hung up on and then went physically to report it (it’s not clear whether that was before or after she got a lift to Masca and identified where he had been staying). I wonder if in Tenerife they do have an unwritten rule of 24 hours for tourists missing who may just be hanging out elsewhere still enjoying life and Lucy had gone home at around 2.30, so that triggered the 24 hours. That’s all just guessing and trying to make some coherent sense of the multiple conflicting reports I have read in the press. I am struggling to even search and link day one press articles at the moment, so take this all as my opinion- but a confidently accurate one.

I'm not sure the current timeline in the media is being reported correctly, my understanding is the timeline is closer to this.

Monday, around 8am - Ofelia Medina Hernandez, the last known person to speak to Mr Slater, tells him the bus is due at 10am when he asks.

Monday, 8.15am - He sets off walking and she says she later drives past him "walking fast" approximately 1 kilometre from the AirBNB

Monday, 8.50am - He calls his friend Lucy Law saying he was lost as he attempted to walk from Masca to his accommodation in Los Cristianos in the south. His last live location showed as the Rural de Teno park - a mountainous area popular with hikers.

Monday, 9.04am - He is reported missing.

This also fits exactly with the time it would take to reach this point on the map (see image)

Source: Google Maps

Attachments

• Map Timeline.png
    Map Timeline.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online